Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Last thread was over 1000.

Last bit of discussion was if he has more up his sleeve to improve on his rookie season. I think, even if he doesn't (which I think he does), his game is so adaptable already, he scores and attacks in so many different ways, slumps are more of an aberration than a constant occurrence for him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That post he hit late on Sunday would have been the Leaf "Goal of the Year".
Very few players are as quick and strong with the puck as Matthews.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
What are your guys prediction for his numbers next season :)?

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
35 + 35 while being great on the PK

You think he will get PK? I was actually on thar line myself but i think he is too important to cut minutes of the pp.

Personaly i too expect his goals to go down next year

32goals 35 assists ^^

He will get put in even tougher situations i believe

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think it depends on a) if the Leafs trade Bozak and shift Nylander to centre and/or b) they move Hyman off his line for someone with more skill

In the first instance, shifting Nylander to centre means Matthews will start taking on harder matchups more often which could impact his offense .. Of course with more skilled linemates that could counterbalance that.

What's important is that he won't be taking the league by storm next year - teams will know to watch out for him and will not overlook him anymore. It is part of the sophomore season. I could see his offensive numbers drop as a result.

I still would imagine he'll get 30 goals, 60 points though at least.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
All his advanced stats from this season suggest that not only was his production sustainable, but he may even have been a bit snakebitten. All signs point to him continuing to improve, so I'll pencil him in for a 40 goal, 35 assist, 75 point season next year.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I think it depends on a) if the Leafs trade Bozak and shift Nylander to centre and/or b) they move Hyman off his line for someone with more skill

In the first instance, shifting Nylander to centre means Matthews will start taking on harder matchups more often which could impact his offense .. Of course with more skilled linemates that could counterbalance that.

What's important is that he won't be taking the league by storm next year - teams will know to watch out for him and will not overlook him anymore. It is part of the sophomore season. I could see his offensive numbers drop as a result.

I still would imagine he'll get 30 goals, 60 points though at least.

hard to say that he will get harder matchups as nylander will be a massive threat, and unchecked kadri will continue to do damage. it depends on his linemates. more of brown hyman will likely stop him from getting 40-80.

if he gets any of kapanen, jvr, korshov, marner, he should be able to hit at least 70.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Somewhat bold prediction? 45 + 45. If he plays all year with either Marner or Nylander, and doesn't have Hyman on his hip, this should be fairly attainable, and 50+45 might even be in reach.

More realistic? 40+40. If everyone comes back and the lines stay the same, a full year with Nylander on his line will improve his assist total, as well as his luck improving just a bit on secondary assists.

I don't believe there will be a sophomore slump. Not when everything about his season points to him being unlucky, rather than the opposite. I think a year of experience under his belt, knowing what he needs to do to make it through an 82 game schedule + playoffs, will give Matthews everything he needs to be even better than he was this year. Expecting anything less is selling him short.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I think he progresses next year, he will be a year stronger and smarter. Trading Bozek won't make his numbers decline IMO as he will see more time on the PP which he didn't early on. Next year I think he scores 40+ and hits 90 points.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I'd be very surprised to see him killing penalties.
I agree. Leafs have a lot of other options for the PK. I'd actually have Marner out on the PK over Matthews. As long as they're not blocking slap shots....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree. Leafs have a lot of other options for the PK. I'd actually have Marner out on the PK over Matthews. As long as they're not blocking slap shots....

Blocking shots is part of the duty. I wouldn't have any of the them killing penalties.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm with Bert. I think it depends on who we get this summer.
If we get another winger - then Hyman moves down - then we can see some different looks.

if Nylanders on Centre - I think he's not "focused" on because that's still 3 lines that can cause t.r.o.u.b.l.e.

he went 13 games w/o a goal and 7 w/o a point and still ended up with 69 points. i do think it will drop off a bit, but not by much.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
As for the OP's original question. Its clear Matthews ceiling is higher than 40 but a lot depends on injuries, line mates and team depth.
Personally I don't see him getting the sophomore slump and feel he will achieve more multipoint games than this year.
43goals 35 assists. He may miss a few games and will be at or just under PPG.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'm more excited about advancement in areas outside of stats. I'm looking for Matthews to develop and continue to be the face of the franchise.

I want to see him really take the reigns, and be the leader. I believe he's our Captain going forward, and want to see how he develops within that framework.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
His first NHL offseason complimented by his work ethic and drive train.... No sophomore slump. I predict 35 + 40 = 75

He needs some offence on either side, Hyman love affair is a bit ridiculous.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
His point totals depend a whole lot on who he's playing with. If he's got a competent winger instead of Hyman, he's going to be looking at 80-90 points. Players like Matthews don't hit sophomore slumps, he wants to get better every day so imagine having a year under your belt with playoff experience and likely being named the Captain of the team over the offseason? Yeah, he's not going to slump.

He's going to play more minutes next season and if he's not with Hyman, he's going to put up a lot more assists. I'm expecting 35 goals, 40-45 assists. That might be low to be honest.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
No Hyman? 85-90 points. 100 points if he plays with Marner/Nylander and said competent winger all year. His assists will skyrocket. 100 points sounds like a lot, but he's gotten essentially 30 playing with Hyman. 50 assists with his chance generation is quite easy and 50 goals seems like a forgone conclusion given he just scored 40 despite an unsustainable 13 game slump and having Hyman tied to his hip.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
sorry, why is he scoring less than this year exactly??

folks, this is a superstar player. they aren't like normal players.

40-40 next year, minimum. And that is hardly a lofty prediction given he played with a 4th liner on his wing all this season and did not get superstar minutes like say Crosby or Eichel do.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd expect him to hit PPG or bit above - he clearly has the skill set too.

Though his assist totals will continue to be reduced until he gets a LW who can actually finish his set up passes

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think he will flirt with 90 points next season, he's a chance-generating machine and I doubt his OISH% will be as low as it was this past season, especially as one of the best scorers in the league. Dude scored 24 goals in 41 road games this season, he's made 30-35 goals a low target now. :laugh:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
sorry, why is he scoring less than this year exactly??

folks, this is a superstar player. they aren't like normal players.

40-40 next year, minimum. And that is hardly a lofty prediction given he played with a 4th liner on his wing all this season and did not get superstar minutes like say Crosby or Eichel do.

Personally i believe he will stay more or less on same ...but less goals. Mainly because he scores most of his goals in similar fashion which means its easier to counter.

Second is teams will put alot more resources on him.

Third babcock will hand him tougher asignments due to how well he has performed and shown he can handle it.

After all he was mostly line matched with 4th lines at home (yet he did better on the road) and had the highest ozone starts on the team. I expect this to change next season.

Fourth factor is the biggest unseen factor, injuries. He played full 82 games..he may not next season.

So in my opinion, if i am correct and those do happend and he still produces about the same it still means much improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->