Auston Matthews 69 goals in 81 games, most goals scored since Lemieux in 1995-96

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
well kinda is, in 07/08 only 19 players got 70 or more points
right now we have 50 and that could still grow. couple games left this season still or atleast 1 for some
goalies of 07/08 would not be as good as they were with the current group of NHLers.
So you're measuring offensive talents 15 years ago vs today, but not defensive talents? And goalies 15 years ago were superior to what there is now in the goalie pool, not to speak about the shrinking of the goalie equipment that has happened over the last 15-20 years.

The fact is that the league is more watered down now than it was back then, defencemen were allowed to box out harder and goalies had bigger equipment. 08/09 36 goalies who had played at least 30 games had SV% above .900. This year it is 28.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wonder if Kuch and Matthews make a deal before the game

"We let you get an assist, you let me get a goal. See you in round 2"

• Haha
Reactions: Outl4w

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
So you're measuring offensive talents 15 years ago vs today, but not defensive talents? And goalies 15 years ago were superior to what there is now in the goalie pool, not to speak about the shrinking of the goalie equipment that has happened over the last 15-20 years.

The fact is that the league is more watered down now than it was back then, defencemen were allowed to box out harder and goalies had bigger equipment. 08/09 36 goalies who had played at least 30 games had SV% above .900. This year it is 28.
what im saying is there's more highend talent today and the goalies of 07/08 wouldnt lower the current average of goals by much

Reactions: WalterLundy

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
what im saying is there's more highend talent today and the goalies of 07/08 wouldnt lower the current average of goals by much
There is no chance there is more highend talent today. Not a single thing has change with regards to access to the sport, and very little has changed in training and nutrition in the last 15 years. This is beyond ridiculous to read.

Serious question, how old are you? You think Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger, Gonchar don't stack up with the high end talent of today? Did you see them play?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
There is no chance there is more highend talent today. Not a single thing has change with regards to access to the sport, and very little has changed in training and nutrition in the last 15 years. This is beyond ridiculous to read.

Serious question, how old are you? You think Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger, Gonchar don't stack up with the high end talent of today? Did you see them play?
well I disagree with you, there's just simply ALOT more high end talent rght now then there was back in 07/08. sure the game changed but that allowed better players to come in. we have higher point totals now.

alot of good Dman and goalies back then but players of today would for sure rise the goal average.

and yeah im 37 I have seen all those players play

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Imo the high end talent is similar now to years past. But how many teams were there in the 80’s (high scoring era) compared with now? The great players had other great players on their clubs. They could feed off one another. Now the talent is more spread out.

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
I dont think he will get it. Its typical leaf stuff. Their organization is so cursed and crappy this type of stuff always happens.

Look when Mathews broke the record for 4 goals in his first NHL game. The leafs still somehow lost that game lol

up 3-1 on the habs and somehow lose lol

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Reactions: Plural

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You’re right, it was pretty awesome.

Just as it would be regardless of how Matthews gets his 70th

Imo the high end talent is similar now to years past. But how many teams were there in the 80’s (high scoring era) compared with now? The great players had other great players on their clubs. They could feed off one another. Now the talent is more spread out.

There were hardly any Europeans, no Russians and American talent was scarce compared to what it become in the 90s until now. Did you see some of the teams that existed in the 80s? The league doubled in size in 70s, the WHA became a thing then the WHA merged with the NHL in Gretzky's rookie season. There probably wasn't a more watered down point in NHL history than the 70s and 80 except perhaps during WW2.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

The goalies of 07-08 wouldn't lower it at all, since they would have to play with the new equipment regulations. I don't get how people think goaltending has gotten worse with time, every single aspect of NHL hockey has been constantly improving. Things don't go backwards in professional sports.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
well I disagree with you, there's just simply ALOT more high end talent rght now then there was back in 07/08. sure the game changed but that allowed better players to come in. we have higher point totals now.

alot of good Dman and goalies back then but players of today would for sure rise the goal average.

and yeah im 37 I have seen all those players play
Fine, we can agree to disagree. You haven't really provided any factors as to why there would be higher talent now than 15 years ago, and I really can't see any logic. Its not like we unlocked new barriers for European players coming over, and we didn't see the game grow significantly compared to that time period, and we haven't had advances in nutrition or equipment that moves the needle as much as switching away to wooden sticks for example.

The league has had a natural growth of talent and viewership, but there just isn't any factors like there have been in past eras that let the talent pool grow. In fact, we have added 2 new teams in the league since 15 years ago, and if anything, the talent pool may be less concentrated than years past and the talent growth is likely negligible.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Fine, we can agree to disagree. You haven't really provided any factors as to why there would be higher talent now than 15 years ago, and I really can't see any logic. Its not like we unlocked new barriers for European players coming over, and we didn't see the game grow significantly compared to that time period, and we haven't had advances in nutrition or equipment that moves the needle as much as switching away to wooden sticks for example.

The league has had a natural growth of talent and viewership, but there just isn't any factors like there have been in past eras that let the talent pool grow. In fact, we have added 2 new teams in the league since 15 years ago, and if anything, the talent pool may be less concentrated than years past and the talent growth is likely negligible.
why would I have to break everything down to make you believe. I could give a shit if u agree or disagree with me. I just find that since 07/08 more and more and more skill has been added. we have more than double the high point producers now compared. and it for sure doesnt mean if ovechkin came to this season from 07/08 that he would simply score 80.

if you want to prove me wrong ur more than welcome to break it down to ur perspective otherwise im fine with agreeing to disagree

by the way I would agree Ovechkins 65 was more impressive given the difference in scoring but lets not pretend he would outscore Matthews by more than 10 goals.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Sorry guys, I picked him in the time hortons pool so he probably wont get 70 tonight.
I picked him yesterday.

Spider_Man_meme.jpg

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I said a week ago that he’d get 70 and Kuch would get 100 in the last game of the year against each other. Because this sport is fixed, you see.

So good news for Toronto fans hoping for 70 tonight. But I have some bad news about the script for the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I said a week ago that he’d get 70 and Kuch would get 100 in the last game of the year against each other. Because this sport is fixed, you see.

So good news for Toronto fans hoping for 70 tonight. But I have some bad news about the script for the playoffs.

The Sabres aren't in them again? Yeah we already know

Seven shots lmfao

Yeah I think he wants this.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just as it would be regardless of how Matthews gets his 70th

There were hardly any Europeans, no Russians and American talent was scarce compared to what it become in the 90s until now. Did you see some of the teams that existed in the 80s? The league doubled in size in 70s, the WHA became a thing then the WHA merged with the NHL in Gretzky's rookie season. There probably wasn't a more watered down point in NHL history than the 70s and 80 except perhaps during WW2.
There were great players from Europe in the 80’s. The ones who were good enough played here. Minus some from the eastern block.
The best nhl was the original six. The top AHL clubs were full of guys who would be NHLers now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
There were great players from Europe in the 80’s. The ones who were good enough played here. Minus some from the eastern block.
The best nhl was the original six. The top AHL clubs were full of guys who would be NHLers now.

The best NHL is the 90s until now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad