Auston Matthews 69 goals in 81 games, most goals scored since Lemieux in 1995-96

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
That is why it is called on pace. Nobody knows nothing for sure hence a thing called adjusted stats.
You don't understand how on pace works here, he is not on pace to score 60 goals a year til age 34-35. If a guy is in his prime and we're only gonna consider that prime as the window sure. But based on what are we suggesting that he will continue scoring this much that late into his career? On pace doesn't apply for 8-10+years later.

I'm a die hard Leafs fan and even I think it's foolish. When we're comparing to someone who's been great LATE into their career, we can't use on pace. Not many guys age like Ov, Crosby, Lidstrom etc, most elite players have big drop offs late.

Reactions: nturn06

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
You think offsides reviews have had a bigger impact than other rule changes that have turned the league from an 87 point Art Ross winner to regularly 120+ with multiple 50-goal scorers?
Actually not too crazy of a difference. There is.. but nothing crazy. You look at 2010 and 3 50 goal scorers. This season 3 50 goal scorers. More 40 goal scorers this day and age than before by a bit.

So yes these reviews fall victim to goal scorers quite often. Has happened to Mathews and Ovechkin alot since it was introduced.

You don't understand how on pace works here, he is not on pace to score 60 goals a year til age 34-35. If a guy is in his prime and we're only gonna consider that prime as the window sure. But based on what are we suggesting that he will continue scoring this much that late into his career? On pace doesn't apply for 8-10+years later.

I'm a die hard Leafs fan and even I think it's foolish. When we're comparing to someone who's been great LATE into their career, we can't use on pace. Not many guys age like Ov, Crosby, Lidstrom etc, most elite players have big drop offs late.
Actually thats exactly how it works. Adjusted stats are 100% exactly that and why they exist. You can argue with the historians if you want, I didnt create them.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Actually yes. Over 120 goals alone were one timers on the power play ONLY. I dont think there is any reason to make things up when it can be verified right on NHL.com
This is a weird thing to get hung up on though. Trying to make OV's goalscoring seem one dimensional is some forest for the trees stuff. At least OV has a Ross. Something which Matthews is likely never going to sniff. Even in this historic season or whatever, until his pace came off the rails, hes getting outscored by his own team mate. Even if he gets near the Ross' he's so far behind everywhere else career value wise.

Reactions: dukeofjive

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
This is a weird thing to get hung up on though. Trying to make his goalscoring seem one dimensional doesn't make sense when he at least has a Ross. Something which Matthews is likely never going to sniff. Even in this historic season or whatever, until his pace came off the rails, hes getting outscored b his own team mate. Even if he gets near the Ross' he's so far behind everywhere else career value wise.
Nothing is weird and I am not hung up on it. If I had to choose between a prime Mathews and a prime Ovie, I choose Ovie every single time.

I never mentioned anything but pure goal scoring so it seems people cant read between the lines and easily get offended by things that arent being said.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Right now OV is a very static goal scorer. Set up and let it fly every time you get the puck. And he is insanely good at this. I think it is easier for that style to work as a player gets older. Matthews scores goals in many ways. But I'd be surprised that at 35 he will be as productive since I don't see him in the same pure shooter roll that OV has adopted.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Nothing is weird and I am not hung up on it. If I had to choose between a prime Mathews and a prime Ovie, I choose Ovie every single time.

I never mentioned anything but pure goal scoring so it seems people cant read between the lines and easily get offended by things that arent being said.
My reading between the lines concludes with the idea that isolating one aspect of someone's game is an irrelevant thing. OV was a one man army in his peak, Matthews being as consistent a goal scorer doesn't mean much to me comparatively when OV was also doing everything else offensively to a better degree. My cousin can ride a bike as well as me, if you ignore that one of us is riding without training wheels.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Wat?? Your entire premise has focused on Ovechkin being the mayor of “power play city”. You haven’t mentioned a word about his EV production and when someone points out that he has, in fact, produced phenomenally at EV, you instantly shift the goalposts to “well yeah, but games played”.

It’s just dizzying the lengths you will go to to discount the accomplishments of one of the greatest goal scorers in history.

I’m going to make this super simple. Matthews MIGHT do what Ovechkin has ALREADY DONE when both their careers are over. That’s it.

But you sure have twisted and complicated my position here...

:laugh:

This is only is response to those who want to consider scoring levels but not account for other factors such as powerplay time which helped Ovechkin score more on a relative basis, but despite this both have been about equally as dominant up to the same point of their careers as goal scorers.

Hopefully you can see the difference now.

Pasternak did outscore Matthews by 20 goals last year. Who was doing that to Ovechkin in his prime?

Corey Perry had 18 more goals than Ovechkin when he was 25, same age as Matthews last season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
My reading between the lines concludes with the idea that isolating one aspect of someone's game is an irrelevant thing. OV was a one man army in his peak, Matthews being as consistent a goal scorer doesn't mean much to me comparatively when OV was also doing everything else offensively to a better degree. My cousin can ride a bike as well as me, if you ignore that one of us is riding without training wheels.

I mean, from that perspective, a centre scoring at that rate, who deals with considerably more defensive responsibilities, would be much more impressive, no?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Corey Perry had 18 more goals than Ovechkin when he was 25, same age as Matthews last season.
Ovechkin played through an injury that year. Doesn’t count.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
anyboty still believing he will reaching to be at 35 assist during regularsseasons? is he C? he only lurk for rebounds in opponentgoalarea. having no skill passing puck.

anyboty believing he might having chanche still chanche for putting 100 points to scorebourds jumbothrones before regulars? must not missing one single game and by sure he missing. he must continiueing playing 25min in 1st line and shooting all posibularyty given...and so forth. please miss 100.. you greedy goalputter. go learn game imo . if laine normal again he having 100 coin season in tank

sir av hockeyprofessor

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is the answer.

he might get to 65 this year. Would be kinda cool if they tied. But, Ovie is the superior star.

I can't sit here and say AM won't get to AO's career goal mark. It's unlikely, sure. AO went on to score a TON more into his late 30s and is still going at a 30G pace (if not much higher over the last 25 games).

The only thing that has stopped AO is a pandemic, lockout and a few suspensions. It would be quite lucky if AM could have that long of a career without injury and keeping pace.

What could have been with goal scoring marks with AO, and Jagr if lockouts and playing overseas didn't happen.
I'm watching to see if he can reach McDavids high mark of 64.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
Why is it every time I come to this thread to see whats going on with Matthews quest for 70, it's constant arguments about Ovie and him. jeez guys.

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Cool story. Read my posts. You are trying to argue something i am not arguing.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well, he’s not getting to 60 quicker than McDavid who did it in 72 team games.

Why do team games matter?

Back when Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr played there were only 80 games but no one excludes the last 2 games of all of McDavid's stats.

Funny how goal scoring already down the stretch becomes harder

Or missing Marner for 3 weeks

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Actually yes. Over 120 goals alone were one timers on the power play ONLY. I dont think there is any reason to make things up when it can be verified right on NHL.com

Are we forgetting that he has a personal highlight reel probably 50 goals long of crazy individual efforts from his heyday?

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Why do team games matter?

Back when Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr played there were only 80 games but no one excludes the last 2 games of all of McDavid's stats.

Or missing Marner for 3 weeks
I just meant in general , gosl scoring pace almost always seems to slow down just like McDavid last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad