Aussie Penguin coming to America.

Toxic Holocaust

May 6, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys. First off, feel free to delete this thread if it's not in the right area.

I'm a lifelong Pittsburgh fan from Melbourne, Australia ever since I started watching 66 and 68 as a ten year old in the mid-90's!
I'm finally getting the chance next year at the age of 30 to fulfil a dream of seeing the Pens live!

I need some advice/help on getting tickets and choosing where to sit.
I'll be holidaying in New York, and due to other commitments, the only game I can get to is April 9th in Philly versus the Flyers!

I'm wondering when tickets go on sale, and what is the best site to get them? I've looked at Stubhub and some other similar sites. Seats are available already on there. I found 2 seats first row directly behind the Penguins bench. Do people recommend sitting here? The thought of being so close to the players is awesome, but I've read that the view of the game is compromised?

Also, being in Philly, I expect the crowd to be hostile! How many of you generally attend games in Philly, and is there anything I need to be aware of???

Thanks guys, hope you don't mind me asking all these questions! Can't wait for hockey to start again.

Last edited:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Probably should ask Flyer fans what it's like there though I'm sure some here have been.

I will say yes front row seats suck. You can only see half the ice. Try getting a few rows back.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Yea, glass seats are the absolute worst. Hockey arenas are small, you're never far from the action, even in the "nosebleeds". I prefer a higher seat, center ice, so that I can see plays develop.

I would recommend sitting anywhere between 20-40 rows back, center ice.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
In addition to sitting close to the center ice line, I also like sitting 15 or so rows up in one if the corners. Still have a good view of the entire ice although a much closer view of one net for the three periods. If choosing this, I would check to see which net the Pens will be shooting at twice.

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012
I've come over from NZ a few times and a few years ago and got 2nd row seats right in the corner, because I thought i'd treat myself to "better tickets" than up in the cheap seats which I usually get.

Stupidest idea ever, couldn't see **** all outside of the zone and was almost looking through 50 meters of plexiglass when following the play down the other end, almost felt like a waste of money. I ended up going to another game on the same trip but sat back up in the nosebleeds.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Hey guys. First off, feel free to delete this thread if it's not in the right area.

I'm a lifelong Pittsburgh fan from Melbourne, Australia ever since I started watching 66 and 68 as a ten year old in the mid-90's!
I'm finally getting the chance next year at the age of 30 to fulfil a dream of seeing the Pens live!

I need some advice/help on getting tickets and choosing where to sit.
I'll be holidaying in New York, and due to other commitments, the only game I can get to is April 9th in Philly versus the Flyers!

I'm wondering when tickets go on sale, and what is the best site to get them? I've looked at Stubhub and some other similar sites. Seats are available already on there. I found 2 seats first row directly behind the Penguins bench. Do people recommend sitting here? The thought of being so close to the players is awesome, but I've read that the view of the game is compromised?

Also, being in Philly, I expect the crowd to be hostile! How many of you generally attend games in Philly, and is there anything I need to be aware of???

Thanks guys, hope you don't mind me asking all these questions! Can't wait for hockey to start again.

Greetings, mate!

Glad to hear that you get to fulfill the dream of seeing the Pens live! Philly is NOT the best choice of venue; Philly fans can be obnoxious -- and definitely the Philly "attitude" is a real thing. That "attitude" exists all up and down the east coast, from DC/Baltimore, through Jersey and New York City, and on up to Boston. In my opinion, folks in these areas are not nearly as friendly as those from the 'burgh. Even though Philly and Pittsburgh are in the same state, they couldn't be more different, in terms of the people. I went to Penn State University, which is right in the middle of the state -- and lots of people from both Philly and Pittsburgh attend. The difference between the two groups was striking -- a stark contrast.

In any case, you'll be in "enemy territory" as a Pens fan in Philly.

I agree with those that said right next to the glass is NOT the best place to watch a game from, IF your interest is actually watching the game, and watching plays develop. I've sat in both -- seats higher up, and seats close to the glass. I prefer seats either near center ice, about mid-level, or else, as Nakawick said, a bit in one corner, about midway up -- on the end where the Pens shoot twice.

That said, given that this is your one shot at seeing a game live, you might like the "atmosphere" that you get, from sitting close. There's definitely a different experience you get, being that close to the players and to some of the action. I think you have to decide if you want the "experience" of being right next to the players, hearing what is being said, and being basically "in the action" so to speak, or whether you'd rather watch the game and really pay attention to what's happening on the ice, how plays are being executed, etc.

Whatever the case, it will be great fun. Live hockey games are incredible -- SO much better than watching on TV. The atmosphere is electric, and you'll remember it forever. Have fun!

Steve

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What others have said.

To me about 15 to 20 rows back is the perfect mix of close to the ice but far enough back to see everything. My tickets are in the corner where they are on offense for two periods, and those have the benefit of a great view but a bit less costly than ones right in the middle.

There are not many downright bad seats though.

Toxic Holocaust

May 6, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks to all for the feedback!!

I'm definitely sad that I won't be able to make it Consol for a game. I've been warned to NOT wear a Crosby jersey to the game, unless I want to be covered in beer & mustard!!

I'm 50/50 at the moment regarding seating. Sitting behind the Pens bench would be incredible, to see the guys up so close, and experience how they interact at that level. But the horrible view is scaring me off.

I think I'm leaning to maybe 10-15 rows back on centre ice.

I'm assuming Stubhub is reliable? I've never used one of these types of ticket outlets.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
As someone who has been to quite a few Pens-Flyers game in Philadelphia, I'll throw my two cents in.

- If you're going to wear Pens gear, be prepared to be heckled pretty good. Hopefully salty language doesn't offend you.
- I'd try to avoid sitting real high up, generally the higher up you are, the worse it's going to be
- I've never had anything get to a physical level, but I've had a few beers "spilled" on me, so there's that
- Hopefully someone is going with you. Though as a Pens fan, I would never take children under 12 or a significant other there for a game.

Other than that, it's a blast!

Hope you enjoy the game!

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Thanks to all for the feedback!!

I'm definitely sad that I won't be able to make it Consol for a game. I've been warned to NOT wear a Crosby jersey to the game, unless I want to be covered in beer & mustard!!

I'm 50/50 at the moment regarding seating. Sitting behind the Pens bench would be incredible, to see the guys up so close, and experience how they interact at that level. But the horrible view is scaring me off.

I think I'm leaning to maybe 10-15 rows back on centre ice.

I'm assuming Stubhub is reliable? I've never used one of these types of ticket outlets.

As someone who has been to quite a few Pens-Flyers game in Philadelphia, I'll throw my two cents in.

- If you're going to wear Pens gear, be prepared to be heckled pretty good. Hopefully salty language doesn't offend you.
- I'd try to avoid sitting real high up, generally the higher up you are, the worse it's going to be
- I've never had anything get to a physical level, but I've had a few beers "spilled" on me, so there's that
- Hopefully someone is going with you. Though as a Pens fan, I would never take children under 12 or a significant other there for a game.

Hope you enjoy the game!

As a Flyers fan this is what you can expect. The heckling will be bad, if you just take it on the chin no worries nothing crazy will happen. If you go in acting like a tough guy and can't, good luck to you. Stubhub is perfectly reliable its how I get all my tickets. And to echo the advice above. Get seats in the lower level. The higher up you go the more "rowdy/hostile" it will get, but down in the lower level you'll mostly run into suits and families. Cheers, have a great time :)

Last edited:

Toxic Holocaust

May 6, 2014
Melbourne, Australia

Hope you enjoy the game!

Thanks for the feedback! No, offensive language won't bother be, nor will a bit of heckling. I'll definitely be keeping my head down, as I don't want my holiday ruined due to a hockey incident!

I won't wear a Pens jersey, but may wear a hat or something, and keep my cheering to a reasonable level. Unless of course Crosby scores a hat trick!!

One last query.... Is it better to purchase stubhub tickets as early as possible, like NOW, or can you find bargains closer to the game? Keep in mind this game is over 7 months away!

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Thanks for the feedback! No, offensive language won't bother be, nor will a bit of heckling. I'll definitely be keeping my head down, as I don't want my holiday ruined due to a hockey incident!

I won't wear a Pens jersey, but may wear a hat or something, and keep my cheering to a reasonable level. Unless of course Crosby scores a hat trick!!

One last query.... Is it better to purchase stubhub tickets as early as possible, like NOW, or can you find bargains closer to the game? Keep in mind this game is over 7 months away!

With stubhub, there is no guarantee that seats like you want will be available later. If you find something you'll be happy with for a price that you're willing to pay, you should probably lock it down. It would suck to take a chance on this once-in-a-lifetime trip and end up with seats you aren't happy with.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
While I will admit, glass seats are somewhat bad from a "ice viewing" perspective, its pretty freaking awesome when two guys come crashing in.

I bought some 1st row seats, kind of behing the net, just before the seats start turning for the corner section. Id say it was maybe 4 seats to the left of the goalie (MAF was on my end for two periods). Dude, its awesome. Shots ringing off the glass in front of your face, body checks and faces smushed against the glass, stuff like that. Its amazing watching the play from that vantage point.

Sure, if the glass breaks, you're in for a world of hurt. Luckily, this didnt happen and imo, it was freaking awesome.

I wouldnt want to sit there often but for a one time thing, yeah, it was pretty .. what do the kids say ... epic? :P

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I prefer glass because it gives you a perspective you don't get on TV- how big and fast and skilled the players actually are.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Aussie OP i'd go for the glass if you're only going to watch one game in your life, it's so different from tv & if you want an ever more unique perspective go behind the Pens bench but a couple of rows higher so your view of the ice isn't too hindered.

The speed of the game mate, the speed!!!

Have fun!

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
When I sit on the glass, I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer directly behind one of the goalies. You can still see the other end of the rink, and the corners don't get obscured by the reflection of the glass. NEVER sit in the first ten rows in the corners of the rink. I made that mistake once and ended up watching the jumbotron half the game. It was awful.

Any seat at center ice is going to be awesome. I almost sat behind the bench last year, but opted against it at the last moment.

As for you going to Wells Fargo...good luck. Most likely you will be fine if you sit in the lower level with the richer, more civilized people (it's this way at any arena you go to), and just keep to yourself. I try not to make an ass of myself any ANY arena, home OR away. To be honest sports in American are much more civilized than in other countries in Europe, etc. If people think football or hockey crowds get rowdy, they should go see a european football match in England. It's absolute anarchy over there. You have nothing to worry about, honestly.

Toxic Holocaust

May 6, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Aussie OP i'd go for the glass if you're only going to watch one game in your life, it's so different from tv & if you want an ever more unique perspective go behind the Pens bench but a couple of rows higher so your view of the ice isn't too hindered.

The speed of the game mate, the speed!!!

Have fun!

Absolutely! The speed of the game down at ice-level makes me think I've got to experience it.

Really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks guys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad