AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just watched the replay of the slash, Hoyle lays down a two hander first on Murphy, and it is Cianfrone that two hands Murphy behind the net, and gets absolutely nothing.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Not sure who two handed Murpky behind the net, but it sure looked like the stick was high upper body and close to the face. Lot's of shouting from both benches towards the stripes, all night long.
Peddle not showing much class!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I just watched the replay...looks like it was Cianfrone. He hit him up high into the boards behind Marchand and then swung his stick down. He never got anything in terms of penalty/misconduct out of it either.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Things have to get better for Moncton from here on out. They are losing Plante but gaining at least two big recruits who red shirted this season including a much needed number one goaltender.

This will be a big offseason for them. Judes Vallée was hired because the alumni were upset with the lack of quality recruits.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Things have to get better for Moncton from here on out. They are losing Plante but gaining at least two big recruits who red shirted this season including a much needed number one goaltender.

This will be a big offseason for them. Judes Vallée was hired because the alumni were upset with the lack of quality recruits.

Word is they might have 4 other Q recruits lined up for next year...per Victor Findlay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Opening round:

SMU vs UPEI - I know they've been much better the second half but I don't think the Panthers have the defensive capability to shut down the Huskies defense . Just last week they humbled them 9-1. Panthers might be able to steal one at home but I consider the Huskies to be heavy favorites.

Acadia vs Dal - Much better chances for an upset here. Dal has the goaltending and D to frustrate any offensive minded team. However, I'm still taking the Axemen. They are just too talented. Their only worry right now should be goaltending but Steeves just has to be good not great.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was quite impressed with Dal’s defense tonight. Heck, I thought they looked better than X the night before. But I also thought UNB played better last night than they did tonight so that might be the biggest reason it seemed that way.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I was quite impressed with Dal’s defense tonight. Heck, I thought they looked better than X the night before. But I also thought UNB played better last night than they did tonight so that might be the biggest reason it seemed that way.
I think it was that DAL tried to slow the game down, while St Fx loves to go toe to toe with UNB. They are one of the teams that are able to match speed and skill with UNB. I found Saturday's game typical of having a huge game the night before, and following it up with a meaningless game, not quite the same effort.
I've said it before, DAL is a big team (or I find that they have good size), which should set up nicely for playoffs, that and some good goaltending, you just never know.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think it was that DAL tried to slow the game down, while St Fx loves to go toe to toe with UNB. They are one of the teams that are able to match speed and skill with UNB. I found Saturday's game typical of having a huge game the night before, and following it up with a meaningless game, not quite the same effort.
I've said it before, DAL is a big team (or I find that they have good size), which should set up nicely for playoffs, that and some good goaltending, you just never know.

Yup, 3-game series can be scary if you're not ready - one bad day for you followed by a good day your opponent and the season is done.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
My selection for Award Winners:

Award Winners

MVP: S. Harper (ACD)
Rookie: K. Kielly (UPEI)
Coach: B. Peddle (SFX)
Sportsman: K. Farrell (ACD)
Community Award: ?

First Team
F-1: S. Harper (ACD)
F-2: H. Garlent (SMU)
F-3: B. Leier (ACD)
DMan-1: R. MacKinnon (UPEI)
DMan-2: J. Dirk (SFX)
Goalie: C. Marchand (SFX)

Rookies
F-1: K. Kielly (UPEI)
F-2: K. Bennett (UNB)
F-3: J. Coughler (SMU)
DMan-1: D. DiPerna (SMU)
DMan-2: A. Jamieson (DAL)
Goalie: R. Parenteau (UNB)

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Is there any chance of a suspension from the Cianfrone incident or does the officials' mysterious lack of a call give him a free ride?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Is there any chance of a suspension from the Cianfrone incident or does the officials' mysterious lack of a call give him a free ride?
Although no call was made on the play (still shaking my head on how it was missed), there is a process for it to be reviewed. UNB would have to pay a fee to submit video of the slash and then I believe it goes to Pierre Arsenault for review. When Clapperton was hit and knocked out, the call on the play was boarding which didn't automatically bring any suspension. So Gardner had to pay the fee to submit video evidence that the hit deserved more than the 5 min major.
I believe that UNB plans on submitting the video.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU vs UPEI- what Panther team will we see?? The one that beat UNB 3-2, X 5-0 or the kittens who were blown out 9-1 vs SMU??
Clearly a better home team, but they will need to come up with a win in the Forum to move on. I can see the Island physically targeting Garlent and Repaci.
SMU is a clear favourite, I just can't see an upset here. SMU in 3
DAL vs Acadia-The Axe has turned it around just in time for playoffs, but they are playing a team that has some new confidence, especially with the recent lopsided win over ST FX in Antigonish.
Again, which Dal team shows up?? This one should go 3 and an upset is possible.
Acadia in 3.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
SMU vs UPEI- what Panther team will we see?? The one that beat UNB 3-2, X 5-0 or the kittens who were blown out 9-1 vs SMU??
Clearly a better home team, but they will need to come up with a win in the Forum to move on. I can see the Island physically targeting Garlent and Repaci.
SMU is a clear favourite, I just can't see an upset here. SMU in 3
DAL vs Acadia-The Axe has turned it around just in time for playoffs, but they are playing a team that has some new confidence, especially with the recent lopsided win over ST FX in Antigonish.
Again, which Dal team shows up?? This one should go 3 and an upset is possible.
Acadia in 3.
I agree with you, which Boes shows up? Which UPEI team shows up, one thing is for sure, I wouldn't be comfortable placing a larger wager on either series. Should be some very entertaining hockey!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Sadly, I'll miss the 1st round of playoff as I've also missed the entire 2nd half. Meandering my way home from the deep south. Camping in Alabama with some friends . Heading East Thursday.

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
My selection for Award Winners:

Award Winners

MVP: S. Harper (ACD)
Rookie: K. Kielly (UPEI)
Coach: B. Peddle (SFX)
Sportsman: K. Farrell (ACD)
Community Award: ?

First Team
F-1: S. Harper (ACD)
F-2: H. Garlent (SMU)
F-3: B. Leier (ACD)
DMan-1: R. MacKinnon (UPEI)
DMan-2: J. Dirk (SFX)
Goalie: C. Marchand (SFX)

Rookies
F-1: K. Kielly (UPEI)
F-2: K. Bennett (UNB)
F-3: J. Coughler (SMU)
DMan-1: D. DiPerna (SMU)
DMan-2: A. Jamieson (DAL)
Goalie: R. Parenteau (UNB)

After looking at the majority of the games this year, I must admit that Vincent Deslauriers clearly deserves the Rookie Award. He was playing with the baddest team in the AUS and managed to get a lot of points. To anyone who saw Moncton plays this year, he was the most flashy player in this team; no doubt.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Have to agree that there was a great rookie group this year, however with UNB's huge turnover I think Gardiner MacDougall deserves the nod as Coach of the Year!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Yes - UNB had a lot of turner over, but that's the nature of USPORTS hockey and having almost the exact same season for wins and pts is amazing, but their GF dropped 20 and the GA increased by 7. So, not the same dominate team it was the previous season. Not sure that's worth a CoY award - great accomplishment, but for an established program - kind of the 'same old'.

I figure it's Peddle. SFX is one of the few teams to improve from last year (from 3rd to 2nd) with 6 more wins & 14 more pts.

Acadia dropped from 2nd to 3rd, SMU remained 4th, but with 7 fewer points, UPEI remained 5th with 3 fewer points, DAL moved into 7th with the same output as last year (19pts) and UdeM dropped to the basement.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I think a lot of fans were expecting X to win this year with their returning group and UNB's big losses from last season. They didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad