AUS Regular Season 2017-18

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Dal 7-3 over X , from Antigonish.
Dal playing like a beast right now! High octane and very physical. They won't be a playoff pushover.
UNB take over first place with the 5-4 road win over SMU.
Acadia loses at home to the Island. It's looking like PEI, also won't be a playoff pushover!
Things don't get any easier for the Axe, as they host UNB on saturday.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Wow, Dalhousie love it, been waiting for years since the Beliveau years for this team to come out always felt like they were close but never happen. Dal could be extremely playoff dangerous along with UPEI

Acadia..........I think this goes a little deeper than just injuries, all teams get hit with that and lose some games but they are playing really poor, but seems each year they fade in the second half or bow out easily in the playoffs.

The first Round Playoffs could be extremely interesting this year

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dal beating X 7-3 has to be the most shocking result of the season for me. Just can't believe they scored seven goals against X. Marchand obviously had an off night.

Wish I had been able to catch the UNB - SMU game. Sounded like a highly entertaining game to watch. SMU has now lost two one goal games in a row vs UNB.

Acadia's goaltending woes continue. Carty gets pulled for Steeves.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching the replay of the X/Dal game. After Dal’s 7th goal there was a scuffle at the Tigers bench...couldn’t really tell who started it but not sure I’m willing to give St. FX the benefit of the doubt given this isn’t the first time this has happened after they start getting blown out. X had 6 guys on the ice involved to Dal’s 4 from what I could tell from the video.

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
Watching the replay of the X/Dal game. After Dal’s 7th goal there was a scuffle at the Tigers bench...couldn’t really tell who started it but not sure I’m willing to give St. FX the benefit of the doubt given this isn’t the first time this has happened after they start getting blown out. X had 6 guys on the ice involved to Dal’s 4 from what I could tell from the video.

Also watched the replay, the Dal player clearly celebrates towards X’s bench on that 7th goal, which if you know anything about hockey, is a no-no in the unwritten rules, especially on a 7th goal. He then proceeded to run into the X player and another Dal player two-handed said X player in the back of the legs, quite viciously. The Acadia game earlier this year might have been a little different. But to imply anything other than that, is pretty unfair to X and their coach. Especially if you’ve ever seen the way Thomas runs around and acts out there.....

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Was the penalty against UNB with 8 seconds left legitimate or was it a "Gifted" Power Play for Acadia in OT?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought it was legit...might argue that it was a bit iffy given when it occurred though. I can’t remember who was hit (Fioretti maybe??) but he was definitely shook up and was down on the ice for a bit before eventually skating off.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I missed it but wondered if it was a hit or collision and if the penalty call was made right away or after the player stayed down? Thanks for response.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think it was probably more an accidental collision than a hit. The fact that it was a big collision and that he stayed down and appeared hurt could’ve swayed the official to make a call I suppose...I’m not sure how quick the whistle blew though.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
When UNB and X play on Friday night it will be the perfect scenario. Winner of the game gets first place. Saturday's games don't matter.

As long as it’s a regulation win. An OT/SO win won’t clinch anything that night.

Basically, each team has their fate in their own hands next weekend.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is the first time 1st place has come down to a head to head game in the final weekend since 2013-14 when UNB beat Acadia 2-0 in Wolfville. Don’t know if there has ever been a case where the game was at the AUC.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is the first time 1st place has come down to a head to head game in the final weekend since 2013-14 when UNB beat Acadia 2-0 in Wolfville. Don’t know if there has ever been a case where the game was at the AUC.

Yes - in 2014, UNB and ACD had won their Friday night games and UNB had a 2pt lead over ACD, but they had a losing record vs ACD (1-2). They needed to win or get 1 pt in OT to win outright or go to a GF/GA tie-breaker if they lost in regulation. They won the game (extended their lead to 4pts) and the pennant.

Year - Pennant Winner - Game - Versus - Runner-up
2017 - UNB - G25 - PEI - ACD
2016 - UNB - G27 - STU - SFX
2015 - UNB - G27 - UDM - ACD
2014 - UNB - G28 - ACD - ACD (UNB @ ACD)
2013 - UNB - G25 - SFX - SMU
2012 - UNB - G27 - PEI - SMU
2011 - UNB - G23 - PEI - SMU
2010 - UNB - G22 - UDM - ACD
2009 - UNB - G27 - PEI - SMU
2008 - UNB - G24 - ACD - SMU
2007 - UDM - G24 - SFX - UNB
2006 - ACD - G27 - DAL - UDM
2005 - ACD - G28 - SMU - UDM (ACD wins while UDM loses in G28 and ACD wins Tie-breaker 2-0 over UDM)
2004 - SFX - G28 - ACD - UNB (SFX wins while UNB loses in G28 and SFX leapfrogs over UNB for 1st by 1pt)
2003 - STU - G28 - UDM - DAL (both teams win G28 and STU maintains their 2pt lead)
2002 - DAL - G28 - ACD - SMU (both teams win G28 and ACD maintains their 2pt lead)
2001 - SFX - G28 - ACD - STU (SFX loses in OT while STU loses in Regulation - SFX(39pts) vs STU(37pts)

It's been awhile since the last game of the season was the deciding game for 1st place. Most recently 2014 - which is the last time the two teams in the race played each other. There have been some last weekends in the mix but against other teams. With UNB having some dominant seasons - it's less regular. Certainly not as crazy as the early 2000s were!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The other two games tomorrow have serious playoff implications as well.

UPEI and Dal are tied in points and tied in head to head games against each other.

SMU is four points up on Acadia but the Axmen have a game in hand. Since that game is against Moncton it is safe to say that they would jump ahead of the Huskies for third if they win tomorrow night.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The other two games tomorrow have serious playoff implications as well.

UPEI and Dal are tied in points and tied in head to head games against each other.

SMU is four points up on Acadia but the Axmen have a game in hand. Since that game is against Moncton it is safe to say that they would jump ahead of the Huskies for third if they win tomorrow night.

Yup - lots of meaningful games on the last weekend - it's great.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
In the AUS currently, with 2 games to go, SFX has had the most Power Play Opportunities (PO) at 163 while UNB is 6th with 142. The number of Total Short-Handed events (TSH) lists SFX as 2nd best with 135 while UNB is 5th with 159.

Now - what does this mean you might ask. SFX has a differential of +21, which means they have more Power Plays than Penalty Kills in their favour while UNB is -17, they have more Penalty Kills than Power Plays. That said, there will be winners and losers throughout the season. In the AUS this season SFX, SMU & PEI are winners, Moncton is equal and UNB, DAL and ACD are losers (where they have more penalties than power plays).

I think someone asked if UNB was penalized more at home vs away. Well, I looked into UNB and SFX and found the following. Not a comprehensive look at the entire league though.

UNB at home is -12 (77 PKs vs 62 POs) vs away at -5 (82 PKs vs 77 POs). So, they have better numbers on the road (worse numbers at home) but the trend is the same (negative). They also have two(2) more road games totaled here with two home games to go.

SFX at home is +6 (76 PKs vs 82 POs) vs away at +22 (59 PKs vs 81 POs), that's right - they have way better numbers on the road. Even with two more road games to go. Add to this a PP% of 27% and you can see that they have a lot of extra offence from the PP. Stay out of the box if you're the home team.

Finally - lets look at 5-on-5 performance (season)

UNB Total goals = 119 - 26 (PPG) = 93 / 28 = 3.32/game
SFX Total goals = 108 - 45 (PPG) = 63 / 28 = 2.25/game

Lets look at 5-on-5 performance (H vs A)

UNB-H Total goals = 67 - 11 (PPG) = 56 / 13 = 4.30/game
SFX-A Total goals = 51 - 23 (PPG) = 28 / 13 = 2.15/game

So - stay out of the box vs SFX and you should win.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
So - stay out of the box vs SFX and you should win.
That will depend entirely on who is assigned for this game. I did some quick math, when one particular referee does UNB games, he averages 37.5 min/per game against UNB and 20mins/game versus whoever they are playing. Now for the rest of their home games, UNB averages 19.7 mins/per game and opponents average 16.9 mins/per game. Just hoping that he is not assigned to tonight's game!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It’s always interesting to me when good teams have significantly more penalties called on them than against them. You would think good teams control play more and have the puck more often so wouldn’t need to take as many penalties as weaker teams would.

Perhaps it’s a bit of a case of “officiating to the score” as well. What’s a couple power plays to Moncton when they are down big to UNB or X or whoever.

Having said that, UNB needs to be way more disciplined going forward no matter how good their PK has been. As Drummer’s numbers show, UNB is great 5 on 5, especially at home. Can’t give other teams extra chances on the power play as that could be the difference needed for them to turn a loss into a win.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Interesting game tonight, honestly thought that UNB was in trouble after how they played in the first, but were able to put it together in the second. Very entertaining game, spirited affair I think is the term that they use LOL. My question is, does Gardner spend the cash to submit the video of the slash behind StFx's net? I believe that it was Murphy that took the two hander to the head. Not sure how there no penalty called on the slash.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That will depend entirely on who is assigned for this game. I did some quick math, when one particular referee does UNB games, he averages 37.5 min/per game against UNB and 20mins/game versus whoever they are playing. Now for the rest of their home games, UNB averages 19.7 mins/per game and opponents average 16.9 mins/per game. Just hoping that he is not assigned to tonight's game!

Was said ref assigned to this game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad