AUS Regular Season 2017-18

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Looked bad that's for sure. It looked like a possible broken ankle, leg etc, but it sounds much more positive, which is a breath of fresh air!
UNB 2-1 over X
That was a hell of a game, one that saw X have several pp chances. Marchand was rock solid.
UNB, also with solid goaltending from Dubeau and a much better effort than the last meeting with X.
I don't want to take anything away from the game on the ice, but the cast in stripes were not good last night.
Clarke's goal shouldn't have happened, as there should have been an interference call on the Clapperton hit. Ask the broadcasters?
UNB should have been on the pp, but no call and X took advantage, on the Clarke goal that tied it up.
Shortly after, a UNB player tripped up off the face off, no call, no call on a second trip and then X granted a gift on the pp with a couple minutes left on the clock, UNB coaching staff were flamed.
X got the better of the calls, but unlike last Saturday, didn't capitalize on their chances.
For X, no Kontos or Dunnick, for the Reds, no Simpson again.
UNB takes over first by a point.

Acadia looks like a better team to start off the second half, unlike previous years , when they would be at the top at the break , only to falter in January.

'

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
According to the game recap it was a dislocated knee.
Having had two that was my initial thought when I saw expression on his face and how he was trying to hold his body position on ice. Hopefully minimal damage and he is back on ice soon.

Aside from that a highly entertaining game between two solid teams.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Having had two that was my initial thought when I saw expression on his face and how he was trying to hold his body position on ice. Hopefully minimal damage and he is back on ice soon.

Aside from that a highly entertaining game between two solid teams.

Not exactly sure how he did it though. The commentators mentioned that the ice wasn't great due to the unusual warm temperatures.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 3 - SMU 2 - Talk about two different games in one. The VReds dominated SMU in the first outshooting them 19-4 and scoring two goals. Everything changed from then on. Huskies outshout UNB 19-12 the rest of the way. Dubeau actually made some big saves. SMU could have easily won this game.

Dalhousie 4 Moncton 0 - Tigers move three points ahead of Les Aigles for the final playoff spot.

UPEI 5 Acadia 1 - WTF?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB 6 Acadia 0
Acadia schooled tonight, 0-9 on the pp, shots 37-15.
The V-Reds are a ton of trouble to play against when they get things clicking.
UNB was also 0-4 on the pp, but despite doubling the Axemen in shots, they take double the penalties??

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Heading into this weekend I was pretty confident Acadia was better than SMU...but now I’m not so sure. I know Acadia has a ton of injuries right now but I think I would much rather face them in the playoffs than the Huskies.

Reactions: Rob

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
UPEI has played very well in some games against UNB this year and I've actually been surprised that they haven't done better record wise. They now have recent wins against X and UNB.
They could be a tough playoff opponent.

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
At the rate we are at. Would anyone be surprised if PEI was to upset Acadia in the first round of the playoffs? I don't understand what it is about that team. They shoot themselves in the foot in the second half of the season. They run around out there like chickens with the heads cut off. That team seems to lack leadership, and I don't want to insult anyone, but if this was the pro-level, a coaching change would have come long ago with this kind of turmoil in the last few years.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Even considering Acadia's post Christmas play in several recent seasons the last 3 losses have reached a new level. The fact that so many players didn't dress (only 2 reported injuries) for the UNB game certainly didn't help.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I wouldn't want to play UPEI in the first round of the playoffs - they have home wins vs SFX, ACD and UNB over the past three weekends. The ACD/SMU battle for 3rd is looming large now. With the confidence to win at home, they would have two chances at a road victory to win the series. Probably the most dangerous team right now, but we have 3 weekends to go. UPEI's game vs Dal on the 9th could be the deciding factor as to who ends up in 5th & 6th

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Ouch, ouch, ouch and ouch for Acadia. 4 losses in a row and falling into 4th place.

UNB bounces back with 7 goals against Moncton but had a disappointing 3rd period.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Something isn’t right with Acadia that’s for sure. I’d be shocked...except we have seen this same story plenty of times before.

Wasn’t someone on here earlier in the season saying how Acadia has the best defense in the league?? They are barely better than Dal right now in terms of goals against.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Has anyone heard anything about Acadia's recent problems? It's not just that they've lost 4 games in a row but the games haven't really been close. In those 4 games in losses to UPEI, UNB, St. FX and now Dal, they have been outscored 21 to 4.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think what people fail to realize is the Acadia has had a slew of injuries and some suspensions. Your depth is tested in situations like this. They've had 3-4 defense men out for prolonged periods and have had to use forwards in that slot which depletes their forward line. The bottom line is that you can't win every game. Or, you can win every game but one and get swept in the 1st round.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Thank you AUS Fan, that helps explain their recent play. When they played at UNB there were 8 lineup scratches but only two were announced on the webcast as injuries, following the loss at UPEI the night before.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think what people fail to realize is the Acadia has had a slew of injuries and some suspensions. Your depth is tested in situations like this. They've had 3-4 defense men out for prolonged periods and have had to use forwards in that slot which depletes their forward line. The bottom line is that you can't win every game. Or, you can win every game but one and get swept in the 1st round.

Heh...nice jab at UNB.

Obviously you aren’t going to win every game and yes, they have been decimated by injuries and suspensions this season, but it’s not necessarily the fact they have lost four in a row, it’s the manner. Getting outscored 21-4 is terrible no matter how you slice it, especially by a top team and especially this time of year. It’s not like they have just been on the wrong end of some close games. Also, looking at the boxscore from Saturday night, it looks like they dressed not only a full line-up, but their best line-up...so no excuses for that 6-2 loss to Dal.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Thank you AUS Fan, that helps explain their recent play. When they played at UNB there were 8 lineup scratches but only two were announced on the webcast as injuries, following the loss at UPEI the night before.

In the UPEI game they had 2 guys injured and a Major penalty.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
They have also gotten terrible goal-tending in recent games. Steeves, who was the hero last season has not been good.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Les Aigles have been eliminated from the playoffs after their loss to Dal.

The Tigers are actually tied with the Panthers for 5th place (the latter has one game in hand). Corbin Boes coming back to form in the second half has a lot to do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad