AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
If it meant more exhibition games against quality opponents, I would be in favor of a shorter regular season.
The only issue is where are these quality opponents going to come from, this preseason proved difficult to find the right opponents, teams will need to travel further to find someone.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The only issue is where are these quality opponents going to come from, this preseason proved difficult to find the right opponents, teams will need to travel further to find someone.

The only quality opponents outside the AUS are in CW (Alberta and Saskatchewan), the NCAA (Boston) or the AHL (Toronto, Bellville & Laval). An AHL 3-game tour would be awesome to see or Ryerson/Marlies weekend in TO.

Reactions: Squirrel Forever

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Thought this was the best place for this tidbit. I'm sure it will be a hotly discussed item next season.

The 2019 Winter Universiade is in Krasnoyarsk, Russian Siberia next year.

The proposed dates are March 2 to 12th. The University Cup starts on the 14th.

The AUS is the assign conference to attend this event.

My thoughts on this - start & finish the season early to allow a full team to go after the playoffs.

I talked to John Richard about this at UCup and he said the AUS formally declined to take the lead roll & participate in the event at last Spring's meeting in Toronto. So, it's with the USPORTS Hockey Committee at this stage. He said that they (USPORTS) was going to have a meeting about it over the UCup week due to the number of representatives who were in-town, but nothing formal and no announcements.

The idea being floated is similar to the Canada/NHL/WC model - take a team of the best players from the teams that do not make the playoffs (or are out after the first round). Have a target list of 50 and massage that list as the season goes on. Work on the visas in advance and then define your team in late February. Sounds like a good plan, but there are a lot of logistical challenges and very ambitious for USPORTS who normally don't have the resources (or cry about resources and money) to manage a project like this. I suspect the same plan will be used to define the women's team.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Continuing on this 'best from the rest' the following teams would seed such a team, had it been this year.

AUS: Moncton, Dalhouse & PEI
Notable Players: G-Corbin Boes (DAL), F-Kameron Kielly (PEI), D-Ryan MacKinnon (PEI), F-Vincent Deslauriers (UdeM)

OUA-E: RMC, UQTR, Carleton, UOIT, Nipissing & Laurentian
Notable Players: F-Riley Brandt (RMC), F-Brett Welychka (CAR), F-Brent Pedersen (LAR), F-Ben Blasko (UOIT), D-Mike Robinson (UOIT) (skipped over UQTR as they shouldn't be here next year).

OUA-W: Toronto, Waterloo, Laurier, Western, Lakehead & Windsor
Notable Players: G-Colin Furlong (LAU), F-Trevor Warnaar (UWO), D-Eric Diodati (WAT), F-Brandon Robinson (LAU), F-Matt Campagna (TOR)

CW: Regina, UBC & Manitoba
Notable Players: F-Cody Fowlie (REG), F-Michael St. Croix (MAN), D-Adam Henry (MAN), F-Zach Franko (MAN), D-Jerret Smith (UBC)

Not sure if you would get more than 1 player from a team, as the team is responsible for the costs of attend (close to $6K per player).

The goalie situation is solid.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I talked to John Richard about this at UCup and he said the AUS formally declined to take the lead roll & participate in the event at last Spring's meeting in Toronto. So, it's with the USPORTS Hockey Committee at this stage. He said that they (USPORTS) was going to have a meeting about it over the UCup week due to the number of representatives who were in-town, but nothing formal and no announcements.

The idea being floated is similar to the Canada/NHL/WC model - take a team of the best players from the teams that do not make the playoffs (or are out after the first round). Have a target list of 50 and massage that list as the season goes on. Work on the visas in advance and then define your team in late February. Sounds like a good plan, but there are a lot of logistical challenges and very ambitious for USPORTS who normally don't have the resources (or cry about resources and money) to manage a project like this. I suspect the same plan will be used to define the women's team.

I just re-read this post. Are you saying that the AUS is NOT going? Hence a CIS team? You would have the issue of some kind of training camp, somewhere among other things.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I just re-read this post. Are you saying that the AUS is NOT going? Hence a CIS team? You would have the issue of some kind of training camp, somewhere among other things.
That is exactly what he is saying. The AUS is taking a pass on their turn to represent because the World University Games will be in March. In Siberia. Which certainly interferes with AUS playoffs and the University Cup.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
That is exactly what he is saying. The AUS is taking a pass on their turn to represent because the World University Games will be in March. In Siberia. Which certainly interferes with AUS playoffs and the University Cup.

I would have to guess that if they go with a CIS team the Head Coach will not be AUS.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The coach could be from the AUS or any other conference, but they would also have to come from an 'out' team and I don't know any coach who wants to admit, at the beginning of the season, that their team isn't expected to make the playoffs.

My point was that because the AUS has opted out of this thing........

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Their not 'opting out' from participating - they just don't want to take the lead of supplying everything (players, coaches, staff, officials, etc). They (the AUS and each team) felt that committing to their traditional role of covering the expenses and travel costs would be excessively burdensome this time around.

eg. a team providing a coach and 4 players could cost that team $30K (they are budgeting $6k per person)

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Read that Acadia is losing 9 players from this season. So obviously a big recruiting year for them. I think a number one goalie would be on their agenda.

UNB will be losing only two for sure. (Willick and Thomas).

SMU losing Alex Cord and Steven Shipley.

X has lost Jagger Dirk.

UPEI has lost Ryan Mackinnon.

Lots of 4th year players on teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad