AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
For Hoyle, his suspension is automatic, so he had to miss the UPEI game and that settles his discipline.

For Cianfrone, he had no penalties called against him in the UNB or UPEI game so his suspension is related to video UNB sent in and was required to be served in G1.

As for Needham - not sure what the issue is. The rule listed above is clear that he has to sit the next game for 'Check to the Head' in the event that supplemental discipline is applied later - which he did do. SFX must have though that was the end of it.

It could be UNB sent video to the league about an unrelated incident which resulted in a new 1-game suspension which had to be served in game 1 (this is my bet).

A suspended player is not allowed on the ice for warm-up and you can't be on the bench (even in a coaching capacity), so they must have thought he was eligible but someone pointed it out to them and they pulled him off. Would have been really embarrassing if they would have had to forfeit game-1 due to an ineligible player (and it had been a win)

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
It could be UNB sent video to the league about an unrelated incident which resulted in a new 1-game suspension which had to be served in game 1 (this is my bet).
Both UNB and St FX submitted video, the slash on Murphy, I wasn't aware of the Needham video, Pomerleau's suspension was from the video that X submitted.

Better game I thought tonight for UNB, SMU plays them so well though. Nice to see Dubeau stepping up his game, definitely deserved the first star tonight.

See that X bounced back with a 3-0 win tonight.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
To those discussing the Needham suspension, it was handed down on Feb 16, 1 week after the game, as a result of video sent in by UNB. To suggest that SFX sat him in the following game to mitigate a possible suspension down the road is a bit of a stretch. In the case of a Major penalty that would be in keeping with the rule described above. I can't see Leo MacPherson being naive enough to think that, but who knows?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Further to last night's game at SFX, they were the better team. The addition of Needham and Cianfrone gave them added speed up front. Their forecheck was fast and aggressive for most of the game. Unlike the game Thursday where ACA was able to skate with them 5-on-5, the Axemen struggled at times to find the pace. The ACA PP was not very good; they had difficulty penetrating the zone and when they did, Marchand was more than ready. He made several good saves. Special teams ruled the night, with SFX scoring twice on the PP and adding a Shortie. 4 of the 5 SFX goals have been PP goals. One would think that staying out of the box should be #1 item on the Whiteboard at practice today. Looking forward to Sunday night in Wolfville.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A quick note on stats: I see in both games last night that Plus/Minus were awarded on PP goals. I am of the understanding that this is incorrect. Can someone add their thoughts to this?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
A quick note on stats: I see in both games last night that Plus/Minus were awarded on PP goals. I am of the understanding that this is incorrect. Can someone add their thoughts to this?

I have noticed this quite often in the box scores as well. It is definitely incorrect. I assume it eventually gets corrected though...if you look at St. FX’s individual stats this year their +/- aren’t that impressive, which would be due to how many PP goals they scored.

EDIT - Looks like they have been fixed for the game last night.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Game #2 UNB over SMU 1-0
Close game, great goaltending from Alex Dubeau. Brassard, also very sharp in nets for the Huskies.
SMU went 0-6 on the pp, 8 minutes in the second period, but couldn't find the back of the net.
Both teams were very physical last night, lots of big hits.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I have noticed this quite often in the box scores as well. It is definitely incorrect. I assume it eventually gets corrected though...if you look at St. FX’s individual stats this year their +/- aren’t that impressive, which would be due to how many PP goals they scored.

EDIT - Looks like they have been fixed for the game last night.

Saw that. Thanks

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Same here, only realized that it was tonight after seeing a tweet on twitter, caught the last half of the third. Not much to report in that half, not many shots or chances for either team. From the stats, looked like the first period was feisty.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good game for both teams as the score indicates. Both goalies were sharp, with Masrchand making several big stops to keep them in the game, including 4 breakaway saves. Steeves was equal to the task on several good SFX chances. I'll be watching UNB-SMU Monday night.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
X holds on for 4-3 win to force a game 5 in Antigonish.
UNB eliminates SMU with a 6-2 win in Halifax, didn't see that one coming, I was expecting a big push back from SMU at home.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
X holds on for 4-3 win to force a game 5 in Antigonish.
UNB eliminates SMU with a 6-2 win in Halifax, didn't see that one coming, I was expecting a big push back from SMU at home.

Well SMU actually outshot UNB. Their goaltending let them down tonight. That second goal was as bad as they come.

Expecting a Trey Lewis suspension.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Quite the game last night in Antigonish, X jumped out to a 5-0 lead after 1, only to see Acadia bring it back to within 1 in the last minute of the third. X wins 6-5, and advances to play UNB in the best of 3 AUS finals. X also punches their ticket to Fredericton. Acadia and SMU to play a best of three to determine who gets the last AUS invite to the Ucup Finals.

Expecting a Trey Lewis suspension.

Still nothing on the AUS Discipline page on the length of his suspension, I believe that it will be a minimum of 1 game, could be more though.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
St. FX is lucky...Acadia really took it to them in at least two of those games, including the loss last night.

Acadia Dominated for most of the game last night. 3 bad goals in the 1st period put them back on their heels for a bit. If you were to swap goalies, this series is over in 3 games for Acadia. Marchand is truly their MVP. If Acadia plays the same against SMU and gets decent goaltending, they should win.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia Dominated for most of the game last night. 3 bad goals in the 1st period put them back on their heels for a bit. If you were to swap goalies, this series is over in 3 games for Acadia. Marchand is truly their MVP. If Acadia plays the same against SMU and gets decent goaltending, they should win.

I'm still picking SMU. Their first two games again UNB were one goal losses. Brassard had a terrible game three but I can see him bouncing back. Do not put much faith in Acadia's goaltending right now.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU vs Acadia
There's a berth in the University Cup at stake. Both teams are skilled up front and have solid defenders on the backend, but the goaltending will be key. Brassard played very well during games 1-2 against UNB, Steeves has been inconsistant to say the least.
Acadia has the advantage of hosting the third game, if needed. Not sure of SMU's record this season in Acadia?
If SMU can win game 1, I like their chances.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA lost the first 2 games, won the next 3. If SMU watched the 1st period the other night, they know just to put pucks on net and they'll go in. The SMU PP has been dismal as has the ACA PK. Not sure if special teams will be the difference or not. Should be a good series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->