AUS Awards

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The other coaches won't vote for Gardiner. He'd have to had a 27-win season. :)

So Peds might be the guy.

I do think Maillet is the best player in the AUS, and he did squeak out a win in the point's race. Plus he's a Francophone studying in English.

At one time I thought UNB d-man Randy Gazzola might have got rookie of the year, but Franko has scored some big goals this season, including three game winners. Gazzola will definitely be on the all-rookie team.

Duffy is probably a shoo-in for Sportsmanlike. Good call.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm re-thinking my picks and could see Franko and Duffy flip awards. Both have similar stats. Either way, I'm sure they will get those awards.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Considering the quality of UNB's player losses from last year's team, the injury losses this year to Wall and Carroll especially and the number of rookies, MacDougall should get Coach of the Year.
Looking at the drop off from top scorer to 2nd scorer I suggest Maillet and Kirkpatrick in that order for MVP.
Sportsmanship Award has to go to Franko or Duffy, tough call.
Top Rookie, I give to Gazzola because it is much harder to break in as a defenceman and look at his Plus / Minus and discipline.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
We should also talk about defenceman and goalie of the year, as they become nominees for CIS awards.

Goalie: Anthony Peters. Even though UNB's David Schantz has more wins and a better GAA, "Petey" faced more shots and has a better save percentage. This is indicative of his importance to the SMU style of play, and in my opinion he is their MVP and the Huskies will only go as far as he carries them.

Defenceman: Jordan Murray. In the final weeks UPEI's Reggie Traccitto may have squeaked by Murray and Randy Gazzola for most points by a d-man in the AUS, but the two UNB defenceman have much, much better plus/minus ratings. Traccitto is an offensive d-man. Murray and Gazzola are complete d-men; they are bigger, and do a much better job of taking care of their own end of the ice. Frankly I think Mike D'Orazio from SMU is a much better d-man then Traccitto.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Funny, I was thinking of those when I made my initial pot. Agree with Petey for top goalie from AUS. I like both Murray and Gazzola and would give the nod to Murray over a rookie. But close call ether way.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Considering the quality of UNB's player losses from last year's team, the injury losses this year to Wall and Carroll especially and the number of rookies, MacDougall should get Coach of the Year.
Looking at the drop off from top scorer to 2nd scorer I suggest Maillet and Kirkpatrick in that order for MVP.
Sportsmanship Award has to go to Franko or Duffy, tough call.
Top Rookie, I give to Gazzola because it is much harder to break in as a defenceman and look at his Plus / Minus and discipline.

Phil can't get MVP if Randy gets Rookie. Or vice versa. Kirkie can't get MVP if Peds gets Coach. Or vice versa.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Here are all of my choices....

Coach of the Year: Trevor Stienburg (SMU) improved team's record by 6 wins (13pts) went from 5th to 3rd.
Runner-up Brad Peddle (SFX) improved by 5 wins (9pts) went from 6th to 4th.
Long-shot: G. MacDougall (UNB) finished 1st with 11 rookies

MVP: B. Thompson (ACD). Maillet's 1pt lead isn't enough to get him the MVP. Thompson has more goals and is a bigger part of Acadia's offense accounting for 17% of their goals vs Maillet's 11% for UNB.
Runner-up: P. Maillet(UNB)
Long-shot: M. Kirkpatrick(SFX)

Rookie-of-the-Year: B. Duffy(SMU) usually 30+ pts for a rookie in this league wins the award.
Runner-Up: R. Gazzola(UNB), 24pts and +21 is good, but it's been 13 years since a D-man has won this award (Kevin Young-UNB with 14G+15A=29pt).
Long-shot: Z. Franko(ACD) his numbers are less than Duffy's.

Best Defenceman: J. Murray(UNB) 3rd in scoring, but plays top minutes against the other team's best line and a +/- of +19.
Runner-up: R. Traccitto(UPEI) had the top points for a DMan and the most shots, but 9 of those goals came on the PP and a +/- of +3 isn't enough to get top honours.

Most Sportsman: Z Franko(ACD) to play all 28 games, score 30+pts and only get one minor - that's pretty impressive.
Runner-up: B. Duffy(SMU)

Best Goalie: A. Peters (SMU) 2nd best SV%, basically tied for 2nd in GAA, 16 wins in 22 starts. He's not 1st in any partiuclar catagoriy, but overall the best in the league.
Runner-up: M. Parks (UPEI), on any contender - an automatic champion.
Long-shot: D. Owsley(SFX)

The Godfrey Award: have to wait and see.

1st Team All-Stars
F - B. Thompson (ACD)
F - P. Maillet (UNB)
F - A. Saulnier (UdeM)
D - R. Traccitto (UPEI)
D - J. Murray (UNB)
G - A. Peters (SMU)

2nd Team All-Stars
F - M. Kirkpatrick (SFX)
F - M. Cazzola (ACD)
F - B. Duffy (SMU)
D - R. Gazzola (UNB)