Attending an NHL draft

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I have always wanted to go to an NHL draft, and with Vancouver being close for me, I was thinking of going this summer. Has anyone ever gone to a draft, is it fun? Im sure I will enjoy it but im curious.
Thanks

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I have been to two drafts and they were fun. But I was/am a major draft geek. Most normal people would get quickly bored watching a bunch of people mispronounce names into microphones. So it depends which category you fall into.

I should note that many fans come for the first round and then leave after that. Seems like a sane sensible thing to do. I stayed for the whole day. :)

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
If you know the faces, it's great to watch who's talking to who, and sitting amongst the players and their families as they wait for their name to be called.

I was there when Cheechoo was picked. There were about 100 people there from Moose Factory to cheer him on. It was also the draft my Flames picked Fata, and the taped bio said "lacks hockey sense". The Flames were irate, but the announcer turned out to be right!

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
I loved going to the draft in Nashville, but I too am a complete Hockey geek. The Preds had the whole arena open and the Stanley Cup (and the awards trophies) was there. They also held a card show at the same time and had a "garage sale" where the Preds were selling game-used gear (rather cheaply I might add...) for charity.

psuflyer

Feb 27, 2002
Drexel Hill,PA
Visit site
If your into the draft you will defintley enjoy it. The first round is obviously the most exciting but imo the 2nd day is more fun. When I went to the draft the 2nd day the arena was mostly empty we got to sit on the first level were their were still players and agents. You get to see and here conversations between agents and players and their were GM's and coaches walking into the stands and talking to people they knew in attendance. Very cool experience on the 2nd Day.

caniacgirl12

Jun 14, 2004
Rochester, NY
I went to the draft when it was held in Raleigh. It was an AWESOME experience, as there was not only the draft to attend but alot of events where you could go see the prospects skate, ect. Plus running into a few of them at the mall or a restraunt was definitly fun as well.

In the arena they had every trophy in a case with the history of each one. That was pretty cool as well.

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
timlap said:
I have been to two drafts and they were fun. But I was/am a major draft geek. Most normal people would get quickly bored watching a bunch of people mispronounce names into microphones. So it depends which category you fall into.

I should note that many fans come for the first round and then leave after that. Seems like a sane sensible thing to do. I stayed for the whole day. :)
I haven't been to one yet since they've never had one nearby. But it sounds like Heaven!

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
Ive been to 3 drafts. St.louis, Nashville, Raleigh, and this year will be my 4th in Vancouver. Its becoming a traditon for us. Its always a blast to see fans from around NA in a freindly enviroment. In Raleigh my room was actually right across the hall from Schremps. That is something that i will never forget. That family is wild. IF he was draftd by detoroit we would have called the cops. ;)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been to both in Buffalo, the one in Pittsburgh and the one in Toronto. Get in a little early and circulate. It's amazing the number of conversations one can overhear and the people you can bump into and chat with makes it a great experience. It's also pretty cool to actually see GM's working their respective tables, on the phone and trying to get deals done. Or to talk to players, both drafted and not -- interesting tidbits on who is interested in what players and that sort of stuff.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I attended the Thornton draft in Pittsburgh. I though it was definitely a good time, especially as another poster stated, if you know the faces (personell, draftees, etc...). To keep it short, it's definitely something worth going to if you're a prospects/futures type of guy.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Anyone know where to get tickets for the 2006 Draft in Vancouver? Was thinking about going as well... Through GM Place? Ticketmaster? Canucks website?

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Words can't even describe how excited I am to attend the draft this year. It's going to be my first, my Dad actually booked the day off work and is coming over from Victoria to attend with me. A bunch of my buddies are coming as well, so there's going to be like 15-20 of us there, it's going to be a lot of fun.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As long as Ken Dryden doesn't give a 45 minute speech you should be ok. I had the misfortune of arriving on time for the 2002 draft in Toronto and was bored to tears by his never ending talk.

75% of the people leave after the local team have their first round selection.

I enjoyed it but I'm a draft geek. I will be at the one in Vancouver this year.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
hockeyGod said:
I have always wanted to go to an NHL draft, and with Vancouver being close for me, I was thinking of going this summer. Has anyone ever gone to a draft, is it fun? Im sure I will enjoy it but im curious.
Thanks
I went in 2003 Here in Nashville. Amazing event you have to go if possibile. The Week leading up to it is great with many prospect games. The 1st round is the best because each prospect goes to the stage in the 2nd and latter the just go to the team's table BTW most people stayed in Nashville through the 2nd round (we had 3 pick that round). Shea Weber was sitting in the next section to me and walked right past us and winked when he was drafted (I think he was suprised he went so high alot of the predraft reports had him in the 3rd or 4th round). I sat behind a sports director for a local TV station and he had the Offical NHL scouting report which is really in depth on like 400 players. Plus you get to see all of the trophies uncluding the Stanley Cup (worth the trip itself).

Last edited:

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I went to the '02 draft in Toronto and I was interested but I am a sports geek. My girlfriend at the time was ready to leave after the 1st pick, she toughed it out until both my Kings and Phoenix (as I'm a huge Gretzky fan) made their first round picks.

It appears that in the non-traditional hockey markets mentioned in this thread, that the draft is more of an event. All I remember about the non-draft goings on in Toronto was a small card show and a Mastercard sign-up where you get a free NHL shirt. Seems to me even the Leafs' shop in the ACC was closed. But I can't complain too much, it was free. The person in charge distributing the tickets I spoke to on the phone didn't put too much stock in day 2 of the draft. He told me that it is incredibly boring and if he wasn't paid to be there that day he wouldn't be. He told me if I didn't know anyone being projected to go in the later rounds, not to bother going. So if a staffer tells you that, obviously after the pagentry of the first round, its not worth sticking around.

vcx*

hockeyGod said:
Thanks

I am going to the vancouver one for sure, other than that no i have never been to one.

Stars-Preds

Jul 25, 2005
I went to the 2003 draft in Nashville (what a draft that's turning out to be). It was a blast and it's all free. I would recommend all hockey fans going for sure. :yo:

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
IceBreaker said:
It was also the draft my Flames picked Fata, and the taped bio said "lacks hockey sense". The Flames were irate, but the announcer turned out to be right!
:biglaugh:

That's great.

skg

Jul 29, 2005
I was at the draft the last time in Vancouver, 1990. There was a civil service strike, so they had to move it from the old 20,000 seat Pacific Coliseum to BC Place Stadium which seats 60,000. With Vancouver holding the 2,18 picks, there was a lot of local interest and some 25,000 people showed up (still a record I believe) With all the media, players, families, team staff, there must have been 30,000 people there. Incredible atmosphere. Not sure if I'm going to this years, but I'll always have fond memories of that draft. Lot of good players went in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->