Attendance up 2,4% in 2005-2006

davenash

Aug 2, 2005
Rimouski, PQ
The NHL had a record season in attendance this year with an increase of 2,4%.

20 854 169 attended an NHL game this year. That's an increase of 2,4% compared to 2003-2004. It's a 1,2% increase compared to the record season of 2001-2002.

The arenas were filled 91,7% of their capacity.

That's pretty good news.

source: SRC.CA

Last edited:

Stuy*

Was it expected to go down a lot...I know it was like that with the MLB and NBA...

Anyway a big part of this has to be due to New York finally icing a solid team again....Now all the NHL needs is the other big 3 market ( Chicago ) to bring back the fans and they're set.

rwilson99

Stuy said:
Was it expected to go down a lot...I know it was like that with the MLB and NBA...

Anyway a big part of this has to be due to New York finally icing a solid team again....Now all the NHL needs is the other big 3 market ( Chicago ) to bring back the fans and they're set.

Huh? Is MSG somehow a football stadium or something.

2.4% of 20,000,000 is roughly 500,000... The Rangers played to about 98% capacity but did not lead the way in attendance gains...

The teams that did...

Twenty-four of the 30 NHL clubs finished even with or ahead of their 2003-04 performance. The top gainers were Pittsburgh (up 33 percent), Carolina (27 percent), Calgary (16 percent), Tampa Bay (15 percent), Nashville (10 percent), Buffalo (10 percent), Ottawa (10 percent), Boston (7 percent) and San Jose (6 percent).

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Troy McClure said:
Some people here claim all these numbers are lies and that attendance is way down because they don't like the new NHL.

Attendance isn't down though. The argument is that they inflate ticket sales... which I doubt teams can do for very long after the lockout.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
PortlandRanger said:
Attendance isn't down though. The argument is that they inflate ticket sales... which I doubt teams can do for very long after the lockout.
An unused ticket is still pocketed by the team. But most of the numbers are legit to me. Only people who complain are ones bitter at losing a team or want one back, so they create these conspirices and claim the league is lying to help thier argument that their city would sell out every game (ie Winnipeg). The Irony is the if the league was to lie about attendance they would deflate numbers to make revenues seem lower to decrease the cap. Why inflate numbers?

BTW love your Avatar.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
All 6 Canadian teams played to 98% or more capacity.

Only 7 of the 24 American teams did.

Jade

Mar 31, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Not surprised after the season we've been having. But winning helps in getting people in those seats.

I'm surprised that ALL of the Canadian teams didn't have 100% sold out. ;)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
AHL MV said:
Who cares?

I guess you sure told me.

Does anyone know who the teams were who dropped? I`m guessing St. Louis would have to be one of them.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The Blues had the biggest drop at -4,300. Edmonton, New Jersey and Washington all dropped by over 800. Then come the Isles at -725, Columbus and Dallas with over -500 each and the Kings at -43.

The biggest increases were in Pittsburgh (+3,900) and Carolina (+3,500), followed by Tampa Bay and Calgary (+2,700 each).

Source: http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/leagueatt.cgi

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
No surprise attendance went up. People were starved of North American pro hockey for an entire year. You bet they're going to come back to the rinks in higher numbers. Certainly we can speculate that the rule changes and the "new" NHL played a part in this, but if you think about it, people might have gone to see games in higher numbers personally than they would have in past also because they lost a year completely. For example, a family might usually only see one game per year, this year, they might have seen a whopping TWO games! :sarcasm:

The NHL marketing department still remains one of the biggest jokes this side of the equator.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Burgs said:
The Blues had the biggest drop at -4,300. Edmonton, New Jersey and Washington all dropped by over 800. Then come the Isles at -725, Columbus and Dallas with over -500 each and the Kings at -43.

The biggest increases were in Pittsburgh (+3,900) and Carolina (+3,500), followed by Tampa Bay and Calgary (+2,700 each).

Source: http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/leagueatt.cgi

Edmonton dropped? Geezus. You lose a whole year to save teams like this, and they drop? :shakehead
--
Hurry! Only a couple of days left to enter your playoff predictions in the 2nd Annual Playoff Certainty Contest

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
reckoning said:

Actually, all Canadian teams played to 99.9% capacity. ESPN is screwed up on Edmonton's capacity.

I believe, out of 206 home games, only one was not a sellout, and that was an Oilers game that came within 200 of a sellout.

And to think clowns like Dowbiggin were trying to argue that fans would stay away from the game in droves because they "discovered something else to do."

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
reckoning said:

Only 7 of the 24 American teams did.
The US has 4 times as many NHL teams as Canada. Clearly, we like hockey four times more.

See how stupid these arguements are?

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
PecaFan said:
Edmonton dropped? Geezus. You lose a whole year to save teams like this, and they drop? :shakehead
--
Hurry! Only a couple of days left to enter your playoff predictions in the 2nd Annual Playoff Certainty Contest

Edmonton dropped because last season they played one game in a 60000 seat stadium. They were very close to 100% capacity in all other games in both season.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Troy McClure said:
The US has 4 times as many NHL teams as Canada. Clearly, we like hockey four times more.

See how stupid these arguements are?

Well, since the US has 10 times as many people, it is clear that WE like hockey 2.5 time more! ;)

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
davenash said:
The NHL had a record season in attendance this year with an increase of 2,4%.

20 854 169 attended an NHL game this year. That's an increase of 2,4% compared to 2003-2004. It's a 1,2% increase compared to the record season of 2001-2002.

The arenas were filled 91,7% of their capacity.

That's pretty good news.

source: SRC.CA

that's not really surprising info...

those who are nhl fans are some of the most loyal around...

the fan base was very excited to have the game back...

the shootout added to it...

however, that following is very muck like a cult; i.e. small in comparison to others (especially in the u.s.)...

will that ever translate into big tv ratings is the key question...

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Timmy said:
They're on hold with a secretary at NHL headquarters.
Thats still one of the funniest threads I've read on here (if anyone remembers it).

Resolute said:
And to think clowns like Dowbiggin were trying to argue that fans would stay away from the game in droves because they "discovered something else to do."
Ya, Dowbiggins an idiot. He has a article every Monday here in the Calgary Herald titled "I dont like mondays" and he whines about ****. Its a waste of column space.

I dont understand, with all the improvements in the NHL now, how someone can still base a newspapaer article on negativity. If your life is that bad, why done you just end it already.

I think he's mad becasue he thinks he's a smart hockey guy, but reality contradicts his opinions and predictions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->