Attendance at WHC exhibitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Hadn't seen this discussed yet. Attendance at the game in Halifax was well below capacity.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_Story.asp?ID=122266

A crowd of 8,471, nearly 2,000 less than capacity, was in attendance at the Halifax Metro Centre.
Also, on Mojo (Vancouver) this morning, they reported that only about 5,000 (of about 15,000 available) tickets have been sold for tonight's game in Quebec City.

Thoughts on the reasons? More backlash against the players? General hockey malaise? Not enough star power? Anyone in and around those communities have a good feel for the situation?

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Hadn't seen this discussed yet. Attendance at the game in Halifax was well below capacity.

Also, on Mojo (Vancouver) this morning, they reported that only about 5,000 (of about 15,000 available) tickets have been sold for tonight's game in Quebec City.

Thoughts on the reasons? More backlash against the players? General hockey malaise? Not enough star power? Anyone in and around those communities have a good feel for the situation?

Well, for one they are exhibition games... not terribly big draw for games that don't count. Add in the general hockey malaise and complete lack of advertising, and there you go.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
ColoradoHockeyFan said:

About 1500 upper bowl seats were all that was left (in a Q-league obsessed town), and at 60 bucks a pop, i won't pay the asking price for an exhibition game. I sat in half empty Canada Cup games in 84, I don't think it really means much. People are still wrapped up in the teams they have supported all year. Exhibition games usually make the viewer feel regretful that he didn't spend more time out in the hard-liquor portion of the outer concourse anyway...

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
ColoradoHockeyFan said:

Tix were going for $49, $59 & $69. Contrast with QMJHL Mooseheads tickets at $13.50 and they are hosting the third round of playoffs with hometown hero Crosby and Rimouski targeted for the finals. Who wants to watch a bunch of spoiled NHLers in a meaningless game for that price when we can watch energetic young kids play their hearts out.

Plus we had our nicest day of the spirng so far that day. (22 C)

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Plus 7500-8500 is about par for the course in terms of Halifax's Q-League attendance. Sure, 8400 sounds low compared to most NHL draws but is likely going to be percieved as a good crowd around Halifax.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So what was the final attendance number in Quebec? Did they get 10,000? If they want to look at it from a fans perspective, they have got to lower the prices for a game like this...no matter what happens, the fan always has the last say in these matters, the NHL and the PA better be taking notes...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Just saw an article on TSN, it says 7166 for attendance, that's bad boys, real bad...remember supply and demand...too much money for an Exhibition game. Seems like fans are starting to wake up, and play some hardball of their own...

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Like I said in another thread the PA will soon be looking for replacement players and if linkage is part of the CBA they along with the owners better work real hard, real fast and also lower ticket prices and all associated game night expenses by at least 20%.

Not a hollow threat as Trottier would have you believe. The fans are speaking out loud and clear and other than the most loyal this industry is in big trouble.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
futurcorerock said:
Didn't the Exhbition games for the World Cup sell for MUCH MUCH less?

Not in Ottawa. And pretty much sellouts too. Star power draws. Although I agree, I did wish I had spent more time in the hard liquor part of the concourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad