Trade: [ATL/BOS] Chris Sale for Vaughn Grissom (Sale signs 2 year extension)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He's going to be 35 in a few months and he hasnt been healthy since 2019. He has thrown 151 innings the past 4 seasons. This is puzzling.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Big fan of Grissom, I think Boston did well for a guy who may never throw 100+ innings in a season again.

Boston is sending 17 M in cash so Sale is coming to ATL as a 10.5 M pitcher for this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't like this trade from Atlanta's point of view. Getting rid of Grissom isn't the problem persay it's the fact what they're banking on in what they got back.

Then again knowing Anthopoulos, Sale will throw 200 innings while going 20-2 with an ERA of 1.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If he can stay healthy and provide you a quality back of rotation arm that is a win for Braves. Grissom looks like solid prospect but he was blocked in Atlanta on ML roster and the Braves have a couple of IF prospects in pipeline (Tavarez and Alvarez) that they could afford to move Grissom

For Red Sox getting a young IF is good get and Grissom appears ready for fulltime ML role from what he has shown

Braves are making small gamble here that may or may not pay off while Red Sox moving on from Sale is no downside and getting a quality prospect back is win for them as Sale value really likely was not higher and going into another season with him at his age and injury history was risk for Red Sox to end up with nothing back if things went wrong

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You might be the first and only person in history of the world that can say that.
It was a bit complicated. I had a few run-ins with Phillies fans and the fact that the organization was dreadful when I was younger, to the point where I kinda didn't enjoy 2008 as much as I could have. I liked that the Red Sox got Pedro and Manny, and, yes, I didn't like the Yankees and it was a point in history where a lot of people were on one side or the other, specifically on this message board.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
One thing about the Braves, unfortunately, is that a lot of moves are heavily based on budget control. While (lately) they make Liberty Media a ton of money, in the end, they are just a business line-item on the budget sheet. AA gets some number (which was approved by the board) each season he must work with.

Overall, I do like this trade for both teams. But I do think a factor for all the Braves moves will always be cost control. That $17 mil the Sox gave up was needed to make this deal work is considered just as important as the players involved. Kinda frustrating as a Braves fan knowing the ownership group is printing money from the Braves and the development and still is so strict with budget, but it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad