Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Just No Full NMC please!

Per the Athletic..

The two sides worked late Thursday to iron out the final details in the contract, including a no-trade or no-move clause in the first two years of the new contract. The final five years will carry a limited no-trade clause, by which Atkinson can approve 10 teams to which he can be traded.

Also, a no-trade or no-move clause was added to the remaining term of Atkinson's current contract, preventing the club from trading him before the new deal kicks in next July 1.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The term is based on one year of production. Not really sure what I think about this. We already have some long term deals with player not really living up to the contract already and we have more contacts to deal with.

Reactions: cbjfaninmo

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think the term is overblown by most who are concerned about it.

Cam is obviously loved by his teammates, is a cornerstone on this team, and great representative for this franchise. Not to mention he loves Columbus, and clearly wants to play his entire career here.

If five years down the line it becomes an issue, then so be it, but this is a great contract for all parties involved. He easily could have signed a 7 year deal with an AAV of 7M+ on the open market. Let’s celebrate the fact that Cam is in it for the long run and wants to win a cup HERE.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Its not the term that bothers me, its the NTC involved.

Thankfully its only partial during the last years of the contract - but it feels like Jarmo & Company are handing them out like candy with older players.

Just for thought:

On a positive note.. Cam doesn't play a physical style so he should hold up just fine -- but I'd like to see the team get away from handing out NTC's so often.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Its not the term that bothers me, its the NTC involved.

Thankfully its only partial during the last years of the contract - but it feels like Jarmo & Company are handing them out like candy with older players.

Just for thought:

On a positive note.. Cam doesn't play a physical style so he should hold up just fine -- but I'd like to see the team get away from handing out NTC's so often.

I thought the FO was doing a great job with eliminating NMC/NTCs. Before this deal, only Foligno and Dubinsky had restrictions.

Poile is firm on his stance. The only Predator with a trade restriction is Emelin-and that was a contract via trade and it's only for a year.

Atkinson's restrictions aren't prohibitive, but I don't view him as a player who should have any NMC leverage-especially given the money and term involved.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I thought the FO was doing a great job with eliminating NMC/NTCs. Before this deal, only Foligno and Dubinsky had restrictions.

Both of which could be pretty costly to us.

Overall like I said, I think the deal is great --- just being nit-picky in saying it could have been perfect without a NMC involved. The partial in the last 5 years makes it a lot less scary.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Those of you worried about a NMC/NTC should simply realize that there's no plan to "move" a guy who just signed for 7 years and is without question 1 of our top 3 (we can debate Cam/Panarin/Bjork) goalscorers. And yet you want to bitch about what might be in 5 years? I'll enjoy the 100's of games he plays in between that time than you very much.

We have some people who claim we have to ADD to our skill level on this team and others who seem unhappy with our MOST SKILLED players. Some of these people feel both ways at the same time.

Some of you seem like you'd rather see the team "fail" with players or moves you don't like than see them succeed with players or moves you don't like.

Reactions: Monk and Viqsi

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The term is based on one year of production. Not really sure what I think about this. We already have some long term deals with player not really living up to the contract already and we have more contacts to deal with.
I gotta push back on this. Cam has produced at a high level for several seasons now. There's no worry about him being a one season wonder.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I gotta push back on this. Cam has produced at a high level for several seasons now. There's no worry about him being a one season wonder.

The Cam from last season, the Cam in previous seasons not so much. Last season Cam developed into a complete player and I haven't see much evidence of that Cam this season. I'm really not a fan of these 7+ year deals as player hit UFA, but they are part of the game now.

Also keep in mind my comment was directed more at players like Foligno than a reflection on what I think Cam is going to do.

We shall see.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The Cam from last season, the Cam in previous seasons not so much. Last season Cam developed into a complete player and I haven't see much evidence of that Cam this season. I'm really not a fan of these 7+ year deals as player hit UFA, but they are part of the game now.

Also keep in mind my comment was directed more at players like Foligno than a reflection on what I think Cam is going to do.

We shall see.

The Foligno b******** is truly hilarious considering he's been playing center for us all damn year.

It doesn't take a genius to realize he's better suited as a wing but has did what was asked of him and stepped up to try and fill the hole at center.

Classic example of some people saying "what have you done for me lately" ... while forgetting about his 26, 25 - 51 point season last year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The Foligno b******** is truly hilarious considering he's been playing center for us all damn year..

Post All-Star328311-12167510.72100018:3253:56
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Have fun. I love when people either don't bother to look deeper into players or just come up with random crap to justify their favorite player(s) problems. I'm sure I'll get more random comments about "He was injured" or some other crap.

There is actually far more evidence of Foligno returning to historical norms than a major drop in Dubinsky's production. Foligno is NOT producing as his contract indicates and he's playing far too many minutes. He is not one of our best players and doesn't play like one for very long stretches.

As far as the goof ball winger comment, I've been saying for multiple seasons now to move Jenner to center. He's more than capable to being a top six center in this league. It's not my fault that Torts is being Torts and that the FO gives out contracts based on short windows of playing above their historical norms.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Post All-Star328311-12167510.72100018:3253:56
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Have fun. I love when people either don't bother to look deeper into players or just come up with random crap to justify their favorite player(s) problems. I'm sure I'll get more random comments about "He was injured" or some other crap.

There is actually far more evidence of Foligno returning to historical norms than a major drop in Dubinsky's production. Foligno is NOT producing as his contract indicates and he's playing far too many minutes. He is not one of our best players and doesn't play like one for very long stretches.

As far as the goof ball winger comment, I've been saying for multiple seasons now to move Jenner to center. He's more than capable to being a top six center in this league. It's not my fault that Torts is being Torts and that the FO gives out contracts based on short windows of playing above their historical norms.

Cherry pick stats all you want - the bottom line is he's playing out of position. Is that his fault too? :rolleyes:

Could care less if you don't think 51 points is a solid year considering how often he gets moved around.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I am no fan of NMC and am thankful it converts to a limited NTC early in the term (I would have preferred 15 vs 10 teams). I do believe this may have influenced Cam to take under $6M which I think he would have exceeded on the open market.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I am no fan of NMC and am thankful it converts to a limited NTC early in the term (I would have preferred 15 vs 10 teams). I do believe this may have influenced Cam to take under $6M which I think he would have exceeded on the open market.

Via the tweet above your post, it looks like it's 10 teams he can't be traded to, not ten teams he'll accept a trade to.

Cam has always said he wants to be a Blue Jacket, it's often that you'll hear that from players, but more rarely, he said he wanted to retire a Blue Jacket. From the NMC that they added in his current contract, it seems that he's not just blowing smoke.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

Jenner lacks the vision and playmaking ability to ever be a top six center in this league. He might be a solid bottom six center, but I can't see much more. I also think he will be part of the trade that brings us a legitimate top six center (hopefully JT), and I don't see a contract that makes sense for him and the Jackets longterm.

I think this contract is about right. The NTC/NMC is always concerning, but Cam has been fairly consistent as a scorer (outside the current post-injury funk).

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Via the tweet above your post, it looks like it's 10 teams he can't be traded to, not ten teams he'll accept a trade to.

Cam has always said he wants to be a Blue Jacket, it's often that you'll hear that from players, but more rarely, he said he wanted to retire a Blue Jacket. From the NMC that they added in his current contract, it seems that he's not just blowing smoke.
Thanks for straightening out my misinterpretation....and making me feel much better about it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for straightening out my misinterpretation....and making me feel much better about it.

The pitfall in Cam's modified NTC is that he blocks 10 teams that can absorb his salary. Effectively also blocking a trade to many teams with cap pressure. May not prevent a trade but it could make one more difficult.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The pitfall in Cam's modified NTC is that he blocks 10 teams that can absorb his salary. Effectively also blocking a trade to many teams with cap pressure. May not prevent a trade but it could make one more difficult.

This pitfall can be somewhat minimized if they ask Cam for his list on July 1 each year. Asking mid-season makes it pretty easy for him to deduce which teams are most likely to be trade partners.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This pitfall can be somewhat minimized if they ask Cam for his list on July 1 each year. Asking mid-season makes it pretty easy for him to deduce which teams are most likely to be trade partners.

I'm not so sure. If we as arm chair GM's know what teams have cap issues/cap room I am pretty sure Cam's agent will know also.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

This. He said there's nowhere else he wants to be. Instead of bringing in guys who never wanted to be here in the first place, we seem to be building/drafting a team of players who do. Me gusta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad