Confirmed with Link: Atkinson signs 7 Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Per Portzline

Link to follow

The Blue Jackets and right winger Cam Atkinson have agreed to terms on a seven-year, $40.25 million contract extension, The Athletic has learned. The deal carries a salary cap of $5.75 million per season.

The two sides are working late Thursday to iron out the final details in the contract, including no-trade and no-move clauses.

The deal puts him under contract with the Blue Jackets through the 2024-25 season.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’d be a lot more excited if he wasn’t on pace for under 40 points this year. That’s a lot of money to be paying for yet another 35-40 point guy when they already have 2 guys doing the same thing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's alright. Don't love the term and don't love that its going to have trade protection. But the number seems OK if he can continue to score what he has the past few seasons.

Also hopefully he stops playing terribly this year now.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Some guys are identified with their organization.. Cam is that for me & the CBJ. If everyone worked as hard as he and Calvert our team would be extremely hard to beat. Under 6 per year, I will take that for our All Star forward. Now its time to start kicking it up a few notches Cam.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Great news!!! And an equitable deal. Cam gets a favorable term (7 yrs) and the team gets a manageable $5.75 AAV. Hoping the NTC/NMC is narrow in term. Otherwise CAMtastic!

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
The whole team is in a lull (offense is barely scoring) so projected point totals are probably lower than months from now will show.

Cam has shown he can produce when team play isn't wholly incompetent so aav seems perfectly fine to me so long as he doesn't settle in and quit giving effort

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't like deals that run 7 years. They're OK for the truly elite, but for your somewhat above average types who are hitting 30 year old when the deal kicks in, the term is way too long for my taste.

The CBJ knew what type of player Atkinson was when his last RFA deal was being signed. They could have gotten a 6 year, $4.5 million per year deal then most likely. This deal is probably going to be really rough in years 5-7.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't like deals that run 7 years. They're OK for the truly elite, but for your somewhat above average types who are hitting 30 year old when the deal kicks in, the term is way too long for my taste.

The CBJ knew what type of player Atkinson was when his last RFA deal was being signed. They could have gotten a 6 year, $4.5 million per year deal then most likely. This deal is probably going to be really rough in years 5-7.

I agree with being a bit concerned about the length. The $ seem ok. In hindsight I agree that a six yr 4.5 mill would have been great although at the time he was a .5 ppg guy so I don't think it would have been warranted. I don't like NMC's. Hopefully it doesn't apply to the end of the deal.

Now let's hope he gets back to being MSL 2.0.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad