ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The Vancouver Millionaires proudly select..D, Barry Beck.

1978-79-o-pee-chee-121-barry-beck.jpg

He’ll play on Flaman’s left side. Better keep your head up when that pairing is on the ice. He’ll also play on our 2nd PP and is a competent penalty killer as well.

Underrated player, IMO. Solid two-way defenseman whose career ended too soon.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Winning it all with the worst goalie has already been done once in the ATD, by pappyline, so it is certainly possible.

This was in an era where the parity was probably not what it is today.I agree you can win with the worst goalie, but it's the worst weakness to have.I am against eliminating teams just because they have the ''worst X or Y'', but they are still heavily penalized for it.

We shall see, should be interesting to follow.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
This was in an era where the parity was probably not what it is today.I agree you can win with the worst goalie, but it's the worst weakness to have.I am against eliminating teams just because they have the ''worst X or Y'', but they are still heavily penalized for it.

We shall see, should be interesting to follow.
The worst weakness to have is on the blueline.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I mean that if there is one position which is most likely to get you beat in a playoff series for having the inferior unit, it is the defense, not the goalie.

Probably.The goalie still matters a great deal, and having the worst one in the league is a tremendous disadvantage.Maybe it is not as tremendous as having the worst defense, but it's something you can't ignore.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Heading to bed soon, just waiting for @Darth Yoda to make his selection.

If he’s still going to be awhile, can anyone who plans on staying up for awhile take my pick via PM?

Worse comes to worse I’ll make it in the AM.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Heading to bed soon, just waiting for @Darth Yoda to make his selection.

If he’s still going to be awhile, can anyone who plans on staying up for awhile take my pick via PM?

Worse comes to worse I’ll make it in the AM.
I'll be around. My pick is right after yours

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The Vancouver Millionaires are selecting an elite checker who will get under the opponents skin and is a BIG TIME playoff performer..LW, Esa Tikkanen.

tikkanen1.jpg

Paired with Guy Carbonneau, I believe this gives us one of if not THE top 3rd line checking duo in the ATD. They will give the opponent fits.

Reactions: VanIslander

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Tikkanen was one of my front runners for my last pick. Assuming the benchmarks I calculated are correct, he came out with an EV VsX score of 59.2. I have no idea if this is a good, mediocre or bad score, since I've only calculated the numbers for three guys so far.

Speaking of benchmarks, has anyone even double checked them, or is everyone just too lazy? :laugh:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There are many things you can't ignore.

Yes, but bad goaltending can kill a team's spirit in a way that a 2nd line winger not producing cannot.

Anyway, in the end you're right that there's many other factors involved in a series.I'm not going to automatically vote against the team with the worst goalie, but I'm not going to take it as a mere "one element among many" neither.It is a crucial feature of the team IMO, just like the coach is.

If the guy with the worst goalie gets a boost in each "line by line" comparison because each of his players got bumped down a notch in his skater depth chart (his 3rd best forward becomes his 4th best forward, etc...), then we all get to point out the problem with his goaltending at every turn, because each of those lines will play in front of him.

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Tikkanen was one of my front runners for my last pick. Assuming the benchmarks I calculated are correct, he came out with an EV VsX score of 59.2. I have no idea if this is a good, mediocre or bad score, since I've only calculated the numbers for three guys so far.

Speaking of benchmarks, has anyone even double checked them, or is everyone just too lazy? :laugh:
I have a spreadsheet with the season-by-season numbers already calculated (thanks 70s), so it's just a matter of adding up the best 7, best 10 whatever.
59 strikes me as a player who's a tick above replacement level offensively, but won't contribute much of anything to a scoring line. So like an ATD version of Leo Komarov, to name a guy who gets compared to Tikkanen all the time and definitely isn't going to be drafted.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yes, but bad goaltending can kill a team's spirit in a way that a 2nd line winger not producing cannot.

Anyway, in the end you're right that there's many other factors involved in a series.I'm not going to automatically vote against the team with the worst goalie, but I'm not going to take it as a mere "one element among many" neither.It is a crucial feature of the team IMO, just like the coach is.

If the guy with the worst goalie gets a boost in each "line by line" comparison because each of his players got bumped down a notch in his skater depth chart (his 3rd best forward becomes his 4th best forward, etc...), then we all get to point out the problem with his goaltending at every turn, because each of those lines will play in front of him.

I think it's also extremely important to point out that a goalie is on an island. If your 1st line C gets shut down, there are 3 more behind him to help pick up the slack potentially. If your G has a bad game, that likely means your team is toast. There's no taking back bad goals and replacing a struggling netminder might give the team a jolt but at that point you're probably down 3 or 4 goals.

Reactions: VanIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad