ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
How regularly would you say he was laiding out open ice hits? Hard to quantify on top of my head.

In Montreal, Subban was known as a player that could lay out some pretty nice hits, but he had a tendency to remove himself from the play while doing so. He’d hit with his ass but would usually wind up on the ice as well. Not a feared hitter, but Subban is quite strong.

Subban would sometimes go out of his way looking for the hits.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
In Montreal, Subban was known as a player that could lay out some pretty nice hits, but he had a tendency to remove himself from the play while doing so. He’d hit with his ass but would usually wind up on the ice as well. Not a feared hitter, but Subban is quite strong.

I know, I'm really talking about the regularity of those open-ice hits he was giving.I am from Montreal too, but somehow I can't figure it out intuitively.I would say he wasn't a feared defensemen, but you had to be careful because he could hit you hard in open-hit once in a while.

Yeah, definitely he took himself out of the play a lot of times trying those, sometimes at crappy timing too.Subban had poor "clock instinct".He had trouble playing the clock.Clutch player though.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I know, I'm really talking about the regularity of those open-ice hits he was giving.I am from Montreal too, but somehow I can't figure it out intuitively.I would say he wasn't a feared defensemen, but you had to be careful because he could hit you hard in open-hit once in a while.

Yeah, definitely he took himself out of the play a lot of times trying those, sometimes at crappy timing too.Subban had poor "clock instinct".He had trouble playing the clock.Clutch player though.

I wouldn’t say his open ice hits were a regular occurrence, but he was physical along the wall quite often when he had the chance.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn’t say his open ice hits were a regular occurrence, but he was physical along the wall quite often when he had the chance.

Sure, Subban was strong enough.He wasn't a soft player, not what I was trying to say if there was confusion.

I liked Subban but he needed to be surrounded better than he was here, both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Habsfan18

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Brian Campbell was one of my favourite players going back to his time leading the Ottawa 67s to the Memorial Cup. I don’t think he was ever a physical player. That Umberger hit was the exception.

I was considering drafting Housley to be a 4th line forward/PPQB who could drop back to D if the team was trailing or just needed what he brought to the table. He did play some forward in Buffalo.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Brian Campbell was one of my favourite players going back to his time leading the Ottawa 67s to the Memorial Cup. I don’t think he was ever a physical player. That Umberger hit was the exception.

I was considering drafting Housley to be a 4th line forward/PPQB who could drop back to D if the team was trailing or just needed what he brought to the table. He did play some forward in Buffalo.

I don't see the issue with having a 7th D and have someone double shift with the 2 remaining fourth line energy guys either.

The only reason why we aren't seeing it in the ATD is because what difference does it really make when you might as well just draft a forward for your PP? The exception of course being a team running units, a là Rob Scuderi's team.

Edit: Now thinking about it, if you don't have an average to elite #1, having a 7th dman to chug some minutes might help your first pairing.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Benchmarks are on page 2. They go back to 48-49 but overpass said the data is unreliable before 1953-54.

See this post for more on why I think the data may be unreliable. I went through all Boston boxscores for 1952-53 and the penalty times and goal times match the PPG/PPGA numbers. So if something is unreliable in that season it is the penalty numbers...which have been around for a long time, and were regularly reported at the time so someone probably would have noticed if there was an error.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/141489191/

I would say there are Boston data quality issues with 1939-40 and earlier for sure. Everything from 1940-41 could possibly be explained by style of play.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
There are a few options available but I'm going with the guy who brings good energy, is a lethal short-handed player, solid playoff performer and who I think will make a good fit on my Shero-coached team.

Stockholm selects Mike Richards, C

BIO

Mike+Richards+Philadelphia+Flyers+v+Detroit+5K9pPn8LX-tl.jpg

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We’ll complete our 4th line by taking a former Conn Smythe winner who at one point was the most feared sniper in the NHL.

The Riverton Rifle...RW, Reggie Leach.

reggie-leach-philadelphia-flyers-autographed-8x10-photo-skating-autographed69-t2166394-1947.jpg

This gives us a 4th line consisting of:

Mats Naslund - Pit Lepine - Reggie Leach

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad