ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
When you get screwed by goaltending runs why not lay into it instead of trying to fight it

That's what I tried last year and it didn't work out. Granted, I didn't have the kind of defense you have. Actually, last year I had way better goaltending than you will have this year, and that goalie happened to be a guy who specialized in carrying terrible teams to some semblance of respectability (Roy Worters). So the two situations aren't even an apples to apples comparison.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yes he did, the second dynasty post Plante 65-68 did not have elite goal tending

Was that goalie the worst in the league? ;)

In all honesty, you can't say they won without elite goaltending and compare it to having the worst goalie in this draft.

I actually really like your roster RB. It will be interesting to see how people look at your skaters and determine if they are good enough to overcome a very weak goalie, relative to the 24 teams. The good news is that goalies have largely been irrelevant in the atd...you know, meta value and all :sarcasm:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

In all honesty, you can't say they won without elite goaltending and compare it to having the worst goalie in this draft.

I actually really like your roster RB. It will be interesting to see how people look at your skaters and determine if they are good enough to overcome a very weak goalie, relative to the 24 teams. The good news is that goalies have largely been irrelevant in the atd...you know, meta value and all :sarcasm:

But what difference does the 24th best goalie in the draft and 20th actually provide?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009

You haven't necessarily needed elite goaltending to win the ATD. However, not having elite goaltending and having the worst goaltender in the league are two very different things.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
But what difference does the 24th best goalie in the draft and 20th actually provide?

Well that's a great point except it's doubtful you'll get to face rosters throughout this who are all in the lower tier of netminders.

The real question will be how does it affect you when it's Plante, Dryden or Roy going up against you.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
You haven't necessarily needed elite goaltending to win the ATD. However, not having elite goaltending and having the worst goaltender in the league are two very different things.

Again what benefit is there between the 20th best goalie of all time and the 24th?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Well that's a great point except it's doubtful you'll get to face rosters throughout this who are all in the lower tier of netminders.

The real question will be how does it affect you when it's Plante, Dryden or Roy going up against you.

Look at the murderers row of players I drafted in place of taking a goalie at bad value.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Look at the murderers row of players I drafted in place of taking a goalie at bad value.

I don't even necessarily agree that you've got a "murderer's row" of players. It's good, but nothing compared to what I had last year for example.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I don't even necessarily agree that you've got a "murderer's row" of players. It's good, but nothing compared to what I had last year for example.

Your defence last year isn't comparable however.

Your 1D last year was closer to my 3D than to my 1D.

These are not comparable teams

It's not like I stacked the best offensive players and ignored goaltending and defence

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Your defence last year isn't comparable however.

Your 1D last year was closer to my 3D than to my 1D.

I had 3 D better than your top 2.

These are not comparable teams

It's not like I stacked the best offensive players and ignored goaltending and defence

Eddie Gerard is a better defenseman than Ching Johnson.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Eddie Gerard is a better defenseman than Ching Johnson.

I meant he's closer all time to my 3D than he is to Harvey.

That's fairly uncontroversial IMO

Edit: Ah I see the misstep

I meant

Harvey, Goodfellow and Johnson are as a collective better than Gerard, Ross and Doughty

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I cannot accept any comments that my team is similar in structure to jarek's entry last year. The two things we share are 2nd line Cs and weak goaltending

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I cannot accept any comments that my team is similar in structure to jarek's entry last year. The two things we share are 2nd line Cs and weak goaltending

I already said that they are not really comparable. Proof:

That's what I tried last year and it didn't work out. Granted, I didn't have the kind of defense you have. Actually, last year I had way better goaltending than you will have this year, and that goalie happened to be a guy who specialized in carrying terrible teams to some semblance of respectability (Roy Worters). So the two situations aren't even an apples to apples comparison.

The other thing our teams share is a coach who isn't accustomed to having a goalie weaker than anything he had in real life (relatively speaking of course).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We can’t underestimate the importance of goaltending in the ATD, but at the same time considering we’re only 24 teams I don’t think it’s a huge deal.

There are obvious tiers, but when you think about it we’re all going to be playing top 25 goaltenders of all-time.

RB will have to gameplan against playing superior goaltending each time, but it’s not like he’ll have Andre Racicot back there. Sorry if anyone was planning on taking him..:sarcasm:

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I already said that they are not really comparable. Proof:

The other thing our teams share is a coach who isn't accustomed to having a goalie weaker than anything he had in real life (relatively speaking of course).

How many coaches drafted, won a stanley cup with the league's worst goalie?

Are there any?

If that's the case what's the point of drafting a goalie after the top 12 go?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
How many coaches drafted, won a stanley cup with the league's worst goalie?

Are there any?

If that's the case what's the point of drafting a goalie after the top 12 go?

That just immediately puts you at a disadvantage. Unfortunately the results of the ATD haven't necessarily lived up to the way real life works, in that in real life, there generally haven't been many Stanley Cup winners who didn't have at least above average goaltending. However, in real life, they also don't dump all the players into a pool and have a snaking draft to make teams.

Again.. we'll see how it goes. I think this conversation has run its course for the time being.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
That just immediately puts you at a disadvantage. Unfortunately the results of the ATD haven't necessarily lived up to the way real life works, in that in real life, there generally haven't been many Stanley Cup winners who didn't have at least above average goaltending. However, in real life, they also don't dump all the players into a pool and have a snaking draft to make teams.

Again.. we'll see how it goes. I think this conversation has run its course for the time being.

We're looking a situation completely different from real life, for the most part every goalie taken was at his time a top 3ish goalie.

And if goaltending was that important Grant Fuhr wouldn't be the winningest goaltending in ATD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad