ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Under the old site I would have just PM'd him, because when you would reply to a PM it would auto-quote and you'd get all the text with any formatting, but it doesn't look like it works that way anymore.

I think it still works that way. Once you hit the reply button and get the preview of your message, you just need to click on the button far right on top ("Use BB Code Editor") to get the raw data/formatting etc.

I hope I didn't misunderstood you.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
What is the schedule for voting?

We don't want to wait a month like last year and kill so much attention.

We've been suspended in "wait mode" for several days now,...

Let's set some DEADLINES.. and get this moving...

How about we set voting day on regular season standings for March 30th. That way the playoffs can begin at the start of April. That gives PLENTY of time to get ready for it.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I went ahead and got the assassination thread going (if we are going to try to vote around the end of the month, having a couple weeks of assassinations works out). When should we start the regular season division threads?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I'm a bit curious. Has anyone ever done a VsX type study of European players? @Sturminator @Batis @Theokritos @VMBM
There are definitely bits and pieces. I've seen Vs2 breakdowns for many of the Golden Age Soviets, and for Hlinka and Martinec floating around out there, though they may take some effort to track down after the migration if they were in tabular form. I don't think anyone has ever done a comprehensive VsX breakdown for the full Soviet and Czech leagues, though. This may be for good reason; the talent level in those leagues seems to have changed considerably over time (waxing and waning), including at the top. One of the basic assumptions of VsX (excepting the wartime years, which are fudged) is that top-end talent in the NHL hasn't fluctuated substantially since the merger.

A VsX limited to just the 70s might be interesting, but a complete league analysis wouldn't probably be all that fruitful (or, perhaps better put, it would tend to distort the facts) when you look, for example, at the guys who were leading the Czech league in scoring during the 80s.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
For a Soviet or Czech VsX study to be taken seriously, one must accept that the relative talent level of those leagues was comparable to the NHL. I'm not sure many, or anyone really, is prepared to make that jump.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There are definitely bits and pieces. I've seen Vs2 breakdowns for many of the Golden Age Soviets, and for Hlinka and Martinec floating around out there, though they may take some effort to track down after the migration if they were in tabular form. I don't think anyone has ever done a comprehensive VsX breakdown for the full Soviet and Czech leagues, though. This may be for good reason; the talent level in those leagues seems to have changed considerably over time (waxing and waning), including at the top. One of the basic assumptions of VsX (excepting the wartime years, which are fudged) is that top-end talent in the NHL hasn't fluctuated substantially since the merger.

A VsX limited to just the 70s might be interesting, but a complete league analysis wouldn't probably be all that fruitful (or, perhaps better put, it would tend to distort the facts) when you look, for example, at the guys who were leading the Czech league in scoring during the 80s.

It certainly would be a pretty large undertaking. I'm just wondering, as we see VsX used freely to compare our ATD teams, it would be interesting to see where the best pre NHL Euro's stack up, even if we were to get a rougher number. I mean where would a Makarov's VsX be? Kharlamov, Martinec, etc? How do you accurately compare Makarov's scoring ability against NHL greats if there isn't a (semi)reliable type score to go off of? How much ball parking are we currently doing?

All interesting questions to me.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
For a Soviet or Czech VsX study to be taken seriously, one must accept that the relative talent level of those leagues was comparable to the NHL. I'm not sure many, or anyone really, is prepared to make that jump.
It might at least be useful as a tool to compare the players in those leagues to each other, though again, the various eras of European hockey saw fairly sharp fluctuations in talent over time. There is no way to reconcile European league scoring with NHL scoring, though, even if we accept that the talent at the top of those leagues was similar to top-level NHL talent (which, at least for the Soviet league, was probably true for a while there). Far too many variables unaccounted for to consolidate them with NHL VsX.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I'm not going to lie, I am pretty disappointed in the level of participation thus far. At this point, I think we should strongly consider holding the ATD every other year.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I'm not going to lie, I am pretty disappointed in the level of participation thus far.
If you mean the draft itself... the 24 teams were pretty active, more thasn usual actually, in speeding through it.

The last week we've had next to nothging much happening. Who is taking the reigns here this year? EVERY GM ought to be PM'd a timetable of what is expected: assassinate until when? regular season standings voting day to be when? playoffs to begin when?

Last year was embarrassingly off the rails. Let's not repeat that.

Let's set a timetable, let everyone know it, and stick to it.

It used to be par for the course. Let's get back to it, eh?

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Someone is going to have to step up.Personally I won't be very active for an indefinite period of time.Life happens.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Are we having divisional based assassination threads before regular season voting? Or just the one that’s already up?

First time ATDer, so I’m just waiting for this to get going. Not sure exactly how it usually plays out after the draft but I wasn’t expecting things to quiet down this much..

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
If you mean the draft itself... the 24 teams were pretty active, more thasn usual actually, in speeding through it.

The last week we've had next to nothging much happening. Who is taking the reigns here this year? EVERY GM ought to be PM'd a timetable of what is expected: assassinate until when? regular season standings voting day to be when? playoffs to begin when?

Last year was embarrassingly off the rails. Let's not repeat that.

Let's set a timetable, let everyone know it, and stick to it.

It used to be par for the course. Let's get back to it, eh?

This is what happens with no dedicated admin. I am willing to do these things myself but everyone has to be on board. Give me the reins and I'll get this thing moving

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
As far as the current assassination thread. I have less than zero interest. I do not care about evaluating these teams in a vacuum because that's ultimately not what we're here to do. The sooner the division threads get going, the better.

Reactions: Habsfan18

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'll be home in about 3 hours. I'll make the next threads and set a timeline at that time if nobody else does

Reactions: Habsfan18

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
First time ATDer, so I’m just waiting for this to get going. Not sure exactly how it usually plays out after the draft but I wasn’t expecting things to quiet down this much..

Unfortunately, I have noticed that each of the last 3 years (since I joined) we are seeing less and less participation in terms of assassinations and the ATD summary. Even the playoffs, though some series are still pretty interesting.

And I am not absolving myself- I am guilty of this too. Last year I was pretty much a no-show for the playoffs, so I am trying to make up for it this year.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Schedule for the rest of the ATD:

Regular season voting: Begins Friday, March 30th, with the results to be posted Monday, April 2nd. @Theokritos think you could do that for us?

Also, could a mod send a reminder out to ALL GMs that the draft is over and regular season has begun? @ResilientBeast @Theokritos @Johnny Engine

Playoffs round 1 (Division Finals): Begins Monday, April 2nd and runs until Friday, April 6th, at which point voting will begin. Should each series still have some good debate going, we can extend the discussion period in 2 day intervals.

Playoffs round 2 (Conference Semi-Finals): Begins Monday, April 9th and runs until Friday, April 13th, at which point voting will begin. Should each series still have some good debate going, we can extend the discussion period in 2 day intervals.

Playoffs round 3 (Conference Finals): Begins Monday, April 16th and runs until Friday, April 20th, at which point voting will begin. Should each series still have some good debate going, we can extend the discussion period in 2 day intervals.

Playoffs round 4 (ATD Finals): Begins Monday, April 23rd and runs until Friday, April 27th, at which point voting will begin. Should each series still have some good debate going, we can extend the discussion period in 2 day intervals.

Reactions: rmartin65

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'll do that, but I'd recommend keeping up the roster thread as it's a good resource for quick comparisons.

The only comparisons that matter at this point will be posted in the relevant discussion threads. The roster thread is superfluous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->