ATD2018 - Draft Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
So just a little bit about Backstrom's intangibles that we found in 2015. It obviously needs to be updated:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/atd-2015-bio-thread.1820973/page-2#post-98845403

Although he's tough to knock off the puck - many compare Backstrom to Peter Forsberg because of his surprising ability to shield the puck, especially along the boards - and has carried defensemen on his back as he emerges from the scrum with the puck on his stick

An extremely talented two-way center.

Defensively Bäckström takes care of his responsibilities and is a rather good penalty killer. He could use some work on his conditioning and skating. Not slow by any means, but there is some room for improvement. Bäckström is not an overly physical player, but he is pretty strong and tough to knock the puck off.

Assets: Displays outstanding patience with the puck, playmaking acumen and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Is mature and has great instincts. His shot is improving and he also boasts sound defensive ability.

Flaws: Needs to continue getting a little better at fending off defenders when the checking is at its tightest. Also needs to do more of the little things when he's not putting up points consistently. Injuries are a bit of a concern here.

Another resembles with Art Ross Trophy winner Peter Forsberg is the way Bäckström protects the puck. He is, although not being the strongest of players, very tough to knock the puck off. He protects it well, especially along the boards, and usually comes out with the puck while defensemen are hanging on his back.

He would be an even better puck carrier had he been a better skater. Bäckström is not really slow on his skates, but he lacks that extra gear and his acceleration could use improvement.
Looking at his defensive game, he is already very solid in his own end. An excellent penalty killer that backchecks hard and helps out his defenseman. As for his physical game, he is not a hitting machine, but has a small edge to his game. Once in a while he delivers a decent hit, but he is not the kind of player that is seeking good opportunities to play the body.

For me, I was scared of him before and I'm probably more scared of his game now. He has such a great ability to hold on to the puck, manufacture time, read the play and execute with the puck, that it allows the other players on his line to freelance, to not be in the same spot all the time.
They can go to different areas, they can work to get open away from the puck.

It's an unbelievable asset that he has. I don't want to say it's sleight of hand. To me, he's the best player on the half wall, he's the best half-wall distributor.
As for the breadth of Backstrom's game, he is perhaps more of a force now than ever at both ends of the ice.
He covers up for a lot of mistakes. He's sound. Good, intelligent defensively, he covers up for a lot.
He's good. He's real good.

Etc.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Railers select 6'5 230 lbs. mobile Brent Burns, the two-time Norris trophy finalist who won it the year he became the first defenseman to lead the entire NHL in shots since Bourque did it three times and Orr twice. Coaches are always urging players to shoot more but this blueliner again led the league after the 2018 all-star game break as well as led his playoff-positioned team in scoring. The 14-year NHL veteran has had career years at the tail end of that stretch, of 75 and 76 points (finishing 9th in NHL points, a rare occurence for someone on the blueline). He led the Sharks in ice time with over 25 minutes a game on a Stanley Cup Finals run, 2nd in team scoring with 24 points in 24 playoff games. He captained Canada to gold and was a tourney all-star defenseman in the 2015 world championships. Back in 2008 he was named the tourney's best defenseman with 9 points in 9 games, including two goals in the gold medal game, though Kovalchuk scored the tying and overtime winning goals for the Russians. Burns also led all Canadian blueliners in ice time in the 2010 world championships (see hit on OV below). In 2010-2011, his last season in Minnesota, Burnsie led the Wild in ice time with over 25 minutes a night, finishing 3rd in team scoring. When he went to San Jose he was moved up to right wing for a couple of seasons, his natural position from his youth, where he was encouraged to shoot more often than he had been in defensively-conservative Minnesota, but his shooting and scoring didn't rise to the highest level until he moved back to the blueline and a new coach gave him the green light to use his skating and strength to get into scoring positions and to shoot from any angle. He has a curl and drag technique of shot that's hard to prevent, and he has one of the hardest shots in the league.
Teammates break down Brent Burns' unique shot
Brent-Burns-celebrates-San-Jose-Sharks-featured.jpg

“a linebacker on skates” -- an NHL coach

2010 world championship hit on Ovechkin:

2016 NHL hit on Ovechkin:

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Hi guys disregard the lists I sent out earlier I still have to think about it

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I think mark has a point about contemporary players having a harder time in the ATD than historical players. But... I think there was an easier target than Abel (and not just because he is my player this year, haha). For example- Abel was a 2nd team AS before Howe starting making his mark on the league. When Backstrom has any post-season accolades without Ovechkin, let me know.

I honestly have nothing against Abel, I was on my phone and it was the first older era Center that came to mind who had a super star goal scoring winger haha.

I was only making the point regarding analyzing only modern era and not older era players with their linemates/types of points.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
We're not going to try and sell Dye as a superb Power Forward however there are quite a few quotes showing he was more then able to throw the body around as well he has several quotes of him checking well as well. He is getting painted with the "strictly goal scoring brush" and we'd like to shift that perception a bit on Dye.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Is Vladimir Krutov an ATD worthy penalty killer?

According to this data, he very well may be: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ards-during-the-1960-1990-time-frame.2432151/

Starting from the 1983 Super Series, Krutov figured very prominently on the Soviet PK.

1983 SS: 5th on the team in PK TOI, seconds behind 4th.
1984 Olympics: 1st on team
1984 Canada Cup: 2nd on team, seconds behind Makarov in 1st
1985 WC: 2nd on team
1986 SS: 2nd on team
1986 WC: 5th on team
1987 Rendezvous: 1st on team
1987 WC: 5th on team
1987 Canada Cup: 1st on team
1988 Olympics: 2nd on team
1989 Super Series: 5th on team
1989 WC: 1st on team

Krutov along with Starshinov, Firsov, Petrov, Mikhailov and Makarov among drafted Soviet forwards I feel absolutely belong on ATD PKs, even in a draft this size.

I definitely feel like it's about time we have this conversation because there's only one Soviet forward who gets drafted who ever is deemed worthy of being on an ATD PK, but that doesn't make any sense. If we believe the Soviet teams and players were that good, then their best penalty killers absolutely deserve to be recognized here.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Thanks for bringing up the study on Soviet penalty killing, jarek. I was going to do it eventually if you weren't. Makarov/Krutov was the top Soviet PK pair for many tournaments in the 80s, so of course they can PK here. Anyone know which of Krutov and Makarov was the one taking faceoffs?

Based on that study, here is what I see as the PK abilities of already drafted Soviet forwards in ATD terms:

Could be 1st unit PK but might not be due to ice management: Sergei Makarov, Vladimir Krutov
Viable 2nd unit PKers: Vyacheslav Starshinov, Anatoli Firsov, Boris Mikhailov, Vladimir Petrov, Alexander Maltsev
Viable Depth (3rd unit?) PKers: Valeri Kharlamov, Helmuts Balderis, maybe Igor Larionov
Should never be on the PK: Sergei Kapustin

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Thanks for bringing up the study on Soviet penalty killing, jarek. I was going to do it eventually if you weren't. Makarov/Krutov was the top Soviet PK pair for many tournaments in the 80s, so of course they can PK here. Anyone know which of Krutov and Makarov was the one taking faceoffs?

Based on that study, here is what I see as the PK abilities of already drafted Soviet forwards in ATD terms:

Could be 1st unit PK but might not be due to ice management: Sergei Makarov, Vladimir Krutov
Viable 2nd unit PKers: Vyacheslav Starshinov, Anatoli Firsov, Boris Mikhailov, Vladimir Petrov, Alexander Maltsev
Viable Depth (3rd unit?) PKers: Valeri Kharlamov, Helmuts Balderis, maybe Igor Larionov
Should never be on the PK: Sergei Kapustin

That sounds about right. I'm going to guess from the Czechs that at least Vladimir Martinec and Jiri Holik among drafted players should absolutely be on 1st PK units. I don't have data to confirm this but I'd be floored if Martinec wasn't a highly trusted PK forward for them.

@Batis Any idea who took the faceoffs for the Makarov/Krutov tandem? I suppose just studying some video would easily prove it. It's also possible that it was a shared duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad