ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Also I will be compiling as best as I can records everyone who has ever participated in the ATD can look at

Not as a bragging exercise or as a way to "rank" gms but simply just showcasing those who built great teams consistently in as many formats as I possibly can

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Also I will be compiling as best as I can records everyone who has ever participated in the ATD can look at

Not as a bragging exercise or as a way to "rank" gms but simply just showcasing those who built great teams consistently in as many formats as I possibly can

Nice initiative.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Such a shame so many of the old bookmarked threads are "ruined" because of the transfer to the new digs. I was looking for the the tables on VsX and they're gone. Essentially all the By The Numbers studies/links are bad.

Just frustrating that so much work is now either missing or hard to find.

It's going to take time, but we will be able to restore a lot of that stuff. Not everything though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not getting used to this horrible design and I never will.And hfboards is not the exception.Mobile is killing everything that is good with the internet; mostly in-depth information about X or Y and communities specializing in X or Y.Nothing informative was ever created out of a smart phone.

I'm too young to be oldschool, but this is what I am evidently.I want a big screen, a keyboard in front of me, a PC, a mouse, a big desk with all my papers on it and plenty of space to work both on paper and on PC, a comfortable chair, and so on.The nice oldschool set-up, where monk labor can be done.

But now the online landscape is becoming hostile or at best indifferent about the spirit described above.It used to be easy to find the good stuff online, now the amount of noise is burying it and making it hard to find.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Good job ResilientBeast, looking forward to seeing the final result.

Also, you should save those posts on your PC.I know I will for any significant post I make in the future.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I was having a random conversation with a friend of mine, and we wondered about the following:

Which five names in professional sports (no Olympics or the likes of Phelps/Bolt) would be the most recognized if you asked the entire 25-60 years old male population in the developped world (define that as you want)?

Some names I thought about: Ali, Tyson, Woods, Federer, Nadal, Messi, Maradonna, whoever is the top rugby guy, etc.

I think Ali might be the top name, and Tyson might be second.Who doesn't know who Mike Tyson is in the demographics I talked about?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The Leafs are 20th in SF/GP and 29th in SA/GP. They are getting outshot at a clip of 3.17 per game. There is no way their winning ways are sustainable if this keeps up.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I was having a random conversation with a friend of mine, and we wondered about the following:

Which five names in professional sports (no Olympics or the likes of Phelps/Bolt) would be the most recognized if you asked the entire 25-60 years old male population in the developped world (define that as you want)?

Some names I thought about: Ali, Tyson, Woods, Federer, Nadal, Messi, Maradonna, whoever is the top rugby guy, etc.

I think Ali might be the top name, and Tyson might be second.Who doesn't know who Mike Tyson is in the demographics I talked about?

I definitely think Ali would be at the bottom, maybe just ahead of Nadal. I think a surprising amount doesn’t know who Nadal is. I think a lot of younger people know who Ali and Maradonna where/are but not what they are famous for. Tyson is probably #1 as far as Boxing goes.

Michael Jordan is probably who you are looking for overall, then it’s probably Messi, Woods, Federer and Tyson in no particular order.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I definitely think would be at the bottom, maybe just ahead of Nadal. I think a surprising amount doesn’t know who Nadal is. I think a lot of younger people know who Ali and Maradonna where/are but not what they are famous for. Tyson is probably #1 as far as Boxing goes.

Michael Jordan is probably who you are looking for overall, then it’s probably Messi, Woods, Federer and Tyson in no particular order.

Agreed for Jordan, completely forgot about him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I definitely think Ali would be at the bottom, maybe just ahead of Nadal. I think a surprising amount doesn’t know who Nadal is. I think a lot of younger people know who Ali and Maradonna where/are but not what they are famous for. Tyson is probably #1 as far as Boxing goes.

I dunno, Mayweather is pretty popular. Especially given he's he best at his sport in the social media age.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Nadal wouldnt be very high.

The answers would be Jordan, Tyson, Maradona, Pele, Federer, Tiger Woods, Schumacher. Classic names with some of the newer gen it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Merry Christmas! :xcheers:

ffba90c8a1df29bb1fd4aa5e3d2e1350.gif

Reactions: Iceman

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
@BenchBrawl The NHL this year more your style? Scoring is up astronomically it seems. At least 10 players have a legitimate shot at 100 points.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
@BenchBrawl The NHL this year more your style? Scoring is up astronomically it seems. At least 10 players have a legitimate shot at 100 points.

I didn't watch many games.At this point they lost me as a regular fan.I don't feel qualified to comment on this specific season.It doesn't help that Montreal has nothing to offer me.From now on, unless the NHL becomes significantly more entertaining, or a real phenom enters the league, I'll consider the ongoing hockey like I do old eras and just evaluate modern players the same way I do old players.

But you're right, perhaps I should give it another chance.

I actually watched more games from the 60s/70s/80s than 2017 games this year :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad