ATD#8 to begin in September

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I think we have to be very careful when discussing any restrictions on new GMs. After all, we were all first-time GMs at some point. And many first-time GMs - such as myself, reck, pappy, arrbez, Nalyd, Eagle, and the Speaker - had established a good rep in the History of Hockey forum before signing up for the draft. But when raleh joined, he had been at HF for a short period of time, and had about a dozen posts. pit had only been actively posting on HF for about a week when he signed up. And Lappi was brand new, too.

Also, has anyone heard from Frank the Tank. He's the other newbie (along with doctordark and cottonking) who should definitely be part of this draft.

I feel the same way. I've only been part of two all-time drafts and two minor league drafts. I'm not about to jump up and down pointing fingers at people.

Heck, my first team (while I liked it) absolutely didn't fit the mould of a successful ATD team. I've learned a ridiculous amount about hockey history by being part of the drafts. I'm way more prepared for this now than I was the first time. In fact I'm pretty confident that if things don't get as crazy as they were presonally during the last minor league draft, that I'm gonna give people a run for their money this time.

However, the draft is like the HFBoard country club now. With so many people kind of entrenched in their spot how do you go about bringing new guys in? Kind of hard to have a set criteria isn't it. Especially for me when I wonder if I'd have got a team the first time under these circumstances. Yet we don't want to turn it into one of those random mock drafts where people don't put in the time or effort to make it something special.

Maybe absolutely 100% new people should take a run in the minor league draft first in the future?

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Ah, ok. I was trying to reconcile the geography with your dad's Firsov tapes, though your English would be downright amazing for a Russland-Deutscher if that were the case. The mass relocation of eastern European populations in the early 20th century makes tracing the thread almost as hard for some Europeans as it is for we Yanks. My mother's parents fled from Odessa to Brooklyn (Brighton Beach - "little Odessa") probably around the same time your grandma was moving to greener pastures. Actually, they were running away from Stalin, so it was probably a bit before that.

I live in Kiel, by the way.

They were my grandpa´s tapes. My grandma and grandpa watched so much live-hockey and some games he taped. Quality was crap as it was an early camera model. But still it was a joy to watch. Still looking for the tapes. Since my granddad is dead a lot of his stuff is lost. Hopefully grandma didn´t throw them away. It would be a shame.

Btw, running away from Stalin is a smart thing to do. Just read a biography. Words fail me.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I think we have to be very careful when discussing any restrictions on new GMs. After all, we were all first-time GMs at some point. And many first-time GMs - such as myself, reck, pappy, arrbez, Nalyd, Eagle, and the Speaker - had established a good rep in the History of Hockey forum before signing up for the draft. But when raleh joined, he had been at HF for a short period of time, and had about a dozen posts. pit had only been actively posting on HF for about a week when he signed up. And Lappi was brand new, too.

Also, has anyone heard from Frank the Tank. He's the other newbie (along with doctordark and cottonking) who should definitely be part of this draft.

I don't mean to come across as snobby or anything, I just know that this draft isn't easy and takes a commitment, so, I'd like to believe that people can put the effort in and have the base knowledge to not be scrambling by round 10.

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
My only concern is someone dropping out in the middle of the draft. Everyone has to start somewhere but what would piss me off is people dropping off in the middle of this thing right when I will be constructing my lineup with famous lines.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Oh, my God, we’re having a fire. Sale. Oh, the burning! It burns me! Evacuate all the schoolchildren!Listen (Screaming. Singing “Amazing Grace.â€) This isn’t a fever! (Continues singing.) Can’t even see where the knob is! (Dramatic sigh.) And scene.

That's what happens when Dallas Smith hits someone in the corners ;)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Thanks for mentioning me as a possible GM, I am grateful. However, I have a crazy Fall ahead of me as I begin to apply and interview for academic positions. As a result, I do not think I could give the effort and commitment that both the group and I want.

I would like to offer my services for a division's playoff write-up once the draft is completed

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
FlyersHomer DM03 is out as a possibility, as he seems to be in the midst of one of his several month long MIA periods.

nik jr has confirmed interest, so he has a spot.

Still waiting on Spitfire11 and The_Hockey_Guy18.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Once we get all the GMs confirmed, I'd really like it if we went ahead and held the lottery and set the draft order, even if we're going to wait another couple of weeks for the actual draft. Gives GMs more time to work trades and set real targets instead of hypotheticals based on a draft position that isn't set yet.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Once we get all the GMs confirmed, I'd really like it if we went ahead and held the lottery and set the draft order, even if we're going to wait another couple of weeks for the actual draft. Gives GMs more time to work trades and set real targets instead of hypotheticals based on a draft position that isn't set yet.
+1

Trading happens in every real NHL draft, and I -- for one -- would like to have time to move up / down and position myself to have a shot at certain players. Would like to see 7 days between determining draft position and Bobby Orr coming off the board.

Van Islander, can you edit the first post in the thread to indicate who has a team / team name / which GM's are still pending, etc?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Actually, this is a good idea. It took us three days to get through the first 10 picks of the last draft, and five days to complete the first round. If guys know well in advance when they're picking (instead of the usual 24-48 hours), it might help acellerate the first round.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm down.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Van Islander, can you edit the first post in the thread to indicate who has a team / team name / which GM's are still pending, etc?
i'm trying to enjoy the beaches will the summer heat is still here

besides, BM67 will start the official thread soon: it's his show

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Actually, this is a good idea. It took us three days to get through the first 10 picks of the last draft, and five days to complete the first round. If guys know well in advance when they're picking (instead of the usual 24-48 hours), it might help acellerate the first round.

Are you or are you not one of the guys that demanded that we ignore the set start date last draft and get underway several days early?

:arr:

Remember September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day!!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Diving Pokecheck*

Since it looks like we have our picks, can someone post the draft order?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->