ATD#8 to begin in September

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm definitely in for ATD #8. I'm enjoying the co-GM experience in the minor leagues. I'll need to give it more thought if I want to continue with a co-GM during the ATD #8... but I'm in either way.

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
Im def. in for an all time draft this september but how bout we finish the ATD7 finals voting ? I think 9 guys have voted so far ??!!!!

Zetterberg4Captain*

to be clear: this is NOT a first-come, first-served kind of thing

except insofar as there will be room for some newbies, and definitely more if co-g.m.ing

Veterans wanting a team by themself:

wisent
God Bless Canada
pappyline
EagleBelfour
shawnmullin
Hockey Outsider
pitseleh (?)
LapierreSports (?)

Veterans with a co-g.m.:

vancityluongo (with co-g.m. Tricolore#20)

Veterans interested in having a co-g.m.:

nayld psycho (preferably with a co-g.m.)
cottonking (willing to be co-g.m.)
murphy (might be interested in co-g.m.ing)
MXD (co-g.m.ing might be his best option, depending)
arrbez (might or might not want a co-g.m., not sure yet)

Newbies interested in having a co-g.m.:

The Hockey_Guy18 (preferably with a co-g.m.)
FlyersHomerDM03 (would like a fellow newbie co-g.m.)

So I'm already out? What did I do?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I followed ATD #7 closely and would be very interested in being a part of #8 when the time comes. Preferably without a co-GM...I want to test my mettle against the vets. :fight:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
its a little early for a sign up
yeah, that's why this isn't a sign-up per se, it's gauging interest (and serving notice of scheduled start month) and gives a sense of scale of interest, and allows some newbies to express their interest early, even team up with some co-g.m.s (easier to accept more newbies if doubled up, chances are too that one of them will be active: we all know in draft leagues there are deadbeats, but in ATDs we've been fortunate).

Everyone expressing interest on this thread will receive a PM when the sign-up actually begins in early September...

indeed, have a good summer breaK :)

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
One thing I would like to see in the next draft is to see some restriction on picking current NHLers, Maybe not picking any current players or restricting it to guys that have played at least 10 years. Hard to objectively rate guys who are still playing. Just my thoughts.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One thing I would like to see in the next draft is to see some restriction on picking current NHLers, Maybe not picking any current players or restricting it to guys that have played at least 10 years. Hard to objectively rate guys who are still playing. Just my thoughts.
The problem with saying no active players is you eliminate very worthy players right off the bat. The draft would lose a lot without Sakic, Lidstrom, Chelios,

Joe Thornton just finished his ninth year. He belongs in the main draft. So does Zdeno Chara, another nine-year veteran.

I would never pick a Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Staal in the main draft (I would in the minor league draft). I picked Morrow in the minor league draft, and gave him a long look in the main draft (for largely sentimental reasons). He has seven years of NHL experience.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
we could simply make 21st century rookies unavailable: Any player who started playing professional hockey (in ANY pro league) in 2001 or later is ineligible for the all-time draft.

Though, on the other hand, those who want to draft youngsters simply pay the consequence: bounced early in the playoffs for lack of experience in a top role. Draft Kovalchuk in the all-time main draft and lose my vote, and not only mine. Those g.m.s could start wising up to the idea that Crosby might work as an extra forward, Ovechkin as a hitting fourth liner, instead of placing them on the first and second lines of an all-time draft that does not reward "potential" and isn't completely comfortable with one- and two-year wonders (there have been several throughout history - and no, I'm not saying they are JUST that. But if their careers ended today due to injury or whatnot, they would not be selected an an all-time history draft fifty years from now).

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
we could simply make 21st century rookies unavailable: Any player who started playing professional hockey (in ANY pro league) in 2001 or later is ineligible for the all-time draft.

Though, on the other hand, those who want to draft youngsters simply pay the consequence: bounced early in the playoffs for lack of experience in a top role. Draft Kovalchuk in the all-time main draft and lose my vote, and not only mine. Those g.m.s could start wising up to the idea that Crosby might work as an extra forward, Ovechkin as a hitting fourth liner, instead of placing them on the first and second lines of an all-time draft that does not reward "potential" and isn't completely comfortable with one- and two-year wonders (there have been several throughout history - and no, I'm not saying they are JUST that. But if their careers ended today due to injury or whatnot, they would not be selected an an all-time history draft fifty years from now).
I like the 2001 rookie rule, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute ... if Crosby were injured a couple years from now and he either a) stopped playing, or b) kept playing but was never the same player, he wouldn't be that much different than Eric Lindros, who is a consistent 100-ish pick.

And why exactly is a captain who plays 13 seasons, never wins the Norris / Hart / etc, gets picked to 1 all-star game, wins a Stanley Cup and a World Cup (Derian Hatcher) worthy of getting picked 200ish while a captain who plays 2 seasons, wins the Hart, Ross, Pearson, end-of-year Allstar, WJC gold, WJC silver (Sidney Crosby) isn't worthy of selection at all?

The only thing Hatcher has that Crosby doesn't is a decade of "yeah, he's a damn good player," but I would make the argument that two years of, "wait and see THIS kid," and two years of, "Jaromir who?" is just as impressive, if not moreso.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
we should make a number of choices via voting... have a list of questions and get everyone's opinion yay or nay on them... in september

(this thread is more just to gauge interest)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I like the 2001 rookie rule, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute ... if Crosby were injured a couple years from now and he either a) stopped playing, or b) kept playing but was never the same player, he wouldn't be that much different than Eric Lindros, who is a consistent 100-ish pick.

And why exactly is a captain who plays 13 seasons, never wins the Norris / Hart / etc, gets picked to 1 all-star game, wins a Stanley Cup and a World Cup (Derian Hatcher) worthy of getting picked 200ish while a captain who plays 2 seasons, wins the Hart, Ross, Pearson, end-of-year Allstar, WJC gold, WJC silver (Sidney Crosby) isn't worthy of selection at all?

The only thing Hatcher has that Crosby doesn't is a decade of "yeah, he's a damn good player," but I would make the argument that two years of, "wait and see THIS kid," and two years of, "Jaromir who?" is just as impressive, if not moreso.

Quantity of years at a moderately high level generally seems to take precedence over short-term high quality in the ATD, from what I've seen.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
The problem with saying no active players is you eliminate very worthy players right off the bat. The draft would lose a lot without Sakic, Lidstrom, Chelios,

Joe Thornton just finished his ninth year. He belongs in the main draft. So does Zdeno Chara, another nine-year veteran.

I would never pick a Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Staal in the main draft (I would in the minor league draft). I picked Morrow in the minor league draft, and gave him a long look in the main draft (for largely sentimental reasons). He has seven years of NHL experience.

Thats ageism

crosby ovechkin are great talents who are victims of there youth

Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Staal > Morrow

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com

When we started this draft it was try and get a ranking for thetop several hundred players. Now we are close to the top 1000 players. When the playoffs came into affect the focus switched from players to gm's and voting cliques.

Since were just building teams rookies should be picked because its just a draft!

If we exclude great young players then we should exclude barilko and lindberg and any player who had there career dramaticaly shorten.

Don't loose sight that this draft isnt seriosu anymore. It's been watered down by too many gm's so lets have fun! Picking a players like ovechkin or crosby or another great young player allows us to recognize how good that player is. Having the balls to pick them in light of some opinions is another element to delight upon.

If you dont want to pick a certain player just make the gm pay when you vote in the playoffs.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I agree with this. I don't think that we should prohibit people from drafting young players. Everyone values them differently, and let that be reflected in how they are voted for during the playoffs.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I don't know guys, a Hart is a Hart. Doesn't matter if the player can grow facial hair or not. Same goes for a Ross and Pearson.

Buddy O'connor gets picked (often times by me). O'connor on his best day wasn't as good as Crosby at 17 years old. And you know I'm not one to base much on the era a guy played in, and if I do it's usually the other way around saying that the '50's were the golden years of hockey.

Longevity is very important, but peak value DOES mean something. Even if Crosby has already hit his peak, it's at the same level as a guy like Elmer Lach IMO. Would I pick Crosby over Lach right now? Of course not. But I think Crosby and Lach on their best days are comparable players, which to me means that you can't exclude Crosby from being drafted. At the moment he is the BEST HOCKEY PLAYER IN THE WORLD. How many players can say that? How many players in the history of the game can say that? That has to count for something.

I'm not participating in ATD 8, but I will be back for 9. I'd find it very upsetting if there was a rule about who we can and cannot draft.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know guys, a Hart is a Hart. Doesn't matter if the player can grow facial hair or not. Same goes for a Ross and Pearson.

Buddy O'connor gets picked (often times by me). O'connor on his best day wasn't as good as Crosby at 17 years old. And you know I'm not one to base much on the era a guy played in, and if I do it's usually the other way around saying that the '50's were the golden years of hockey.

Longevity is very important, but peak value DOES mean something. Even if Crosby has already hit his peak, it's at the same level as a guy like Elmer Lach IMO. Would I pick Crosby over Lach right now? Of course not. But I think Crosby and Lach on their best days are comparable players, which to me means that you can't exclude Crosby from being drafted. At the moment he is the BEST HOCKEY PLAYER IN THE WORLD. How many players can say that? How many players in the history of the game can say that? That has to count for something.

I'm not participating in ATD 8, but I will be back for 9. I'd find it very upsetting if there was a rule about who we can and cannot draft.

I wonder if people here would have drafted Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr if they had only played their first two seasons.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I wonder if people here would have drafted Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr if they had only played their first two seasons.
Mario as never a first team all-star? never as a hart winner? never as a conn smythe winner?... hard to fathom...

Gretzky would have been a two time hart winner, 1st team and 2nd team all-star... would have been drafted

Orr would have a Norris trophy and first team all-star... probably: all Norris trophy winners have been drafted

by the way... through the massive 28-team 24-round all-time draft #7 and the 11-team 14+ round minor league draft to date... there are SEVERAL Calder trophy winning rookies of the year still undrafted. because a year or two early have not been backed up, due to injury, death and simple reduced brilliance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad