Atd#7 Minor League Draft

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Anyang picks Boris Mayorov.
m014.gif

5'9 left winger, 62 goals in 118 international games for the Soviet Union.

Team captain Mayorov was key to six world championships for the Soviet Union in the 1960s, leading the tournament in scoring in '61 when he was named the tournament's best forward. He won the gold at both the '64 and '68 Olympics.
http://www.hhof.com/html/t6gp06.shtml

...(on) the best line in the history of Moscow Spartak and in the world in the late 1960s.. Boris Mayorov loved to fight
http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/printthread.php?t=12725

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Quebec is proud to select C Art Chapman.

A star of the 30's who is largely forgotten by history, Chapman was a second team All Star in 1937. He was a supreme playmaker, leading the league in assists twice and finishing in the top-5 four times. He was also known as a very good defensive player:

During his career, he had often been chided for playing too defensively, but Chapman would give his standard reply "If you can stop them from scoring, you'll get a goal in time."

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG
Camille "The Eel" Henry
Henry_Camille.jpg

279 goals, 528 points in 727 NHL games. Three all-star games (1958, 1963, 1964). NHL 2nd all-star team (1958). Three-time Rangers' top goal scorer.

..won the Calder Memorial Trophy (beating out Jean Beliveau)... was the second team NHL all star left winger in 1958, the year he also won the Lady Byng.. In 1964/65 he was team Captain... known for his ability to swat the puck out of mid air to score goals... An interesting trivia note: on November 1, 1959, that fateful night when Jacques Plante first donned a mask, Camille was the first and the only one in that game to score on him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Henry

...scored 4 power-play goals in one game to set an NHL record... Twice he finished among the top 5 goal scorers and topped the 20-goal mark 8 times in his career... received a measly 88 penalty minutes during his 727-game career. Had his most productive season in 1962-63 with New York, scoring 37 goals and 60 points.
http://www.beehivehockey.com/profiles_04.htm

He was, all five-foot-seven inches of him, and a generous 145 pounds on the scale (if he was carrying barbells!), one of the most beloved and popular players in the history of the New York Rangers. Little left winger Camille Henry played 12 seasons and 637 games for the Blueshirts from 1953 to 1968.

Henry's style, on and off the ice, simply endeared him to Rangers fans from the very beginning. His smallish stature contributed to his style, which was one of elusiveness, hence the nickname "Camille The Eel." He was the National Hockey League's most accomplished sniper of his era, particularly adept at deflecting slap shots, usually on the power play.

On one amazing night in his rookie season of 1953-54, Henry slipped four pucks past Terry Sawchuk of the Detroit Red Wings, the only time that ever happened in Sawchuk's career.

Off the ice, it was Henry's affable nature that endeared him to fans, and more particularly to the newspapermen. Sure, he got hurt a lot and wore cumbersome braces on both knees, but he was always a solid quote machine. The newshounds always flocked to his locker. Asked once which player he had ever hurt with a body check, Henry shot back: "Camille Henry, that's who."

Murray (Muzz) Patrick, the Rangers' General Manager during most of Henry's time in New York, was always well aware of Henry's publicity value. Patrick even had Henry sign a contract one season from his hospital bed at St. Clare's Hospital on West 52nd Street. The photographers loved it. Henry was also front and center when the Rangers did their annual photo shoots with the ladies from the Ice Capades or the Ice Follies.

"The Eel" was on the ice for the very first face-off in the new building, playing left wing for center Jean Ratelle and right wing Rod Gilbert - two-thirds of the future G-A-G Line (Goal-A-Game) with the later addition of Vic Hadfield in Henry's place on the left side.... Henry posted 478 points (256 goals, 222 assists) during his run on Broadway, and served as Blueshirt captain in 1964-65.
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/tradition/lookback.asp?Ed=Henry

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Quebec is proud to select C Art Chapman.

A star of the 30's who is largely forgotten by history, Chapman was a second team All Star in 1937. He was a supreme playmaker, leading the league in assists twice and finishing in the top-5 four times. He was also known as a very good defensive player:

Art Chapman was on our list for the next few rounds.

Picks to come shortly.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our third selection, the 33rd overall in the minor league draft, the Syracuse Bulldogs are proud to select their number one defenseman and their captain: Hobey Baker

hobey-hockey.jpg

Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker

- Gentleman on the ice
- Great puckhandling abilities
- Great Skater
- Great puck rushing defenseman
- High stamina
- Lack of size

AWARDS:

Lester Patrick (1987)
Hockey Hall of Fame (1945)

HobeyBaker.com said:
It isn't easy to set down Hobey Baker on paper. You get the idea that people just won't believe what you write about him, he was that good.[...] There are those wrote during Baker's era, just before the Great War, that he was the greatest athlete who ever lived.[...] Jeffrey Hart penned that Baker was "probably the most charismatic athlete of all time."[...] Baker was a player who continually brought a crowd to its feet, whether he caught the puck on the end of his stick, or picked an enemy punt out of the air. He was not, it was written, a showman, but he did everything with a sense of showmanship because it was natural to him.[...] Baker's ability, as great as it was, was topped by his sportsmanship and he is perhaps known for this more than his playing skills. He was only penalized once in his college career - he was called for slashing against Harvard in 1913 - and was counted on always to visit the opposition's locker room after a game. Opponents as well as teammates loved him and his tremendous celebrity never occurred to them.

Hockey Hall of Fame said:
Hobart "Hobey" Baker was arguably the first hockey legend born in the United States. His standard of achievement both on and off the ice elevated him to unique status in that country's hockey world. Baker's most passionate conviction was that the game should be played with the utmost sportsmanship in addition to skill to preserve its integrity.[...] It was here that he first crafted the reputation of being a tremendous and versatile athlete as well as a gentleman in competition. Baker vowed to take his skating and puckhandling ability to the highest level in order to compensate for his lack of size.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...194502&type=Player&page=bio&list=ByName#photo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobey_Baker
http://www.hobeybaker.net/

Moreover, with their second selection in a row, the Bulldogs are very pleased to select their number one center: Bronco Horvath

broncohorvath2b.jpg

AWARDS:

WHL First All-Star Team (1955)
AHL First All-Star Team (1957)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1960)
AHL Second All-Star Team (1964, 1965)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1960, 1961)
Stanley Cup Final (1958, 1962)
Retroactive Rocket Richard Trophy (1960)

Hockey Hall of Fame said:
During his long career, Horvath also made brief stops in Montreal and Toronto but is best remembered for his days as a Boston Bruin where he produced his best offensive numbers. Joseph "Bronco" Horvath centred Johnny Bucyk and Vic Stasiuk on the Boston Bruins' famed Uke line, so named for its players' Ukrainian heritage. The Uke Line combined for 174 points in 1957-58, as Horvath lead the Bruins with 30 goals and 66 points. He added five more goals in 12 playoff games as Boston advanced to the Stanley Cup finals before losing to Montreal. Horvath missed the first 25 games of the 1958-59 season because of a broken jaw, but returned to score 19 goals in just 45 games. In 1959-60, Horvath battled Bobby Hull all season long for the NHL lead in goals and points. They tied at 39 goals, but Horvath lost the Art Ross Trophy by a single point, collecting 41 assists to Hull s 42. Horvath was named to the NHL Second All-Star team behind Jean Beliveau at centre that year. Never shy about offering his opinion, Horvath was once quoted as saying "If Chief (Bucyk) hadn't got injured, I'd have shattered 50 goals. I'd love to be able to play hockey today with Bucyk and Stasiuk on the wings. I'd score over a 100 goals a year with the 80 game schedule."

Coach:
Clint Smith – Bronco Horvath – XXX
Herb Cain – XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX – XXX

Hobey Baker(C) – XXX
XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX

XXX
XXX
XXX

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I've always wanted to pick Hobey. I was ready to do it in the fifth minor league draft, but noticed at the last minute that Dick Duff was available, and went with Duff instead. (Incredibly, Duff had never been selected at that point, either).

I think Baker suffers from questions about his competition. When you read the bios of some of the other amateurs of the day, a lot of them are regarded by some as better players than Baker. Hobey Baker was a truly magnificent talent, though.

The other reason I've never picked him is he was a very, very sportsmanlike player, and if you look at my minor league teams, an extremely clean player like Baker would never fit in.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Is there someone who'll be around tonight that I can send my pick to? I'll be away from the computer for several hours and don't want to hold this up after VanI/HO make their pick.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Is there someone who'll be around tonight that I can send my pick to? I'll be away from the computer for several hours and don't want to hold this up after VanI/HO make their pick.
I can take it if nobody else can, pit. I have to work for about an hour, but outside of that, I should always be near a computer.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG
Hubert "Pit" Martin
152780701.jpg

324 goals, 809 points in 1101 NHL games (58 pts in 100 NHL playoff games). In NHL all-star game (1971, 1972, 1973, 1974). Blackhawks captain (1975-1977). Five hat tricks. Scored team record two powerplay goals in the same period of a playoff game (1973). Tied Blackhawks record for most hat tricks in a playoffs year (2).

During a dismal 1968-69 season where the Hawks finished out of the playoffs, Martin denounced many of his teammates, claiming that only three "wear their uniforms with any desire to win." The next season, the team rebounded, finishing in first place with Martin contributing 30 goals and 33 assists. Martin won the Masterton Trophy that season
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13551

...the rugged two-way forward proved that he could leave his mark in the NHL by playing hard every shift of every game
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13551

A very interesting excerpt from Sports Illustrated, March 6th 1972:
"They had tried me with Bobby when I first came to Chicago in 1967 and I felt like the switchman on a railroad," Martin recalls. "Everyone told me to get the puck to Bobby, so when it would come to me I'd just switch directions and send it over to him. But Bobby doesn't want a center like that. If he was a pushy guy he'd have told me to keep the puck for a few moments and then get it to him when he broke free. But Bobby's not that way. He's not going to tell someone else how to play even if it might mean more goals for him."

For a time the Hull-Martin-Maki line was effective. "I've changed," Martin claims. "I'm not afraid to hang onto the puck, because I have more confidence. If Bobby's not in the clear I don't force the puck to him. I try to make the play for myself." In any case, Reay moved Martin last week and installed Campbell once again.

To the layman, the answer to Hull's center dilemma might seem obvious: give the job to Stan Mikita, who is, after all, one of the best in the game. "I've tried it on occasion," Reay says, "but they don't work well together. Both Stan and Bobby need the puck, and there is only one puck to play with." Mikita agrees. "Bobby wants the puck 15 or 20 feet before he hits the blue line," he says. "I want to keep the puck until I get across the blue line. Our styles are so different that we could never play together regularly."
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/3815/si030672.htm

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
G Jose Theodore.
Like Horvath he's a short-term wonder, only playing over half a season four times in his career:

2000-01 Montreal Canadiens NHL 59 20 29 5 3298 141 2 2.57 1 0 0.909
2001-02 Montreal Canadiens NHL 67 30 24 10 3864 136 7 2.11 0 2 0.931
2002-03 Montreal Canadiens NHL 57 20 31 6 3419 165 2 2.90 0 2 0.909
2003-04 Montreal Canadiens NHL 67 33 28 5 3960 150 6 2.27 0 3 0.919

Two winning seasons, two losing seasons, three decent save percentages, one super save percentage and both a Hart and Vezina trophy that year to show for it.

Career didn't then end due to injury, suggesting possible continued greatness, instead his brilliance simply faded away to become a part-time 'keeper to date.

To the issue of peak vs. career one doesn't want to have to choose between them, the best being to have both. But no doubt Theodore has had a great peak and lacklustre career.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Like Horvath he's a short-term wonder, only playing over half a season four times in his career:

2000-01 Montreal Canadiens NHL 59 20 29 5 3298 141 2 2.57 1 0 0.909
2001-02 Montreal Canadiens NHL 67 30 24 10 3864 136 7 2.11 0 2 0.931
2002-03 Montreal Canadiens NHL 57 20 31 6 3419 165 2 2.90 0 2 0.909
2003-04 Montreal Canadiens NHL 67 33 28 5 3960 150 6 2.27 0 3 0.919

Two winning seasons, two losing seasons, three decent save percentages, one super save percentage and both a Hart and Vezina trophy that year to show for it.

Career didn't then end due to injury, suggesting possible continued greatness, instead his brilliance simply faded away to become a part-time 'keeper to date.

To the issue of peak vs. career one doesn't want to have to choose between them, the best being to have both. But no doubt Theodore has had a great peak and lacklustre career.

So in summary, do you view Theodore as a good starting goalie for this draft?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
So in summary, do you view Theodore as a good starting goalie for this draft?
Well,... I think he's good to have as one of the three goalies we each are to have in the system. In the minor leagues you'd expect more shared ice time, developmental work, less riding the bench all season. You can never go too wrong with a Hart trophy winner in the stables.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Bronco Horvath
Horvath had three great years in the NHL:

1957-58 Boston Bruins NHL 67 30 36 66 71 12 5 3 8 8
1958-59 Boston Bruins NHL 45 19 20 39 58 7 2 3 5 0
1959-60 Boston Bruins NHL 68 39 41 80 60 --

And other than these three years only played more than half a season twice in the big league, spending the last eight years of his career as an AHL star called up to the NHL for 10 games once, 14 games another time.

Regarding the peak vs. career issue, like Theodore, he had a great peak and a lacklustre career overall.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Picking for Pitseleh :

Quebec Bulldogs selects former Quebec Nordiques (amongst others)

D Jeff Brown.

Details to follow.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
round 3 reflections:

players stolen from Vees list of potential draftees: None
players who should have been on the Vees list: Rautakallio, Patrick
players thought perhaps drafted a bit early: Beukeboom, Theodore
careers short at (deepest talent pool) centre position: Datsyuk, Getzlaf
players that seem like interesting picks: Baker

Ad