ATD#7 Foster Hewitt Division Finals: #1 Falcons vs. #3 Metropolitans

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Falcons win offensive contest 7-5

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) РCaptain Jean B̩liveau played the now-familiar role of hero, scoring the go-ahead goal with 6:44 remaining as the top-ranked Detroit Falcons moved to the brink of the Eastern Conference Finals with a wild 7-5 victory over the Seattle Metropolitans.

Playing with an uncharacteristically loose defensively, Detroit squandered a two-goal lead midway through the third period as the Mets scored twice in an 85-second span. But Béliveau, who got the winner in Game Three, came through again.

Alex Delvecchio broke down the left side on a 2-on-2 and cut across the top of the slot. He wristed a shot from above the right faceoff circle that Chuck Gardiner stopped. Béliveau, stationed at the top of the crease, slid in the rebound as he was sent sprawling by defenseman Rod Langway.

It was the second goal of the game for Béliveau, who scored his fifth of the series and fourth game-winner of these playoffs.

"That's not stuff that I think about. But it's very fun to be able to contribute in game situations," said Béliveau, the winner of ten Stanley Cups. "Fats made a great play and all I was trying to do was not get in his way and be careful not to interfere with the goaltender. His shot came in high, it went off Gardiner's chest and I was able to get a couple whacks at the rebound."

Detroit took a major step toward an appearance in the Eastern Conference finals as Doug Jarvis scored into an empty net with 34 seconds remaining. The Falcons, who improved to 4-2 at home in these playoffs, head out on the road with a three games to two lead and can wrap up the series on Tuesday. Detroit went 1-1 at the Ice Arena in Games 3 and 4.

"We certainly have a good chance on the road to wrap up the series. But we are going to have to play better defensively if we are going to be able to close out Seattle," Jarvis said.

Trailing 5-3, the Mets came to life on quick goals by Jaromir Jagr and Tim Kerr. After Jagr’s powerplay goal, Kerr beat Plante on a wraparound with 9:03 to play, but that turned out to be Seattle' last shot on goal.

"Jags powerplay goal cut (the lead) to 5-4 and Timmy had a big goal to tie it up for us. But we continued to play a loose-checking game and were caught running around in the neutral zone an awful lot," said Seattle center Bryan Trottier.

"We played more to their style of play. We are a tight-checking team and we certainly got away from that," said Detroit center Mike Modano. "But we’ll take it. Surrendering five goals usually are enough for us to lose, we should never need to score any more than that."

Béliveau's first goal lifted Detroit into a 3-3 tie just 3:25 into the second period. On a rebound of a Larry Murphy point shot, he had three whacks at the puck at the left goalpost before finally putting it past Gardiner.

Gordie Drillon put the Falcons ahead just over seven minutes later, ending their 1-for-23 power-play slump by putting a low slap shot from the left circle between Gardiner's pads.

Alex Delvecchio made it three straight goals for Detroit at 7:26 of the third period with his second of the game. Béliveau blew past defenseman Doug Jarvis at the blue line and moved down low before backhanding a pass across the slot. Delvecchio shoveled the puck past a sliding Gardiner for his fourth goal of the playoffs.

Then Dan Bain was penalized for holding Brent Sutter’s stick at 8:42 and Jaromir Jagr sparked Seattle' comeback 50 seconds later. He took a pass from Rod Langway, who was set up by a slick Trottier back pass from the side boards, and one-timed a slap shot from high in the right circle just inside the left post.

The Olympia Stadium crowd was stunned moments later when Kerr banked the puck off Plante's left skate and just inside the net for the tying goal, his first this series.

Delvecchio opened the scoring 3:28 into the first period, sweeping in Marcel Pronovost’s pass just after a Detroit power play expired.

"Jean, Fats (Delvecchio), and Hex all came in and did an excellent job contributing for three periods. Fats really stepped up and did a great job and scored two big goals for us," Mike Modano said. "It was a great team effort and obviously a huge win for us."

The Mets tied it on Meagher's shorthanded goal at the 12-minute mark and grabbed the lead 3:05 later as Rod Langway trailed a 2-on-1 and put in Trottier's rebound for his second playoff tally.

Ching Johnson responded by beating Gardiner with a slapper from the right circle with 33 seconds left, enabling the Falcons to go to the locker room in a 2-2 tie.

After both goalies were stellar in Game Four, Plante stopped 25 shots and Gardiner made 19 saves.

"All year long, he (Gardiner) has played consistently well and has kept us in game after game. When you give a team like Detroit numerous odd-man opportunities, like we gave them today, it's going to catch up to you no matter who's in goal," Bernie Federko said.

"When I was younger, it would bother me to be in a game in which I allowed five goals," Plante said. "But now I'm as comfortable being in a 7-5 game as I am a 2-1 game. The bottom line is, we won."

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Trottier, Mets force Game Seven with 3rd period outburst

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- The Seattle Metropolitans forced a decisive seventh game in the Foster Hewitt Division finals with a 4-2 victory over the Detroit Falcons as Bryan Trottier scored twice in a three-goal third period for the Mets.

Both teams get an extra day off before Detroit hosts Game Seven on Friday. The winner advances to the Eastern Conference Finals.

"I think anytime you come home and force a Game Seven, you have to enjoy it for a bit," Mets defenseman Craig Ludwig said. "But we're going to be right back at it tomorrow, looking at game film and seeing some things we can probably improve upon. Anytime you go into a Game Seven, nothing's over, especially against these guys.

"We know the way this series has gone, home-ice has meant nothing to either team. We're going to be in for a battle Friday night."

The Mets overcame a shaky start, tying it early in the second period on Bernie Federko's goal before Trottier helped break open the game in the third. He broke a 2-2 deadlock with 13:11 remaining, wristing in a rebound off of a shot by Bill Gadsby.

Michel Goulet nearly scored an insurance goal with just under four minutes to play but goaltender Jacques Plante kicked out his left skate to foil a breakaway attempt.

Moments later on the ensuing rush, Detroit's Rick Middleton collided with Chuck Gardiner and was penalized for goaltender interference.

"I didn't think it was a penalty because I saw the same thing happen to Jacques last game in Detroit, and it wasn't (a penalty). So I thought it was fair play to go after the puck tight in the crease," Middleton said.

The Mets needed 56 seconds to convert on the ensuing power play, grabbing a 4-2 lead when Trottier banged in a shot from the left circle off a Langway saucer pass for his seventh playoff goal.

"I think it was just a great team effort. I was the fortunate one that got the goals at the end," Trottier said. "We played hard all night, battled hard and got to live another day.

"It's not very often that you get a couple of open nets like that and Michel had another chance on a breakaway. Like I said, it was a great team period, and we're going to take it."

"We just stayed with it. We were coming at 'em, coming at 'em, that's what we've got to do -- try to keep them in their own end as much as possible," Brent Sutter said. "I think we just wore them down in the third and got a few bounces."

Gardiner turned aside 26 shots, including all 18 after Béliveau scored his second of the period to stake the Falcons to a 2-1 lead in the final minute of the first period.

"I said yesterday, we had to play desperate to win the hockey game. And for some reason, we didn't," Doug Jarvis said. "We got down by a goal a couple times last game and we never gave up. We got down by a goal today and it was a free-for-all, and we threw the game out the window. We just have to regroup and get ready to win Game Seven."

The Mets outshot Detroit, 50-27, including a 37-18 edge over the final two periods.

Plante finished with 46 saves as the Falcons fell to 3-2 on the road in the postseason. They are 4-2 at home.

"We've had a lot of success on the road and we're going to Detroit for Game Seven. We just want to play hard, play our guts out and hopefully get the win," said Seattle captain Alf Smith.

"We're playing against a team with a lot of experience and a lot of pride. I thought they played very well. I thought they played really patient," Plante said. "They were waiting for us to make turnovers and I think they did their job. Even when we took a 2-1 lead, they still played the same system."

Both teams had chances early in the first period. Plante came up with a pair of saves on Bob Bourne 7 1/2 minutes into the game, but a bad line change nearly put Seattle behind. Alex Delvecchio, who had a big Game Five with two goals, took a drop pass from Béliveau and fired a blast from the top of the right circle that Gardiner stopped.

Detroit defenseman Marcel Pronovost fired wide of an open net off Mike Modano's pass with 6:39 to go in the period. He had another chance four minutes later, but Gardiner got a piece of the shot with his blocker and the puck hit the left goalpost.

The Falcons scored first for the second straight game, cashing in on their ninth shot. Ching Johnson took a pass from Dan Bain and unleashed a shot from the right point. Marcel Bonin was tied up in front with defenseman James Patrick, but deflected it down and between Gardiner's pads for his first playoff goal. Federko tied it 27 seconds later on a 3-on-1 rush. After Flash Hollett failed to keep the puck in on an ill-timed pinch, Alf Smith carried the puck down the left side and fed a cross ice pass to Jagr who quickly flipped the puck over a diving Edward Ivanov for Federko to tap it into the empty cage.

Béliveau then staked the Falcons to another lead when Larry Murphy’s shot from the right point hit the Falcons captain in the left skate as he charged the net, and slid past goalie Gardiner to take a 2-1 lead with 1:46 left in the first. It was Béliveau’s sixth of the series and eleventh of the playoffs.

"We played the way we wanted to. It's unfortunate we gave up that late goal," Pete Green said. "But it was three Falcons players that made three great plays on it. Those things happen. I thought we responded. I thought the second and third periods were terrific periods for us. We played very strong."

Seattle tied it 1:55 into the second period on its 10th shot. Bill Gadsby’s slapper never reached the net through a crowd, but Tim Kerr got to the loose puck and flipped it into the top right corner of the net for his eighth postseason goal and third of the series.

The Mets were 1-for-3 on the power play, improving to 4-for-13 in the last three games following a 1-for-17 stretch. Detroit was 0-for-3 with the man advantage, dropping to 2-for-26 in the last seven games.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
3-3, going to Detroit's home! May the best team win!

An excerpt from the Thursday edition of the Detroit Free Press...

Game Seven at Olympia
It's encore or curtains for Falcons in tonight's electric jam at Olympia

The Falcons grinded all season to earn home-ice advantage in the playoffs. On Friday, they hope to put their Foster Hewitt Division title to good use.

If there is any justification to winning the regular season, it is this: Game 7 of the finals against Seattle will be played at Olympia Stadium.

The Falcons and Mets have matched lines, goaltenders and defensemen, with neither earning a distinct advantage entering the game that sends the winner to play Buffalo in the Conference Finals.

"If anything comes out of what we've done in the last five months to gain home ice, we'd better take advantage of it now," Falcons defenseman Ching Johnson said. "It's time to use it."

So far in this series, home ice has been a slight advantage. Both teams are 2-1 at home, but some of the biggest momentum shifts have come on the road.

So here they are, all even, except...

"Home is where the heart is," Falcons center Doug Jarvis said. "And if you can't play with heart in this game, you aren’t going to win."

"If you ask them, the reason why they wanted to win Game 6 was to not come back here for Game 7," Falcons winger Rick Middleton said. "It's got to be an advantage, or else playing the regular season wouldn't be worth it."

Falcons center Jean Béliveau said playing at home is a distinct advantage. When Béliveau was with Montreal, he said he used to scoff at former Canadiens coach Toe Blake because Blake placed emphasis on trying to win during the regular season to get home-ice advantage.

Some players say the key for Detroit is to treat Friday's contest like a road game. Players say they sometimes are more inclined to simplify things on the road, instead of getting caught up in the emotion that comes at home.

At Olympia, players seem more inclined to show off in front of the fans with fancy plays, often forgetting defense is the key to their game.

"Sometimes at home, you try to be extra cute and get wound up in the atmosphere of the crowd," Falcons center Mike Modano said. "When you go on the road, it's totally opposite. You know the fans aren't going to help you at all. That's when you really buckle down and concentrate on your game."

Falcons coach Jacques Demers said his team's biggest problem when playing at Olympia is sitting on leads. They come out strong, then don't finish what they started.

He said the most important aspect of Friday's game is playing their style for 60 minutes. In Game 5, the Falcons got caught playing Seattle's wide-open game, and luckily escaped with a 7-5 victory.

"Sometimes at home you want to play the score rather than the game," Demers said. "When you play the score, bad things happen. You get up, 2-0, and you kind of want to get out of the game without getting banged around. It's only natural."

Still, the Falcons are banking on home ice carrying them. After all, they didn't win the division for nothing. Or did they?

"That's why you play 82 games, to have your fans, be in your building, and be able to go through your routine at home," Falcons right wing Jack Darragh said. "Now it's up to us to take advantage of it."

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
7th heaven! Mets advance to Conference Final

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) – Chuck Gardiner came up big, getting help from a tight defense and a decisive goal from Jaromir Jagr, to lead the Seattle Metropolitans into the Eastern Conference Finals with a 4-1 victory over the Detroit Falcons.

The Mets won the decisive seventh game of the Foster Hewitt Division finals and will take on Buffalo in Game One of the Eastern Conference Finals on Tuesday.

"It's been great to be a part of this, and it's an awesome feeling to be a captain on a team that won the Foster Hewitt Division," said Seattle right winger Alf Smith. "I don't want to slight the accomplishment that we achieved tonight, but there's only one thing on my mind, and that is the All-time Draft championship. That's all that matters."

Gardiner led the Chicago Blackhawks to their first ever Stanley Cup appearance and tonight he outplayed five-time Cup winner Jacques Plante, making 18 saves and taking a shutout deep into the third period.

"He's been underrated and it's really unfair because anybody who's watched the playoffs this year has seen Chuck at his best," said teammate Michel Goulet. "He's come through in big times."

"There's always going to be doubters when you face a goalie of Jacques caliber," Gardiner added. "Like I said before, you don't worry about it. I know what I can do and my teammates know what I can do, and that's all that matters."

Jagr, who has enjoyed a strong series against the Falcons, capped a two goal outburst by the Mets in a 4:05 span of the second period to break open a tight game.

The Mets depth was the key during the regular season and early playoff rounds and played like it tonight, holding the powerful Falcons without a shot for the first 14 minutes of the second period and limiting them to only nine over the first 40 minutes.

"That's a textbook Seattle Mets' hockey game that we played tonight," coach Pete Green said.

"We pride ourselves in pressure hockey, forcing the opposing defenceman, and rolling four lines to frustrate the other team. That's exactly how it worked out for us tonight," center Brent Sutter added.

Michel Goulet, Alf Smith, and Brent Sutter scored the other goals for Seattle, which won the final two games of the series.

Goulet, who last scored the overtime winner in Game Four, put the Mets in front to stay 8:25 into the first period. Bryan Trottier threw a perfect cross-ice pass from the outside edge of the left faceoff circle and Goulet deflected it past a startled Plante. It was the seventh playoff goal for Goulet and his second of the series.

Detroit had a couple of solid scoring chances in the first period. Defenseman James Patrick backchecked to break up a 2-on-1 with 16:07 remaining and Tommy Phillips deflected Jack Darragh’s pass wide of the left goalpost with just under two minutes remaining.

But the Falcons, who had won three of their previous five road games, were unable to generate any offense in the second period. They did not get a shot on goal until Marcel Pronovost tested Gardiner with 5:55 left, three minutes after Smith doubled Seattle' lead.

Detroit had the advantage during a scrum along the left boards, but defenseman Ching Johnson inadvertently knocked the puck off teammate Mike Modano's stick. Jagr threw it toward the net but it caromed off Bernie Federko and into the high slot, where Smith beat Plante to the stick side.

Jagr, who had five goals in the series, scored with 4:42 to go in the period. He carried the puck down the right side on a 2-on-1 with Federko and slowly closed in on the net as Ivanov kept backing up. Jagr deked Plante before curling a shot around the goalie's left pad.

"All season long, someone has stepped up to make the big plays. And tonight it was Jags," said Mets center Bryan Trottier. "It's been like that all season. All through the playoffs, somewhere, somehow, someone comes up and makes a big play. Our depth has been a positive for our team.â€

Detroit showed signs of life near the end of the period, but Gardiner stopped a flurry of shots by Pronovost and Mike Modano moments before Falcons star Jean Béliveau was penalized for high-sticking.

Gardiner got his right pad on Dan Bain's quick wrist shot in the opening minute of the third, then made his biggest save with 13:52 left. Béliveau burst through two defenders and came in alone but was stopped by Gardiner and sent the rebound off the left post.

The Mets counterattacked and took a 4-0 lead when Sutter intercepted Larry Murphy's poor clearing attempt and scored from the right circle before the defenceman could recover.

That broke the back of the Falcons, who avoided their second shutout of the series when Modano deflected Gordie Drillon's long backhander past Gardiner with 6:02 left.

"As soon as they get the lead, they really collapsed the neutral zone, and that's where their depth and size becomes a real factor for them," said Falcons coach Jacques Demers. "They forecheck very well and they counter-attack well, and we knew when we got down by a couple of goals that it would be very tough for us because we had to open it up."

Gardiner improved to 12-6 this playoffs, and has been playing his best hockey since his 1934 Stanley Cup run. With the loss Plante fell to 7-5 in these playoffs.

"It's tough to take this because there are not that many chances to win in all," Plante said. "Gave Six didn't hurt as much as this game did because in Game Seven we lost in our own building with a chance to wrap up the series."

The Falcons were 0-for-2 on the power play and scored only twice in 28 chances in its last seven games.

==================================================

Three Stars of the series as voted by All-time draft managers

1. Jean Béliveau – ‘Le Gros Bill’ had another strong series, albeit in a losing effort, with 6 goals (2 game winners), 4 assists as the Mets had trouble containing the big center.

2. Jacques Plante – He kept the Falcons in the series early on, but was overwhelmed later in the match-up – 3 wins, 2.87 GAA, 0.921 SV%, 1 shutout. One of the main reasons the series went seven games.

3. Jaromir Jagr – The big winger was the top scorer for the Mets with 5 goals (1 game winner), 3 assists. Playing with captain Alf Smith and center Bernie Federko, Jagr's line was a deciding factor in this close series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad