ATD 2022 Rules Poll Number 5: Randomness

Do you want an element of randomness in the ATD 2022 playoffs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
TDMM’s idea from last year was pretty decent, so we might be able to build on it.

In the regular season, voters don’t vote on every division. Let’s say they vote on other divisions, but not their own.

In the playoffs, voters can vote on every series.

That change in the voting pool could be enough to make it less predictable without introducing the element of randomness.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
TDMM’s idea from last year was pretty decent, so we might be able to build on it.

In the regular season, voters don’t vote on every division. Let’s say they vote on other divisions, but not their own.

In the playoffs, voters can vote on every series.

That change in the voting pool could be enough to make it less predictable without introducing the element of randomness.

I would be happy with doing it this way, or leaving it the way it is.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The only randomness that appeals:

Don't release the regular season division rankings until after the playoffs and randomize the matchups (including the bye if there's one).

Arguably, the best playoff team should win anyways, eh?

No one would be discouraged from participating in the playoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
One year we did cross-divisional playoffs.

Seed 1 from one division played seed 4 from the other division in their conference, etc

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Do we need divisions at all? Two conferences and the usual bracket will flow. If 14 teams, 1st place of each gets a by.

It's only 7 teams per conference, not that hard to rank.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Do we need divisions at all? Two conferences and the usual bracket will flow. If 14 teams, 1st place of each gets a by.

Cross conference playoffs? Would have different voting than the regular season, though it gets a little complicated in round 2

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

It's only 7 teams per conference, not that hard to rank.

I would say do divisions if we make it to 16 teams, but if we don't it doesn't make sense, as you'd have 1-2 divisions with only 3 teams.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Cross conference playoffs? Would have different voting than the regular season, though it gets a little complicated in round 2

What do you mean by cross conference?

To be clear, what I meant was like a Tennis bracket. If we aren't in the same conference, then we can't meet until the ATD Finals.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
14 teams

Conference A

1st round

1 gets by
2 vs. 7
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5

2nd round

1 vs. 4
2 vs. 3

3rd round

1 vs. 2

ATD Finals

1 vs. 1 (of Conference B who followed the same structure)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I would say do divisions if we make it to 16 teams, but if we don't it doesn't make sense, as you'd have 1-2 divisions with only 3 teams.

Even at 16, I see no point in divisions. It's the perfect number for a clean conference bracket.

Beyond 16, then OK.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And if people insist on hiding the seeds, then 1st can't get the by, else it would reveal his standing. In that case, just do a lottery pre-playoffs such that one random team gets a by in the 1st round. Then in the 2nd round, replace him to his appropriate seed.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
What do you mean by cross conference?

To be clear, what I meant was like a Tennis bracket. If we aren't in the same conference, then we can't meet until the ATD Finals.

1st seed from conference A would play 8th seed from conference B in the first round, etc.

I don't remember what happens in round 2...

We did this with divisions once; I don't think it was when I was admining things.

It's not worth delving into details if nobody thinks this would be an improvement.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
1st seed from conference A would play 8th seed from conference B in the first round, etc.

I don't remember what happens in round 2...

We did this with divisions once; I don't think it was when I was admining things.

It's not worth delving into details if nobody thinks this would be an improvement.

Yeah, I have no problem with this, but I see no immediate upside over the normal bracket. Maybe there are some, haven't thought about it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The upside is the playoffs give different matchups than you voted on in the regular season. Different comparisons to make, and less likely for "chalk" results.

OK

I still hate it aesthetically but it's completely irrational and I have no counterargument

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad