ATD 2018 Sign Up Thread

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

The other option is to give them 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th choice were they pick. Those of them who sign up again next year can choose their spot and then the remaining draft order will be determined by a lottery as usual.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The other option is to give them 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th choice were they pick. Those of them who sign up again next year can choose their spot and then the remaining draft order will be determined by a lottery as usual.

I don't understand what youare referring to?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Since you guys already seem to have a full group and the draft order was already posted it looks like I’m too late. I can always just wait for next year. Or you can place me on a replacement/backup list or something if anyone has to back out. It’s up to you.

Either way I will be following along!

If BlueBull doesn't check in his spot is up for grabs

Reactions: Habsfan18

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I don't understand what youare referring to?

To this:

We've talked about this last year, but I don't think any decision was made: Wouldn't it be nice to give those participants who don't make the playoff an incentive to sign up again last year? I would propose we have another lottery right after the regular season standings are announced and assign picks 1-8 overall of the 2019 ATD to the GMs who are done for 2018.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm against that, because then winners won't ever pick at the top.Did GMs that missed the playoffs deserted more than those that did?

Truth be told, the value of a ranking spot is not clear to me.It's not clear that 1st overall is more valuable than 5th overall or12th overall.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@BenchBrawl Are you going to send out a PM to everyone stating the draft order has been finalized and picks can start being made?

I spoke with Leaf Lander briefly on facebook so I know he's aware he has the 2nd overall. He's been super lucky lately. 1st overall last year, and 2 this year! Maybe play the lottery haha.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Did GMs that missed the playoffs deserted more than those that did?

This is only the second year that not everybody makes the playoffs. I can't speak for the participants, but it could potentially be off-turning e.g. for a rookie GM to sign up for the ATD and then be done after the regular season. If you give them some kind of reward for participating, that could be a mean to not give them the feeling their effort was for nothing. And since the reward comes with the condition they sign up again next year, it could also be a mean to stabilize or even increase the number of participants in the future.

Truth be told, the value of a ranking spot is not clear to me.It's not clear that 1st overall is more valuable than 5th overall or12th overall.

Which is why I have suggested the following alternative:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This is only the second year that not everybody makes the playoffs. I can't speak for the participants, but it could potentially be off-turning e.g. for a rookie GM to sign up for the ATD and then be done after the regular season. If you give them some kind of reward for participating, that could be a mean to not give them the feeling their effort was for nothing. And since the reward comes with the condition they sign up again next year, that could be a mean to stabilize or even increase the number of participants in the future.

Which is why I have suggested the following alternative:

OK, but rookies will undoubtedbly take the highest spot because they're not used to the subtleties of the draft yet.So I don't see any difference in practice.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
OK, but rookies will undoubtedbly take the highest spot because they're not used to the subtleties of the draft yet.So I don't see any difference in practice.

Which in turn is the reason why I have originally suggested just giving them the 1st-8th overall picks. :laugh:

But:
-You never know whether someone is willing to think outside the box. It's likely they pick the highest spot, but not a foregone conclusion.
-Not all of the GMs who would end up with a choice of where to pick would be rookies. We've got 4 rookie GMs this time, right? Overall 8 GMs are going to end up missing the playoffs this year.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't know, I guess I just think the draft lottery is a fun part of it all and I'm not as concerned as you are about the reaction of GMs missing the playoffs.I was a rookie too once and would certainly have missed the playoffs in my first year,and in some later years I drafted some pretty bad teams too.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
overpass, last to sign up, gets 1st overall!

No kidding...I just signed up and now I'm first overall! I almost feel bad...but not enough to trade the spot :D

I thought I knew who I would pick here, but now that I have it I'm torn. Will probably pick later today

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I see that this has started but if anyone is interested in a consultant/co-gm or just wanna talk out some picks, contact me!

Really unfortunate that so many new guys are coming in just as the thing started.I take the responsability in not delaying the draft as some proposed, but we didn't have any sign-ups for quite some time (unless we went out of our way to PM them).

It would be awesome if you guys could sign up next year.The draft is always starting at around the same time and always looking for new blood.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@BenchBrawl Well bluebull still hasn't signed in so at least one spot may be opening up.

Habsfan18 looks to be the first alternate. Never know. Always nice to have a few willing back up plans. And hopefully, as you said, these folks will consider signing up next year.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Should note that PeskyPenguin is not new blood. She co-GMed the Angry Turnips a few years ago.

I'm going to wait and see if another GM claims PP4 as a co-GM, because fresh combinations of old parts is what the ATD's all about. If not, you know where to find me.

I see, my apologies.Well, new old blood then :D

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yeah I see now, it was the 2015 draft.I wasn't as involved in that one, probably why I don't remember.Only year I didn't sign up before the draft, only joined papershoes' team later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad