ATD 2018 Ottawa Senators -- Team Captain vote

Who is your vote for Ottawa Senators captain in the 2018 ATD?

• Joe Malone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Art Coulter

• Henri Richard

• Darryl Sittler

• Dave Poulin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I’m a fan of the old practice of players voting for team captain. I think it makes the captain more of a players’ representative and leader rather than the modern practice of the captain as a corporate face. I’d like to do that for the Ottawa Senators, which means that I can’t pick the captain. Alas, the players can't actually vote…so this is where you come in.

Vote in the poll for who should be the Ottawa Senators captain. If you vote "in character" by voting as one of the players on the Ottawa Senators roster, making a comment saying which player you are and who you are voting for, your vote will count double.

Thanks in advance to those who participate. Not restricted to current ATD participants.

Glen Sather will make Frank Boucher count the votes and will announce the results. Voting will not necessarily determine the alternate captains.

You’re sitting in the dressing room with the rest of the Ottawa Senators after a preseason practice.

Head coach Glen Sather and assistant coach Frank Boucher walk in. “Well boys, it’s time to choose a captain,” says Glen. “Take a pencil and paper, write your choice, and drop it into Frank’s fedora. You can vote for Gordie, Joe, Darryl, Henri, Dave, Scott, or Art.”

You take the pencil and paper and look around the room. What a great group of leaders…and now you have to pick one to led the team. Whose name will you write down?

The candidates are:

Joe Malone, captain of the Quebec Bulldogs from 1912 to 1916, including their Stanley Cup victories in 1912 and 1913. Malone resigned as captain before the 1917 season, saying he wanted someone else to have the opportunity to captain the team.

Art Coulter was captain of the New York Rangers from 1937-38 to 1941-42, including their Stanley Cup victory in 1940. Lester Patrick named him captain in part to motivate him because he was having trouble through to Coulter, an independent personality, and thought he would respond well to the responsibility. It appears to have worked, as Clint Smith remembers Coulter as the best player on their very strong 1940 Cup winning team.

Gordie Howe was captain of the Detroit Red Wings from 1957-58 to 1961-62. Howe was named a playing assistant coach before the 1962-63 season and Alex Delvecchio became the team captain. The team made the Cup Finals in 1961 with Howe as captain.

Henri Richard was captain of the Montreal Canadiens from 1971-72 to 1974-75. They won the Cup with him as captain in 1973. He was also an alternate captain (with Jean Beliveau as captain) for Stanley Cup wins in 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, and 1971.

Darryl Sittler was captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1975-76 to midseason 1981-82, when he was traded to Philadelphia. He took the C off his jersey for part of the 1980 season after Lanny McDonald was traded, and left the team for a time in 1981, citing depression issues, after the team failed to trade him. He was to be named Flyers captain in 1984 but was traded to Detroit that very day. Dave Poulin was named captain instead.

Dave Poulin was captain of the Philadephia Flyers from 1984-85 (only the second full NHL season for Poulin, who had a late NHL start after graduating from Notre Dame) to 1989-90, when he was traded to Boston. The Flyers reached the Stanley Cup Final twice in that time.

Scott Stevens was captain of the St. Louis Blues in 1990-91, and captain of the New Jersey Devils from 1992-93 to 2003-04. The Devils won the Cup in 1995, 2000, and 2003 with Stevens as captain.

The lines so far in training camp have been:

Joe Malone - Darryl Sittler - Gordie Howe
Paul Thompson - Henri Richard - Theo Fleury
Brad Marchand - Neil Colville - Alexander Mogilny
Rusty Crawford - Dave Poulin - Rene Robert
Hamby Shore – John Tavares – Jack Darragh (spares)

Scott Stevens - Larry Murphy
Babe Pratt - Art Coulter
Glen Harmon - Alex Pietrangelo

Vladislav Tretiak
Curtis Joseph

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Joe Malone, captain of the Quebec Bulldogs from 1912 to 1916, including their Stanley Cup victories in 1912 and 1913. Malone resigned as captain before the 1917 season, saying he wanted someone else to have the opportunity to captain the team.
Art Coulter was captain of the New York Rangers from 1937-38 to 1941-42, including their Stanley Cup victory in 1940. Lester Patrick named him captain in part to motivate him because he was having trouble through to Coulter, an independent personality, and thought he would respond well to the responsibility. It appears to have worked, as Clint Smith remembers Coulter as the best player on their very strong 1940 Cup winning team.
Gordie Howe was captain of the Detroit Red Wings from 1957-58 to 1961-62. Howe was named a playing assistant coach before the 1962-63 season and Alex Delvecchio became the team captain. The team made the Cup Finals in 1961 with Howe as captain.
Dang. Some ATD teams don't even have this level of captaincy. LOVE the historical analysis. Imagine if we all did this. Awe-some!
Henri Richard was captain of the Montreal Canadiens from 1971-72 to 1974-75. They won the Cup with him as captain in 1973. He was also an alternate captain (with Jean Beliveau as captain) for Stanley Cup wins in 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, and 1971.
You gotta give him an "A" as alternate captain. (There is no such thing as "assistant" captain, ignorant tv broadcasters be damned).
Darryl Sittler was captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1975-76 to midseason 1981-82, when he was traded to Philadelphia. He took the C off his jersey for part of the 1980 season after Lanny McDonald was traded, and left the team for a time in 1981, citing depression issues, after the team failed to trade him. He was to be named Flyers captain in 1984 but was traded to Detroit that very day. Dave Poulin was named captain instead.
Er,... depression... plus his awful skills presentation in the CBC TV competition makes me wonder... maybe pass on him at this tier of competition.
Dave Poulin was captain of the Philadephia Flyers from 1984-85 (only the second full NHL season for Poulin, who had a late NHL start after graduating from Notre Dame) to 1989-90, when he was traded to Boston. The Flyers reached the Stanley Cup Final twice in that time.
I hated the Flyers but would follow Poulin through a wall. As a WWII recruit I would have gone 10 pistols against a 100 machine guns if he was leading the way. Man, is there video on this guy to show how inspiring he was? I have never (from 2004-2018) drafted him in the ATDs but came very close twice and regretted it once for sure.

Scott Stevens was captain of the St. Louis Blues in 1990-91, and captain of the New Jersey Devils from 1992-93 to 2003-04. The Devils won the Cup in 1995, 2000, and 2003 with Stevens as captain.
Slam dunk captain. But I'm hugely biased as I've been a Caps fan since '82.

Joe Malone - Darryl Sittler - Gordie Howe
Paul Thompson - Henri Richard (A) - Theo Fleury
Brad Marchand - Neil Colville - Alexander Mogilny
Rusty Crawford - Dave Poulin (A) - Jack Darragh

Scott Stevens (C) - Larry Murphy
Babe Pratt - Art Coulter
Glen Harmon - Alex Pietrangelo

Vladislav Tretiak
Curtis Joseph

Your team's motto: Defense wins championships! (Yet Gordie gets the Conn Smythe.)​
But if you listen to dreakmur, I say nothing right. (unless he said something I missed.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad