ATD #11, René Lecavalier Quarterfinals. Glace Bay Miners (2) vs. Edmonton Oilers (7)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Glace Bay Miners

Head Coach: Herb Brooks

Vsevolod Bobrov-Elmer Lach-Bernard Geoffrion
George Hay-Joe Primeau-Dave Taylor
Marty Pavelich-Bob Pulford-Floyd Curry
Ab McDonald-Billy Burch-Bill Ezinicki
Eddie Oatman

Denis Potvin-Marcel Pronovost
Babe Siebert-William 'Flash' Hollett
Bill Barilko-Ed Van Impe
Bert Corbeau

Gump Worsley
Pelle Lindbergh

vs.

Edmonton Oilers

Coach: Don Cherry

Ted Lindsay -Steve Yzerman - Glenn Anderson
Wendal Clark - Dale Hunter - Mike Gartner
Fred Stanfield - Doug Jarvis - Ace Bailey
Tomas Holmstrom - Craig MacTavish - John McKenzie
Kirk Maltby - Tiger Williams

Rob Blake - Craig Hartsburg
Barclay Plager - Teppo Numminen
Mathieu Schneider - Ken Daneyko
Mattis Norstrom

Johnny Bower
Roger Crozier

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Good luck to Edmonton, I will post some thoughts in the morning on this one. Looking forward to a good series.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
With Cherry coaching and Lindsay, Hunter, and Clark on the team, does anyone else think this Oiler team looks like it's been put together by Murphy?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
At the end of the day, I think balance and depth will carry the day for Glace Bay here:

Forwards: I think I have a solid edge up front. The Oilers present a tough first line to match-up again, they're dangerous offensively and have a nasty streak to it with Ted Lindsey. That being said I like how my top line, with the Lach-Geoffrion combination matchs up with them offensively. Beyond that I think my bottom 9 forwards match up very well with Edmonton. Joe Primeau is an excellent two way player. He can contribute in his own end and has the distinction of helping Busher Jackson to a scoring title and Charlie Conacher to a goal title. Taylor provides grit, and Hay some offense to a dangerous 2nd line that in my opinion will be a very difficult match up for the Edmonton 2nd line. All solid players in their own right, but I'm not sure they have the talent to keep up with Top 6 forwards in the ATD, and more importantly I don't think the Edmonton 2nd line will wind up working as a unit. I also see an edge to my bottom 6, where grit, depth as well as solid two-way play match up well against Edmonton, who while talented doesn't seem to have the right fit on their lines. I'm a Fred Stanfield fan, but I'm not sure if he's a 3rd liner in this thing.

Defense: Another edge for Glace Bay. A forminable top pairing with Potvin and Pronovost has IMO a large edge on the Hartsburg/Blake duo. Pair by pair I like how my defense matches up with Edmonton. Hollett will be an offensive threat each time out, and Seibert won a Hart Trophy as a blue liner. I like my third pairing a lot, they bring everything IMO, solid defensive play with girt, and an offensive touch able to join the rush. In addition, I like the ability of my defense to contain Edmonton rather than vice versa. I don't know who on the Oilers defense stops Geoffrion, Lach, Primeau or Taylor, not to mention a 4th line capable of potting some offense as well.

Goaltending: If the Oilers pull off the series win, it will be on the back of Bower. He can be a difference maker, and knows how to win the big game. He's got an edge on Worsely to be sure, but the Gumper is no slouch either and IMO will do more than enough to keep Glace Bay in games. He won't have to be stopping a ton of shots a night behind what I believe is a solid defensive club, and can make the big save when need be.

As I said, I like my balance and depth. There may not be a "best in the draft" element of my team, but I don't feel there's a worst, or even close to it, element either. Glace Bay can excel at all elements of the game, and its this ability that will IMO carry them on to Round 2. Plus, we have Leaf Lander and his relatives no doubt cheering in the stands.

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007
first off good luck too TC, this should be a good one

When drafting this team I wanted to make it the other team didn't want to play against. I wanted a good, hard nosed team, one that Don Cherry would be proud of, thus, I drafted him as the coach. So I think he can get the most out of all the players on my team. My first line I think can stand up to pretty much anybody else's in this draft, and I think they will carry me to the series win. Steve Yzerman is a skilled play maker, and can find Glenn Anderson anywhere, and with Ten Lindsay knocking down the top checkers form the other team. My defense is probably the weakest part of my team. That does not mean there a weakness though. Rob Blake and Mathieu Schneider can carry the power play load for the whole playoff. I may not have the biggest defense corps, but they are gritty, and they will fight to the end. They will not give Glace Bay an easy goal. I think if I win this series, as TC already said, I will be carried by Johnny Bower. He was a steal at where I drafted him and I think he has a big advantage of Gump, no disrespect though.
Overall I think this will be a close series, that I believe will go the distance. I think we can give the Miners a run for there money. Again good luck TC

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Can Edmonton get production beyond their first line? Big question. I love the Oilers first line. It's one of my favourites in the draft. Skill, toughness, smarts, drive, character - they have it all in spades.

It's not that the Oilers don't have talent beyond the first line. They do. But it's miscast. There isn't a player cut out to be a second line centre. Fred Stanfield's probably the best. He played some centre in his career. But he's not a second line ATD centre. Dale Hunter's the best fourth line centre in the draft, but one season above a point-per-game, for a post-expansion player, is not good enough on the second line. The third line is confusing. It could be a good two-way line, but Gartner's there. It could be a good scoring line, but Jarvis is there. Poor Mike Gartner. He lacked a strong playmaking centre for most of his career, and he doesn't have one here. Jarvis is one of the best defensive centres in the draft, but he has zero track record in terms of scoring.

The Oilers are overmatched on the blue line. Certainly the top two defencemen (Potvin and Pronovost) are on Glace Bay, and one could make the case that Seibert is better than Blake, too. And I'd take Glace Bay's No. 4 (Hollett) ahead of Edmonton's No. 2.

An edge to Edmonton in net (I think Bower's one of the top 10 ever), and I'd even give them an edge behind the bench. (Although I do believe that Cherry needs a strategic assistant to be effective at this level). But are those advantages enough to overcome Glace Bay's significant advantages on the blue-line and in line assembly?

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think edmonton should switch bailey and gartner.

gartner was a sniper and should be on the 2nd line. i think bailey sometimes played a defensive role.

hunter is not an ideal 2nd C, but switching bailey and gartner allows the 3rd line to be a checking line.

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007
When I made the Stansfield - Jarvis - Gartner line, wanted to make a two way line, that was still a scoring threat. I drafted Jarvis, like I draft Gainey last year, to be my main pentaly killer, and to be the Third line center.

Though seeing all the critizum it is getting, I would like to take nik jr's advice, and move Bailey and Gartner, if I am still allowed to do that.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think that was a wise roster move. Still, it doesn't change the fact that Dale Hunter, a center who was never in the top-20 in goals or assists, is on a second line. Camper, I just wish you had a guy who could play center... anyone at all you could stick there with some offensive credibility so that you can make Hunter a 4th liner. He is one of the top-3 4th line centers out there. But your only other option is Yzerman and you can't use him for obvious reasons. Hunter is your 2nd best offensive center, and that hurts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Glace Bay Miners (2) vs. The Edmonton Oilers (7)

Game Results:

Glace Bay Miners: 7 - Edmonton Oilers: 3
Glace Bay Miners: 2 - Edmonton Oilers: 1 OT
Edmonton Oilers: 0 - Glace Bay Miners: 2
Edmonton Oilers: 5 - Glace Bay Miners: 2
Glace Bay Miners: 6 - Edmonton Oilers: 3

The Glace Bay Miners (2) defeats The Edmonton Oilers (7) in 5 games.

Series Three Stars

1: Denis Potvin - Glace Bay Miners
Co-2: Johnny Bower - Edmonton Oilers
Co-2: Ted Lindsay - Edmonton Oilers

Series Recap:

- Denis Potvin was nothing short of phenomenal all series. He shown to the world the tremendous package of a player he is. He was an offensive wizard, he thrown hit every time he could and was the best defensive player on the ice. He's the main reason the Oilers first offensive line of Lindsay-Yzerman-Anderson didn't had the success everyone thought they would.

- Terrible Ted was terrible all series long ... in a good way. The scrappy forward was the only player on the Oilers that intimidate both Potvin and Pronovost and was definitely the Oilers most potent offensive force.

- As much as Bernard Geoffrion played an amazing series, both of his linemate played poorly. The Bodrov-Lach duo didn't produce offensively and often rely on Geoffrion to do the dirty work. The second center of Glace Bay, Joe Primeau, played a better all-around game than Lach, with poorer linemate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad