At witch NHL players you compare Alex Bourret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boby

Oct 3, 2004
Last two years it was too-too train,next year possibility...boo-boo train.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I just see Bourret having 50-60 point offensive potential at the NHL level. He just seems to have decent vision with the puck, something that Tootoo just doesn't have. All Tootoo has is his slap shot, which has no accuracy what-so-ever. Bourret seems to be at least able to go to the net and put them in with a few moves in his arsenal as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Reveille! said:
I just see Bourret having 50-60 point offensive potential at the NHL level. He just seems to have decent vision with the puck, something that Tootoo just doesn't have. All Tootoo has is his slap shot, which has no accuracy what-so-ever. Bourret seems to be at least able to go to the net and put them in with a few moves in his arsenal as well.
QMJHL is higher scoring then the WHL

Jordin Tootoo was a higher scorer Points wise then Alex Bourret in the CHL

Eric Fehr is to Jordin Tootoo that Alex Picard is to Alex Bourrett in the CHL

Only the future will tell if you are right ... but currently the stats do not support your opinion

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=55361

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Messenger said:
QMJHL is higher scoring then the WHL

Jordin Tootoo was a higher scorer Points wise then Alex Bourret in the CHL

Eric Fehr is to Jordin Tootoo that Alex Picard is to Alex Bourrett in the CHL

Only the future will tell if you are right ... but currently the stats do not support your opinion

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=55361

Wow. Awesome Junior stats. Why would you bring JUNIOR stats into an argument about pro potential? And just FYI, QMJHL scoring has decreased a lot over the last few years. Tootoo just does NOT have the pro potential to put up more than 30-40 points a season, and that is if he's somehow on the top 2 lines (which he won't be).
Bourrett can pass and shoot and at least has accuracy on both. We have different opinions, obviously, but Tootoo has hands of stone so far while Bourrett has shown me that he has decent offensive vision. Offensively, I think he's good for a 60 point season on a second line while banging the **** out of the other team. Tootoo looks like a 3rd liner at BEST and can't even produce at the AHL level so far.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

CH Wizard

Darcy Tucker.

BTW SKILL WISE :

Bourret >> Tootoo.Bourret vision is so astonishing.Great skater who can hit and make flashy moves.I think , I saw Bourret play like 6 times so far.Him and Picard are so great to watch play with Lewiston.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Reveille! said:
Wow. Awesome Junior stats. Why would you bring JUNIOR stats into an argument about pro potential? And just FYI, QMJHL scoring has decreased a lot over the last few years. Tootoo just does NOT have the pro potential to put up more than 30-40 points a season, and that is if he's somehow on the top 2 lines (which he won't be).
Bourrett can pass and shoot and at least has accuracy on both. We have different opinions, obviously, but Tootoo has hands of stone so far while Bourrett has shown me that he has decent offensive vision.

Offensively, I think he's good for a 60 point season on a second line while banging the **** out of the other team. Tootoo looks like a 3rd liner at BEST and can't even produce at the AHL level so far.
Based on last years NHL stats

EDIT : Fixed Link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/Statistics.asp?season=2004

That would put him in some pretty good company ..

Martin Havlat 68 points
Pavel Datsyuk 68 points
Shane Doan 68 points
Vincent Lecavalier 66 points

or how about Brendan Morrison centering Naslund and Bertuzzi ... 60 points .. as the cut off for 60 point NHL players

In fact and this might surprise you ... only 34 players in the whole NHL last season managed to get 60 points

This is also in a non Cap world that by spreading out the talent would only logically decrease offensive numbers in the future by limiting top end talent per team ..

Perhaps you are shooting a bit high??

Considering professional talent scouts and evaluators currently have Bourret at #19 on the recent CSB list for North AMERICAN skaters alone..

Last edited:

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
no, he's not... Bourret is very strong, has nice hands, he's quick, he's an awesome playmaker and he has a wicked wrist shot.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
CSB's ratings are way off. We're talking about an organization that had Gilbert Brule (second best player available in the next draft by a mile) at No. 6.

Bourret, based on build and skill, reminds me a lot of Andrei Kovalenko, although with a little more talent. Kovalenko was known as the Russian tank, because he was 5'11", 216, and Bourret has similar size. Kovalenko has a three-time 50-point player, and had a few seasons in the 30s. But I think Bourret has a little more skill, and could exceed 70 points.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
God Bless Canada said:
CSB's ratings are way off. We're talking about an organization that had Gilbert Brule (second best player available in the next draft by a mile) at No. 6.

Bourret, based on build and skill, reminds me a lot of Andrei Kovalenko, although with a little more talent. Kovalenko was known as the Russian tank, because he was 5'11", 216, and Bourret has similar size. Kovalenko has a three-time 50-point player, and had a few seasons in the 30s. But I think Bourret has a little more skill, and could exceed 70 points.

That's true but so many people think of the bad Kovalenko. Everyone forgot the good Kovalenko.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The Messenger said:
Tootoo record

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=50703

Bourret record

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=70696

How so ??

What is Bourret doing in Junior that Tootoo did not do offensively ??
You can only use Tootoo's first 2 years to be a same age comparison.
Bourret is in top 5 of scoring in his 17/18 year while Tootoo was only 48pts.
which I doubt put him anywhere in the top 40. NOT THAT I AGREE WITH
USING SIMPLE STATISTICS BUT REALLY BY THE PRICIPLE OF YOUR STATEMENT
THE FACTS WEIGH IN BOURRETS FAVOUR.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
pei fan said:
Stats really do not mean anything directly, particulary in different leagues under different conditions and different linemates and coaches and systems ...

I just tossed them out there because I believe they play similar styles and that the comparison on junior careers ...

People from the east that didn't get to see Tootoo play are quick to say he had no hands .. yet you dont score 35 goals in 51 games in 2002-03 .. or 32 goals in 64 games ... That is based on lack of viewing a player as a WHL . Those are pretty decent numbers that even if we compare junior careers only based on them that they will make Bourret work pretty hard in the next seasons to equal that mark. Throw in 200+ PM's each season and an WJC representation and that is a pretty solid Junior career

The only reason you guys don't like the comparison is because of the way Tootoo career has gone so far .. but that has no impact on what Bourret will do .. NOTHING .. because juniour stats mean nothing when deciding what kind of NHL career you have .. In fact is also just as likely that Bourret never plays in the NHL ..

Professional scouts have him ranked at #19 in North America currently .. Throw in the Euros and the goalies and the may not even make him a 1st or 2nd round pick in the up coming draft ...

He is ranked down there for a reason .. and he is far from what people would consider a sure fire prospect .. He did leave a lasting impression from his strong Prospect game performance which can only help his draft ranking ..but his future that is up to Alex as to whether he gets an opportunity..

What you saw from Bourret in the prospects game is how Tootoo also plays every shift as well be it in the WHL or the WJC or the AHL ..

Last edited:

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
A Francophone Darcy Tucker.

After I saw the hit he made on Bobby Ryan, he is clearly a Darcy Tucker clone to me. He is more skilled than your average headhunter in guys like Steve Moore but he doesn't have as much impact as bonafide headhunters like Scott Stevens.

He is a Darcy Tucker who will make great hits and still score 40 points a season.

I would also compare him to Mike Peca. He is a great hitter and has the potential to score 40 points a season.

I don't think Bourret will score 60 points unless he plays on the first line and judging from the his game, I think he will max out as a top 6 second liner. But a great second-liner like Tucker. Someone who will make physical plays to inject momentum into his team, but would also make an offensive play with similar ease.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Jovanovski = Norris said:
A Francophone Darcy Tucker.

After I saw the hit he made on Bobby Ryan, he is clearly a Darcy Tucker clone to me. He is more skilled than your average headhunter in guys like Steve Moore but he doesn't have as much impact as bonafide headhunters like Scott Stevens.

He is a Darcy Tucker who will make great hits and still score 40 points a season.

I would also compare him to Mike Peca. He is a great hitter and has the potential to score 40 points a season.

I don't think Bourret will score 60 points unless he plays on the first line and judging from the his game, I think he will max out as a top 6 second liner. But a great second-liner like Tucker. Someone who will make physical plays to inject momentum into his team, but would also make an offensive play with similar ease.

And I also think he will have a short career. Maybe a 12 year career with him calling it quits at around 33. Players who play like him won't have a long career and he'll maybe only put up 400 in his entire career. Not only will he have to deal with injuries, he'll likely make many enemies in the NHL based on his play. He's already got a bunch of Owen Sound Attack players (if they ever make the NHL), Bobby Ryan, etc... And if Bobby Ryan gets drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers, he's going to have more trouble on his hands. He's a sturdy guy at 5'10'' 214 pounds but I think he has already maxed out his width and weight potential so what you see is what you are going to get.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
pei fan said:
Just for fun if we are playing with Stats ..

Jordin Tootoo last WHL season .. 51 games ..35 goals .. 39 assists .. 74 points .216 PMS

and then comparing those totals to the scoring leaders from the Q from the 20-03 Season which include Crosby and his high scoring linemate Roussin

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/leaders/qmjhl19702004.html

You will see that Tootoo 35 goals is 1 below the top 10 of the Q and don't forget he only played in 51 of the 72 league games (missed 21 games due to injury, WJC, and suspension) .. His feistyness and PM's would put him top 8..

I think it would be reasonalble to believe that if he could produce his results in the WHL that he could have similar success in the Q ..

That gives you the kind of impact Bourret will need to have for example in his Junior career compared to Tootoo's record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad