At what point is it time for a rebuild?

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
We celebrated a Stanley Cup in 2014, but it's been futility ever since. We may have made it back to the playoffs this year but it isn't looking promising. If the Kings lose in the first round again is it time to start over? I would love to see Kopitar and Quick retire as Kings, but ultimately the success of the franchise comes first.

Do some people here think that the reinforcements from the pipeline might rejuvenate the Kings? In the next 2-3 years guys like Amadio, Brodz, and Vilardi could be full-time NHLers, with the possibility that JAD and Kyle Clague could be ready too. But by then Kopitar will be 33, Quick will be 35, Carter will be 36, and who knows if Drew will even resign after his contract.

And then there is the issue of the salary cap. As of right now (according to cap friendly Los Angeles Kings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) they have 2.9 million in cap space, and they have a few guys coming off the books via UFA or RFA (Tobias Rieder RFA, Torey Mitchell UFA, Fantenburg and Ladue RFA's, and Folin and Gravel UFA's). Do you think this would leave us with enough cap room to sing a few players that could actually be difference makers? Tavares would be amazing, but it's a pipe dream. And it also almost guarantees that Doughty wouldn't be resigned.

So what do you think? How long should they wait until they blow it all up and start over? Or in Rob Blake do we trust?

Reactions: King Trouty

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't know if it's rebuilding, but they need better players in many different positions, particularly at wing. Defense could use help too.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Everything hinges on what Doughty does this summer. If he won't sign a new contract in July, I wouldn't screw around with it if I was Blake.

This is a situation Blake should know very well. He has been in Doughty's shoes. He knows all of Doughty's representatives. Doughty will not be allowed to walk for nothing. If Blake can't get him signed the signal for a rebuild is obvious.

I am still not convinced being a top heavy roster is the way forward in today's NHL though. Blake should consider that as well.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Everything hinges on what Doughty does this summer. If he won't sign a new contract in July, I wouldn't screw around with it if I was Blake.

This is a situation Blake should know very well. He has been in Doughty's shoes. He knows all of Doughty's representatives. Doughty will not be allowed to walk for nothing. If Blake can't get him signed the signal for a rebuild is obvious.

I am still not convinced being a top heavy roster is the way forward in today's NHL though. Blake should consider that as well.

Agree with not being top heavy, but...man, trading Doughty in his prime....I get it, if he won't sign he won't sign, but that's a helluva thing to do, and realistically what would you get for him, I could care less if he has one day or one year left,

I think you need a good 3-4 solid solid solid pieces back,

Reactions: yankeeking

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What do Kings fans think Doughty's next contract will be?

Are we talking McDavid money?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
he's gonna want more than kopi and yeah, 8/88 seems like the logical step

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Boston drafted Pastrnak 25th over all. Debrusk 14th, McAvoy 14th, Carlo in the 2nd round, Donato in the 2nd, Heinen in the 4th round. Kevan Miller, and Tory Krug were college free agents. 3rd round draft pick Brad Marchand could have scored 40 goals this season if he didn't get injured and suspended. None of these guys are top 10 picks. Boston has a great scouting staff, plus they hold onto their draft picks.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Honestly, the team is pretty locked in.

I would trade Pearson or Toffoli this off-season. Possibly both. They are what they are.

Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Carter
Pearson Amadio Brodzinski
Clifford Thompson Lewis
Andreoff

Muzzin Doughty
Amart Phanuef
Brickley LaDue
????

Trade:
Toffoli/Pearson or both (Faulk)

UFA walkers:
Folin
Fantenberg
Gravel
Rieder
Mitchell

Camp surprises?
JAD
Rempal
Clague

Last edited:

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Agree with not being top heavy, but...man, trading Doughty in his prime....I get it, if he won't sign he won't sign, but that's a helluva thing to do, and realistically what would you get for him, I could care less if he has one day or one year left,

I think you need a good 3-4 solid solid solid pieces back,
Not just solid, solid, solid but 2 of those 3-4 better be all-star level players.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Honestly, the team is pretty locked in.

I would trade Pearson or Toffoli this off-season. Possibly both. They are what they are.

Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Carter
Pearson Amadio Brodzinski
Clifford Thompson Lewis
Andreoff

Muzzin Doughty
Amart Phanuef
Brickley LaDue
????

Trade:
Toffoli/Pearson or both (Faulk)

UFA walkers:
Folin
Fantenberg
Gravel
Rieder
Mitchell

Camp surprises?
JAD
Reumpel
Clague

If Iaffalo is your 1LW , Amadio your 3C and Brodzinski anywhere in the lineup when he is a dime a dozen player than this team would be even more pathetic next year .

Reactions: kenito7
Jun 30, 2006
Time to blow it up.

The core can’t carry this team, they just don’t have IT anymore. I’d look into moving one of Quick, Doughty, or Kopitar for a significant return this offseason.

But Brown, Carter, Toffoli definitely need to be shipped out.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Stone, Kane and JVR all free agents under 30. Still lot of upside. If Blake can pull off a package deal for a winger and sign a winger in free agency the Kings are in business. If you want cheap and short term I still believe Vanek could be very good with Kopitar.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Stone will be a RFA, and more than likely, the Kings won't be able to sign any of the top, prized UFAs.

Dammit, I was looking on my phone. Vanek and Kane is possible as are trades to free up space or bring back a winger. Clifford and Thompson make 3.25 mil combined next season, you cannot have 2 of those types of player on the roster making that much money. Clifford should pack his bags.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Doughty and Rieder’s rights to Toronto for Zaitsev and Marner. Somewhat realistic.

Sign Tavares (thanks to Blake’s former player pixie dust and Luc’s snakeoil salesman routine). Probably fantasy.

Carter, Toffoli and a pick to Carolina for Faulk and Lindholm. Somewhat realistic, but hinges on the above fantasy.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Pearson Tavares Marner
Kempe Vilardi Lindholm
Thompson Amadio Lewis
Clifford

Muzzin Faulk
Martinez Zaitsev
Brinkley Phaneuf
Forbort LaDue

Not terrible. Blueline depth is decent and the forward corps gets the huge makeover it needs. Eases the cap situation for a couple years as well, 2019 isnt our doomsday anymore after moving Doughty.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I want some players that play with emotion and heart. Looking back we had some of the best back in 2012-14.

Mike Richards, Jarret Stoll, Willie Mitchell, Matt Greene, Just Williams, etc. You knew what you were gonna get every night from em, they gave it all every game.

Now we're stuck with Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe, Iafallo where you really have no idea what they'll bring to the table. I feel like the only players on this team that plays with emotion are Doughty, Quick, Clifford, and Folin.

Jun 30, 2006
Doughty and Rieder’s rights to Toronto for Zaitsev and Marner. Somewhat realistic.

Sign Tavares (thanks to Blake’s former player pixie dust and Luc’s snakeoil salesman routine). Probably fantasy.

Carter, Toffoli and a pick to Carolina for Faulk and Lindholm. Somewhat realistic, but hinges on the above fantasy.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Pearson Tavares Marner
Kempe Vilardi Lindholm
Thompson Amadio Lewis
Clifford

Muzzin Faulk
Martinez Zaitsev
Brinkley Phaneuf
Forbort LaDue

Not terrible. Blueline depth is decent and the forward corps gets the huge makeover it needs. Eases the cap situation for a couple years as well, 2019 isnt our doomsday anymore after moving Doughty.

Not bad but Luc and Co. arent blowing this team up. They’ll continue to milk the cup years, we are still seeing commercials put out by the Kings as if we won the cup a year ago.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
We made the playoffs this year without our second-line center and y’all want to blow it up?

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I want some players that play with emotion and heart. Looking back we had some of the best back in 2012-14.

Mike Richards, Jarret Stoll, Willie Mitchell, Matt Greene, Just Williams, etc. You knew what you were gonna get every night from em, they gave it all every game.

Now we're stuck with Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe, Iafallo where you really have no idea what they'll bring to the table. I feel like the only players on this team that plays with emotion are Doughty, Quick, Clifford, and Folin.

Eh I wouldn't put Kempe in that group, he's been playing his heart out so far imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad