At what point does creativity become selfishness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Kessel has undressed numerous opposing players with very similar moves, and at the same time I have seen him give it up on numerous attempts of similar moves. At what point do these one on one moves become selfish "look at what i can do" type plays? Or as long as hes contributing and successful with the move once in a while does it not matter how many times he is unsuccessful? AND HOW MANY TIMES CAN A DEFENSEMEN LET HIM SLIP BY! WHEN WILL SOMEONE FINNALLY GET THE MESSAGE AND SLAM THE KID DOWN TO THE ICE WHEN HE TRIES TO STEP PAST!?!? (i think i recall it happening once infact vs. sweden).

Also is there such a thing as shooting too much? As a huge Rob Schremp fan is it a bad thing to fire it at the net even when it is quite clear it's not really a "scoring chance" He has a heck of a shot but is shooting it at the goalies chest as soon as he gains the zone "the wrong thing to do" as opposed to dumping it into the corner? There's really no right or wrong answer, I would just like some opinions!

It's too bad the Hensick goal was so unconsequential at such a meaningless time of the game, because if the goal had meant somehting Rob Schremps move would have raised an eyebrow or two...instead it is going pretty much unnoticed due to the time/score!

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
One of the commentators last night on ESPN said that the coach had asked Schremp to shoot more. I would tend to believe that based on the number of shots he took in this game. I was wondering if anyone noticed the set up to Hensick. Did you also notice Hensicks reaction, he knew it was a meaningless goal and seemed almost disgusted.

As far as Kessel he reminds me of Kariya. He does everything at top speed. He scares me in that he is almost reckless with his body. Kind of like watching the X-Games. I pray he never suffers a bad injury from it. Most kids are fearless this way, especially at his age. I don't think it has anything to do with being selfish.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
JNRhockeyGURU said:
It's too bad the Hensick goal was so unconsequential at such a meaningless time of the game, because if the goal had meant somehting Rob Schremps move would have raised an eyebrow or two...instead it is going pretty much unnoticed due to the time/score!
That was an amazing display of stickhandling and passing by Schremp right at the end. I wish we weren't pouring it on at that point, though.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Kaiped Krusader said:
That was an amazing display of stickhandling and passing by Schremp right at the end. I wish we weren't pouring it on at that point, though.

I realy havent got to watch the entire thing, more focused on bourque's play since I never got the chance to him...is schremp playing as advertised?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
As ****** as team USA has been playing, it was about damn time someone stepped up and started playing "selfish". Thats what is so great about Kessel. He just turned 17 and he has basically become the one looked up to for scoring. He scored 3 goals, should have scored 4 goals... and ignited, was the impetus, was the reason, for USA winning. Way to go Phil!

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
BMWM3owner said:
I realy havent got to watch the entire thing, more focused on bourque's play since I never got the chance to him...is schremp playing as advertised?

Robbies ice time has been on the rise. I have seen him cover for pinching defensemen and other 2way plays. His shot is excellant.

He does need to work some more on his skating, the first burst. He still has that churning start with the little hop. Was cute when he was a squirt but I was actually surprised that it hasn't gone away since he's been in the OHL. Don't get me wrong, he's a fair skater once he gets going.

I'd say this is an area he could still improve through training. He could continue to improve and as one person suggested be a Brett Hull type sniper. Just needs to be a bit smoother skater and conserve his energy. The Hunter's seem to have done a good job of showing him the defensive end of his responsibilities. Hope he keeps improving here too.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
JNRhockeyGURU said:
Kessel has undressed numerous opposing players with very similar moves, and at the same time I have seen him give it up on numerous attempts of similar moves. At what point do these one on one moves become selfish "look at what i can do" type plays? Or as long as hes contributing and successful with the move once in a while does it not matter how many times he is unsuccessful? AND HOW MANY TIMES CAN A DEFENSEMEN LET HIM SLIP BY! WHEN WILL SOMEONE FINNALLY GET THE MESSAGE AND SLAM THE KID DOWN TO THE ICE WHEN HE TRIES TO STEP PAST!?!? (i think i recall it happening once infact vs. sweden).

Also is there such a thing as shooting too much? As a huge Rob Schremp fan is it a bad thing to fire it at the net even when it is quite clear it's not really a "scoring chance" He has a heck of a shot but is shooting it at the goalies chest as soon as he gains the zone "the wrong thing to do" as opposed to dumping it into the corner? There's really no right or wrong answer, I would just like some opinions!

I asked myself that very question in watching the US - Sweden game, but at the same time, the way the US has played I think they needed a spark, and there are only 2-3 guys on that team that are capable of creating one. This was obviously a must win game, but they also had to prove to themselves that they could dominate a weaker team, and that was in doubt until Kessel made it 4-2. I think the skill guys who can make things happen should be allowed to do just that if the team needs it. Just like a fight at just the right time can wake a team up, so too can a solo rush that turns into a scoring play. As a coach, you want to keep things under wraps to a degree, as you can't have Kessel trying to do that every time he gets the puck in the neutral zone. It wouldn't always work and more often then most he would end up be taken out by the opposing defenceman.

On the play you are talking about where Kessel got slammed down, it should have been a roughing or interference call. The puck had slid into the corner and Kessel was trying to get aroung the D at the time. Did I mention how bad I thought the refereeing was yesterday in both quarter final games? ATTROCIOUS!!!

I also agree with you on the Hesick goal. What a play by one of the most skilled guys in the tournament. Yes the goal meant nothing, but the point is it happened during a game. That is the sort of stuff that guys try in practice, and yet Schremp who is so smooth and confident makes that play in traffic with 2 Swedes around him, and throws everyone for a loop, what a play. If that was a more meaningful goal that would be right up there for play of the tournament, although there have been some absolutely stunning goals scored and plays made thus far.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
We must have watched the same game. Kessel was dragged down after the defensemen used body position to cause him to lose the puck. He was not body slammed as some have suggested. Good old fashioned hog tying. Easily could have been a penalty. The Russian ref was letting them play most of the game.

Schremp's play to Hensick was great, even the homers on ESPN didn't give him enough credit for it. The two Swedes on him looked silly. I hope they don't cut his ice time against Russia, this will probably be my last chance to see him play until next year.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Creativity becomes selfishness when that creativity stops leading to scoring chances.

espo*

Balej's Dance said:
As ****** as team USA has been playing, it was about damn time someone stepped up and started playing "selfish". Thats what is so great about Kessel. He just turned 17 and he has basically become the one looked up to for scoring. He scored 3 goals, should have scored 4 goals... and ignited, was the impetus, was the reason, for USA winning. Way to go Phil!
Bang on....someone has to take the bull by the horns and he did it...maybe with a team playing hotter he would'nt have to but i bet every one on that team and the coaches are damn glad he did it and has been doing it.....right now he's their most important player.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Chaos said:
Creativity becomes selfishness when that creativity stops leading to scoring chances.

:handclap:

Right on. Hockey is about percentages and knowing when to move the puck, and when keeping it is the best play available. When it works, you are a hero with unreal stick skills. When it doesn't, you are a selfish goat.

Worked for Kessell yesterday.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Kessel is a HUGE puckhog. I've been embarrassed to say he's a US player, because he obviously doesn't know how to pass the puck to players FAR more open than he is, and it's hurting the team. Sandelin has to take him aside and tell him he's benched if he doesn't start helping the team ALL of the time.

joejohnstone

Jan 2, 2005
jiggs 10 said:
Kessel is a HUGE puckhog. I've been embarrassed to say he's a US player, because he obviously doesn't know how to pass the puck to players FAR more open than he is, and it's hurting the team. Sandelin has to take him aside and tell him he's benched if he doesn't start helping the team ALL of the time.

Everyone excuse jiggs, he smoked some bad crack

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:

I don't know if you have been watching the games, but Kessel has two assists and could have more, as he's set up some pretty sweet chances.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
jiggs 10 said:
If it wasn't for Kessel we would all be harping on what a sad state of affairs the USA hockey program is in. He is the one and only reason the US is still alive in this tourney, so make sure not to bite the hand that feeds you. If he was less selfish, the US would be thinking about where it all went wrong in Grand Forks in 2005, instead they are preparing to play the Russians in the semis. If he doesn't at all and wastes good scoring chances time and time again, I would see your point, but clearly he has converted on most of his chances, and might I point out, he creates most of those chances out of nothing!

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Puckhead said:
If it wasn't for Kessel we would all be harping on what a sad state of affairs the USA hockey program is in. He is the one and only reason the US is still alive in this tourney, so make sure not to bite the hand that feeds you. If he was less selfish, the US would be thinking about where it all went wrong in Grand Forks in 2005, instead they are preparing to play the Russians in the semis. If he doesn't at all and wastes good scoring chances time and time again, I would see your point, but clearly he has converted on most of his chances, and might I point out, he creates most of those chances out of nothing!

Having seen all of the USA games in person, I totally disagree with you. He COULD HAVE created 15 scoring chances in the last 2 games HAD HE PASSED THE PUCK TO SOMEONE, but he refuses to, and has caused offsides, icings, non-scoring chances, and obvious bad feelings among his teammates (which you can see in person only). One good goal does not make him a team player. O'Sullivan is twice the TEAM player Kessel is, and had Kessel made a few simple plays against Belerus, the US would have at least had a chance to tie the game, instead of losing by a score of 5-3. Team USA would be in fine shape without Mr. Puckhog. But with him, they are in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad