OT: At The Rink "New Jersey Devils Edition" - All Things Related To Playing Hockey

FITLTID

Nov 2, 2007
Anyone?

Season starts Sunday. It's a D league so nothing crazy, preferable if you've skated before (but not required...we need bodies)

whats the name of your team? My team just went over there from bridgewater bout a year ago.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Late open sessions on the cheap... 10:30 PM at The Rock in Dunellen, and it's only $10.

I think it's Mon/Tues/Wed. I'm going to try to go on Tuesdays pretty regularly if anyone else is interested.

Semak

Late open sessions on the cheap... 10:30 PM at The Rock in Dunellen, and it's only $10.

I think it's Mon/Tues/Wed. I'm going to try to go on Tuesdays pretty regularly if anyone else is interested.

I'll be in NJ next week. If I got the energy I'll hit Floyd in the mornings and perhaps The Rock in the evenings. How's the goalie turnout there?

Semak

Bump.

Come on folks. Enough talking about hockey and let's go out and play.

Union, Floyd, whatever.

Also, anyone got the 411 on any open/pick-up roller in Northern NJ?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've been at the roller rink in Leonardo(Middletown) almost daily. Most of my squad has bailed due to heat, but eff it, just me and the cones is better then a treadmill.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Just FYI - Pure Hockey in Fairfield is having a 20% off tent sale Aug 3-12.

Anyone up for the open tomorrow night at Union at 10:45?

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
You know what?

To hell with this. Inline hockey goalie it is. Never skated before, but I want.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
11:10pm - 12:40am at Floyd Hall Arena.. Pretty damn late but it could be the only option

Appreciate the quick answer. Sadly I can't go that late, and Floyd is about 40 minutes away. I've got to leave around 9AM tomorrow and need to try to make up some sleep. I'd be willint go to Floyd if it was like a 10PM start time.

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway
Appreciate the quick answer. Sadly I can't go that late, and Floyd is about 40 minutes away. I've got to leave around 9AM tomorrow and need to try to make up some sleep. I'd be willint go to Floyd if it was like a 10PM start time.

Hackensack used to have good skates at like 9 ish.. but they stopped having open for some reason. Did you look at Skylands? they usually have it at a decent time

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There is one in Long Branch by the Beach on Ocean Ave I think.

Correction: it is off Ocean Blvd on Atlantic Ave

Totally hammered by Sandy. Last saw it just b4 christmas, gonzo.

Does anyone know of any outdoor roller rinks in the Freehold, Long Branch area? Looking to play with a couple people down there. Thanks.

Couple in Middletown, Normandy park and Kunkel park. I play at the latter. Place had been dead for awhile, but we've gotten it going a bit over the last year. Normandy is in better shape and gets more skaters consistently.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hockey Gear

So I've recently been buying some gear from hockeytron.com

They seem to have a standing 30% off deal going, and there prices do not appear to be marked up. And over the past week or two they've had some sweet one day deals going. 50% off skates, gloves, bags, etc.

Today they have a 50% off composite sticks sale. I've never spent over $60 on a stick, and was wondering if there is indeed a big difference between say a $60 stick and a $120 stick or a $120 and $200 stick. What do yall think about that?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm about to throw a hand grenade into a narrow hallway, but.......

in terms of the "new sticks" (which arent so new anymore) many recreational players are now playing with expensive technology that they're getting absolutely zero benefit from versus much cheaper stuff.

The average beer leaguer or youth player cant generate the speed and torque on the stick like an NHL player or NCAA DI or OHL player etc.... (i.e. elite players) can to take advantage of the technology in the stick. I don't think this is commonly known, and Easton and Warrior etc.. aren't exactly going to make a public service announcement telling people. What it really boils down to is people want to play with and be seen with the "same" stick that Patrick Sharp or Steven Stamkos use, which is why stick companies pay them thousands of dollars in endorsement contracts to use their sticks.

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway
So I've recently been buying some gear from hockeytron.com

They seem to have a standing 30% off deal going, and there prices do not appear to be marked up. And over the past week or two they've had some sweet one day deals going. 50% off skates, gloves, bags, etc.

Today they have a 50% off composite sticks sale. I've never spent over $60 on a stick, and was wondering if there is indeed a big difference between say a $60 stick and a $120 stick or a $120 and $200 stick. What do yall think about that?

there is a thread about everything dealing with playing hockey where we have discussed this before, but for the most part yes. weight of the stick is a lot lower the more high end the stick. the technology between the price ranges is also big enough to notice a difference in your own shot. 2 pieces of equipment i feel you shouldnt go cheap on are skates and sticks.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
yeah I have no problem admitting I'm a beer leaguer. A roller league at that (Going to hop in at the new Middletown ice rink soon), and more often play pick up games on an outdoor surface, and thus typically use a stick that cost about $25.

So u think there is no real advantage to better sticks? I know I have not felt much difference in the $60 composite stick that I have been using indoors. Though I was not sure if I just need to get the feel for it(first year in the league).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
there is a thread about everything dealing with playing hockey where we have discussed this before, but for the most part yes. weight of the stick is a lot lower the more high end the stick. the technology between the price ranges is also big enough to notice a difference in your own shot. 2 pieces of equipment i feel you shouldnt go cheap on are skates and sticks.

I was looking for that thread, couldn't find it, so started fresh.

I did start with cheapo skates, blew them out in a year and recently upgraded. Huge difference though part of that was the cheapo's had lost all integrity and were providing no support.

Have liked, and will continue to use wood shaft-composite blade sticks on the outdoor surface, but am interested in upgrading for competitive play.

Being as how the sticks are 50% off, what level stick would u recommend?

Again, I'm intermediate level beer league.

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway

in terms of the "new sticks" (which arent so new anymore) many recreational players are now playing with expensive technology that they're getting absolutely zero benefit from versus much cheaper stuff.

The average beer leaguer or youth player cant generate the speed and torque on the stick like an NHL player or NCAA DI or OHL player etc.... (i.e. elite players) can to take advantage of the technology in the stick. I don't think this is commonly known, and Easton and Warrior etc.. aren't exactly going to make a public service announcement telling people. What it really boils down to is people want to play with and be seen with the "same" stick that Patrick Sharp or Steven Stamkos use, which is why stick companies pay them thousands of dollars in endorsement contracts to use their sticks.
I semi agree with this though, again discussed in that threat long ago, unless you have been playing a while and have good shooting mechanics, your not going to get the most out of a top end stick. It's your money and buy what you want. But I will always recommend a mid range stick over a cheapest option any day. the couple hundred grams in weight is a huge difference .

a small break down i figured i would throw out there

Cheapest ( $40-$80) - very very little to no technology (kickpoint, taper, special grip patterns, strength reinforcement), Heaviest sticks out there. Mainly replaces the wooden stick

mid range ($100 - $175) - some tech (mostly has a decent kick point, some kind of reinforcement), not too heavy but not the lightest. easily half the weight of the cheapest option which makes a big difference.

High end ($200-$250) - All kinds of tech. lightest option available

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway
I was looking for that thread, couldn't find it, so started fresh.

I did start with cheapo skates, blew them out in a year and recently upgraded. Huge difference though part of that was the cheapo's had lost all integrity and were providing no support.

Have liked, and will continue to use wood shaft-composite blade sticks on the outdoor surface, but am interested in upgrading for competitive play.

Being as how the sticks are 50% off, what level stick would u recommend?

Again, I'm intermediate level beer league.

What ever you want to spend your money on! lol We were just saying, if your not going to get everything out of the stick, why spend the extra money on it lol. I would probably recommend going mid range since you get at least the benefit of a lighter stick and some technology. But if the sale is that big, you can go high end for cheap. Pure hockey tent sale is this weekend, Im heading out to it in a bit, 25-75 % of everything in the store so a new stick is in my grasps

edit : and just like that we are in the old thread lol.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

1000% this.

Also, another factor people don't think about is the flex. They always want to macho and use the highest without realizing that's not the right answer. Guys like Ovechkin are out there with 60-70 Flex, of course they break a lot because they give so much, but you see what I mean.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH

I would say yes and no. This year I finally bought a proper non entry or near entry level stick and the difference due to weight is quite substantial, however you are correct, a rec player does not need the top of the line as that tech will be wasted on them. A mid line stick should give you the advantage of not breaking the bank while still giving you things that will improve your game.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
TBH I would never spend $200+ on a high end new stick. But there are definitely differences between lower and higher end sticks. I bought a cheap Bauer X15 for like $50-60 bucks a while back and it's pretty sub-par. I was able to find a brand new Easton S19 off ebay for $100 and its pretty amazing.

In the end though I'd say it's about personal preference. I've tried using Bauer sticks, but they just don't perform as well as the Eastons I've had.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
1000% this.

Also, another factor people don't think about is the flex. They always want to macho and use the highest without realizing that's not the right answer. Guys like Ovechkin are out there with 60-70 Flex, of course they break a lot because they give so much, but you see what I mean.

85 flex for the win - durable enough, flexible enough to focus on that wrister and still help the slapper the odd time or two I can manage to get it off.

And aside from weight - I agree nothing much to gain with the super expensive "pro" models. You can get a really light weight stick at that midpoint range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad