At the break - A poll: Do the Jackets make the playoffs

Will the Jackets make the playoffs?

• Total voters

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah I normally like to do the here we go again stuff too but I feel like if I don't fight against that attitude and constantly point out the negative and wrong stuff (stuff that is said out of frustration about a player or coach just because 1 game) then it's like just reading a pens GDT when they are playing us. Trust me I have asshole family so I get the I'm allowed to shit on them not you because they may suck now but they are my people thing but when we as a board are one of the smaller communities here and it's nothing but negative even though we are in 2nd it's just no fun to be a fan and post and I lurked here since the year Milano was drafted and always wanted to participate here because I don't have friends or family that like hockey to discuss it with I have you guys. So when you guys make it no fun and the teams losing its like why even bother watching or posting you know?

I just want it so we can discuss the negative shit but not only focus on that because there is so.much good about the team right now that people seem blind too because the cold streak.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Of course you do, but that doesn't make it so.
With respect to the players he isn't high on, it is so. Very so.

Anyone who can't see the fall off in play of Dubinsky, Foligno, JJ, and Savard is either blind or their ability to deal with reality wrt the CBJ isn't very good.

The team is 16-14-3 since the 9-4 start. That's an 86 points per 82 games pace. They've average around 2.2 goals per game in regulation in that very significant 33 game stretch. That's not playoff caliber play. That's reality.

Viewing the last 33 games (or really their play since "the streak" ended a year ago) as an aberration is an exercise in fantasy. Sort of like the Bengals owner thinking that Marvin Lewis is going to bring the Bengals to the promised land. Well, not that bad, but it's getting to be in the same area code.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If translated into a a full 82 game season, on current pace the following forwards will end the year with single digit goal counts: Jenner, Dubi, Calvert, Beerman, and Sedlak. Wennberg would hit double digits reaching 10. I've left out the Monster support, but you could add Motte and Schroeder if you care......in summary, not a recipe for a a high performing team.

That's not me being negative, just a read of the trending numbers.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The opposite of ‘positive’ isn’t ‘realistic’. The opposite of ‘positive’ is ‘negative’. There are a lot of ways to interpret the available data, and on which data to place greater or lesser evidence. Because one person chooses to interpret all that stuff differently doesn’t make it any more ‘real’ than another interpretation.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
The opposite of ‘positive’ isn’t ‘realistic’. The opposite of ‘positive’ is ‘negative’. There are a lot of ways to interpret the available data, and on which data to place greater or lesser evidence. Because one person chooses to interpret all that stuff differently doesn’t make it any more ‘real’ than another interpretation.

giphy.gif

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think you meant to place greater or lesser weight on evidence.

You're playing a silly semantics game. No one said one was "real" and the other was, by deduction "unreal".

But, if you live in an "everything and everyone has equal merit all the time" world, I guess what you said makes sense to you. Even if it's really wrong.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think you meant to place greater or lesser weight on evidence.

You're playing a silly semantics game. No one said one was "real" and the other was, by deduction "unreal".

But, if you live in an "everything and everyone has equal merit all the time" world, I guess what you said makes sense to you. Even if it's really wrong.

That’s not what I said. But it’s ok. Everyone hates semantics.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
This is a streaky team so I could see it trend up at some point and they reel off 8 straight wins. That's why I think they'll be a wild card. It's also a very flawed team lacking in experienced, top-end forward talent other than Panarin. If one or two of Cam, Wennberg, and Foligno don't markedly improve this team may end up out of the playoffs.

In addition to watching the same ineffective crap over and over again on the PP, my biggest annoyance w/the org is that they finally dug out from contracts that seemed interminable at the time (Umberger, Commodore, etc), then they go and sign late 20s guys at the peak of their value, guys with with moderate at-best skills, to long-term, high dollar deals, thus digging themselves another cap hole and making us watch these guys slowly decline to vet minimum players getting paid like top 6 forwards, at which point they'll probably get bought out.

Last edited:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Yes.

The Metro is going to get five playoff teams and we're in 2nd despite the Jackets playing their worst hockey of the year recently. It won't take much of a turnaround to stay in the top 3, and even this level of play is probably enough to stay in the top 5.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes.

The Metro is going to get five playoff teams and we're in 2nd despite the Jackets playing their worst hockey of the year recently. It won't take much of a turnaround to stay in the top 3, and even this level of play is probably enough to stay in the top 5.
It also helps that we're not the only Metro team slumping. We've lost our last two and are 4-5-1 in our last 10. NJ has lost their last 6 and are 4-3-3. The Rangers lost their last two and are 4-4-2. The Islanders have the same recent record as us - 4-5-1 - having won their last two games. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are making progress, but Pittsburgh can't catch us with their games in hand, and Philly would have to win another three in a row.

The division as a whole has cooled down, really.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think we get in. From there it depends on how Bob is playing if he is Vezina Bob we have a shot to advance. If he's not playing well it will be a quick exit.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The question is, do we think Columbus can win 22-24 of their last 36 games. The way they are playing right now I don't see that being likely (I voted yes by the way), however, I don't believe this is the standard level of play to expect and getting 45+ points (out of 72) seems like it is realistic given the expectation. They are above .500 in the division and have a lot divisional games remaining. Again, I'm an optimist and think this is part of the growing pains that will right itself.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Voted IN.

Admittedly there are troubling signs in the past 20 games or so. But this team is still in 2nd having played relatively poor hockey during that stretch. I do not expect the return of the injured group to magically change things - but getting Dubi, Cam, Wennberg (who just got back) and Murray back on the ice (and it looks like close to same time) will change the slotting all over the ice. Dubi may or may not be fighting a regression, his contract may suck, but he is more than adequate at 3C - and his absence allowed PLD to emerge. Murray makes the D better simply because he and Nutti were SOLID as 2nd pair (and needed to be with JJ/Savard struggling). Wennberg just needs to shoot and feed Bjorkstrand (or Anderson if Bjorkstrand moves up). Cam just needs to improve shooting percentage - he will be fine when healthy. Not all-star, but doesn't have to be. All of that moves the AHL'ers back to Cleveland, and makes Sedlak and company more dangerous on the 4th line than on 3rd line - better matchups for them and for everyone else (except the 1st line, which will see the same matchups). And all of that should take a little (not much I admit) pressure off the #1 line and the first pair to score.

I think this team can do damage in playoffs if it goes in with some momentum, regardless of which playoff spot it gets - so long as it gets in. And so long as Bob is the solid Bob and not the leaky Bob. I don't think we are a SC contender, but a fun watch the rest of the way. *I hope. (* feel like Linus in the pumpkin patch -- again).

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The question is, do we think Columbus can win 22-24 of their last 36 games. The way they are playing right now I don't see that being likely (I voted yes by the way), however, I don't believe this is the standard level of play to expect and getting 45+ points (out of 72) seems like it is realistic given the expectation. They are above .500 in the division and have a lot divisional games remaining. Again, I'm an optimist and think this is part of the growing pains that will right itself.
They need to win just 21 of 36 to get in. 95 points is enough to get in. Then you will meet Tampa and it's a quick date with no dessert.
And i still think it's unreachable the way they're playing right now. FO is stubborn with PP, goalie management is awful, PK and defence fell apart. Torts style of hockey is unwatchable and very wearisome to players.
So i voted No.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Remaining games (not necessarily in order)
Dallas
Vegas home and away
at Arizona
Minny
SJ
at islanders x 2
Caps here twice, there once
NJ + at NJ
at Toronto
Philly + @ Philly x 2
Pens x 2
Chicago
West coast swing
Colorado
Detroit x 2
Montreal
Ottawa
at Boston
@ Rangers
Florida
St Louis
Western Canada swing
@ Nashville

Just for reference (I think I got them all)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Statistically, yes. But man they seem like they're limping across the finish line.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Friedman says the Rangers believe that they can't win this year and may sell at the deadline (Meaning UFA's, McDonaugh, and Zucc) if that were to happen that should eliminate them from contention, thus helping our cause.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Friedman says the Rangers believe that they can't win this year and may sell at the deadline (Meaning UFA's, McDonaugh, and Zucc) if that were to happen that should eliminate them from contention, thus helping our cause.
McD and Zucc are contracted through next season.

New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Rick Nash isn't. Now wouldn't that be something if he came back as a rental!

The NYR are crushing Philly 5-1 through 2 periods tonite. I view the NYR as a team which the CBJ can finish ahead of. Carolina, NYI and Philly are the others. Got to beat 3 out of the 4.

Reactions: cbjfaninmo

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
McD and Zucc are contracted through next season.

New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Rick Nash isn't. Now wouldn't that be something if he came back as a rental!

The NYR are crushing Philly 5-1 through 2 periods tonite. I view the NYR as a team which the CBJ can finish ahead of. Carolina, NYI and Philly are the others. Got to beat 3 out of the 4.
That line meant those guys in addition to their UFAs.

And yeah, bringing back Nash would be... interesting. Not that I'd be willing to pay much for it. ;)

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
If my math is right, we're 7-8-2 in the last seventeen games. One lousy game below .500. Despite that, we're still in 3rd place.

So the question is: Do you think we're truly this bad, or do you think this is our worst stretch of hockey of the season? I think it's the latter. I think it's virtually impossible for all of our offensive stars to continue sucking at the rate they have been. The law of averages alone would indicate that we have to start scoring some goals eventually. But even with the complete goal drought, we're still getting points more often than we're not. It isn't going to take a whole hell of a lot more offense to transform this team from a middling, 500 team to a legit three-seed.

And oh yeah, we've still got reinforcements coming back from injury, and the best goaltender on the planet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad