Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The Wings biggest flaw is their assortment of guys who excel on the perimeter but who shy away from going to the front of the net.

When the Wings were good they excelled in that area, but since Holmstrom and to a lesser extent Franzen retired it's become an area of extreme weakness.

I'm sure there were available players that are more talented than Rasmussen, but the more I read about him the more I think he fits our needs.

He has major flaws, he isn't going to be the guy carrying the puck into the zone, he's not going to excel at 5 on 5 play and while he's not slow he's not going to be keeping up with AA or Larkin.

He will however provide a fantastic screen and good hand-eye tipping pucks in front of the net. He should make the PP better, which we are in dire need of and it looks like he might be the best player we have on a cycle already.

Let Larkin or AA carry the puck, let Mantha be the trigger guy and let him be the net front guy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't know much about Rasmussen or whether he will be good or not. But why are most of you "non scouts" so unhappy with this pick. Just because some consensus said Gabe Vilardi was 4 or 5 doesn't mean he should be there. Also, 5 or 6 teams also passed on him, so to me that says something.

As with all picks, time will tell, but I think it is silly to complain about something where the value is yet to be determined. It isn't like they drafted a projected 4th rounder here, he was still a top 10-12 pick. The overwhelming sense of doom in everything the Wings do on this forum is very frustrating at times. Things suck right now, but not every move Holland does is a bad move.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
To all those who are defending this pick, saying Wings fan will complain about any pick Holland makes, I'd like to point out that I made this post at 11:39PM last night:

This was a pick that most people who had been following the draft wanted to avoid, while names like Necas, Valimaki, Vilardi, Liljegren, and Suzuki were all mentioned as possible players the collective would be happy with. This isn't some knee-jerk reaction. Many of us take great pleasure in following the draft and have informed ourselves accordingly.

I read a few scouting reports but I also appreciate and trust the talk from those who've really been following this draft class. It's a questionable pick obviously- no need to undermine the intelligence of HF posters because the org.'s pick doesn't align with was nearly universally hoped for. I think some here underestimate how legitimate the effect HF and other fan sites has had on the hockey world. There are some talented minds who we know journalists and other check for.

Reading the posts it's sort of a sad day. It bums me out that so many of you in the know are not in the least satisfied.

Is there any upside to the idea that with Rasmussen's size (my first time writing his name kind of cool, haha) he might get a shot with the Wing earlier than the usual 3-4 years?

I have to say I do love the name: RASMAN! Ras Ites, haha. ;) May be he can grow to be as wise.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The wings biggest flaw is elite talent at center, defense and goal. It's really that simple. A more agile homer is great. But that's a secondary piece. If this guy's​ greatest attribute is big body net front presence then this a ****** top ten pick.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That's absolutely bull ****ing ****.

People have been saying for months they didn't want Rasmussen.

Unlike folks that sign off on literally anything Ken Holland does, some people actually have an opinion on stuff BEFORE it happens.

Yeah but why does it matter who the fans want as a pick, we have only the info we get passed by insiders, that is all. I like you and every other fan, know very little about the scouting process, and like 95% of the time on this and every other forum, fans views are wrong.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
McKenzie compared him to a batter skating Tomas Holmstrom...oh gee, pumped for this one.

Tomas Holmstrom was putting up 25-30 goals and 50-60 points in his prime with his skating ability. I imagine that a better skater would put up more than that. So, I'm not sure why that is a horrible thing. Especially in a weak draft.

This rebuild is going to take time and you are going to need players of all builds, a big body who can put up points will help them down the road. The kid has never played an NHL game in his life, give him a chance. How many first round picks have we clamored over in the past that wound up disappointing?

By the way, for people knocking the kid because he has good character...seriously? You don't want a guy with good character in your locker room?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Tomas Holmstrom was putting up 25-30 goals and 50-60 points in his prime with his skating ability. I imagine that a better skater would put up more than that. So, I'm not sure why that is a horrible thing. Especially in a weak draft.

This rebuild is going to take time and you are going to need players of all builds, a big body who can put up points will help them down the road. The kid has never played an NHL game in his life, give him a chance. How many first round picks have we clamored over in the past that wound up disappointing?

By the way, for people knocking the kid because he has good character...seriously? You don't want a guy with good character in your locker room?

Absolutely nobody is knocking him for having character.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
This is a brilliant pick, there's a chance he could be the best defenseman in the draft. (A better chance than him being a first line center, anyway....so get on the conversion.)

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I don't know much about Rasmussen or whether he will be good or not. But why are most of you "non scouts" so unhappy with this pick. Just because some consensus said Gabe Vilardi was 4 or 5 doesn't mean he should be there. Also, 5 or 6 teams also passed on him, so to me that says something.

As with all picks, time will tell, but I think it is silly to complain about something where the value is yet to be determined. It isn't like they drafted a projected 4th rounder here, he was still a top 10-12 pick. The overwhelming sense of doom in everything the Wings do on this forum is very frustrating at times. Things suck right now, but not every move Holland does is a bad move.

A family is hungry, needs food.

Holland just spent a ton of money on a really good fork.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I'm kinda intrigued by the pick. I wasn't sold on Necas as I don't seem him being better than Larkin.

I didn't want Vilardi and several teams didn't either. Pettersson got snatched up by Vancouver.

So we have a big dude who actually goes to the net and scores goals. Nice.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I'm kinda intrigued by the pick. I wasn't sold on Necas as I don't seem him being better than Larkin.

I didn't want Vilardi and several teams didn't either. Pettersson got snatched up by Vancouver.

So we have a big dude who actually goes to the net and scores goals. Nice.

*only on the pp

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Gabe Vilardi was a total monster at the Memorial Cup. He was the best player there. It was total beast mode. That's why it's so upsetting. He's a highly-ranked, very high skill player who just showed how dominant he can be at a very high level of competition.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Wings biggest flaw is their assortment of guys who excel on the perimeter but who shy away from going to the front of the net.

When the Wings were good they excelled in that area, but since Holmstrom and to a lesser extent Franzen retired it's become an area of extreme weakness.

I'm sure there were available players that are more talented than Rasmussen, but the more I read about him the more I think he fits our needs.

He has major flaws, he isn't going to be the guy carrying the puck into the zone, he's not going to excel at 5 on 5 play and while he's not slow he's not going to be keeping up with AA or Larkin.

He will however provide a fantastic screen and good hand-eye tipping pucks in front of the net. He should make the PP better, which we are in dire need of and it looks like he might be the best player we have on a cycle already.

Let Larkin or AA carry the puck, let Mantha be the trigger guy and let him be the net front guy.

Why is it necessary to try and put a positive spin on the disappointment of our 1st round pick? Draft picks will never be forgotten it's a giant piece of a history. 8/10 here are not happy and I trust their opinions. It's not law or something but the people who've devoted months worth of time have a voice worth hearing. What about fans who actually followed his team? You think because some AHL dropout worked his way up the scouting ladder he has such a vastly superior outlook on the game? All viewpoints are acceptable but I don't see a purpose of imagining the kid will be a success when those who've watched him are not excited. By all accounts it was a strange choice that's the reality.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Well. I didn't like the pick. But after letting it settle... I'm ok with it. The scouting staff had lots of options and they chose Rasmussen.

I really wanted Petterson but that wasn't in the cards today.

I'll envision Ras as a 6'6" Holmstrom that can skate and be plenty happy with that.

Time will tell.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ok so let's not even have a website where we talk about prospects because all the teams know better.

Everyone just delete your account.

Hold your phone, that is not what I am saying. I am just saying, every single move the Wings make is Doom and Gloom around here, can we relax with the World is Ending type scenarios. We won 4 cups in the last 25 years and last won in 2008, we have had it good. A few sucky years isn't as bad as it seems, literally every team goes through these sections. Pittsburgh and Chicago will soon again hit these moments as their stars head out.

It isn't like we are Leafs with no cups since 67, or the Rangers 1 cup since 1940, we have had it good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->