Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm not sure where it orginated, but there was a label on Larkin "Helm with hands", and nearly everyone freaked the f#- out!

I remember this comparison but I never took it in a bad way. It's already been said, but in his early days Helm was seen with a lot of potential if he could've learned to finish. He never did.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To be fair most player comparisons are stupid haha

They are, but it wouldn't have been hard to say something like "We see him in the mold of a Ryan Kesler." People want to feel good about the guy their team just drafted, don't compare him to an overpaid bottom6 wing with limited offensive IQ and an inability to stay healthy.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
They are, but it wouldn't have been hard to say something like "We see him in the mold of a Ryan Kesler." People want to feel good about the guy their team just drafted, don't compare him to an overpaid bottom6 wing with limited offensive IQ and an inability to stay healthy.

Larkin plays nothing at all like Kesler. Not sure why anyone would make that comparison.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We are in a thread of a guy people are tying to downgrade all the time, even when other scouts say they like him it is being ignored. So that is kind of a funny point.:laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Larkin plays nothing at all like Kesler. Not sure why anyone would make that comparison.

Because. People. Want. To. Feel. Good. About. The. Pick.

We are in a thread of a guy people are tying to downgrade all the time, even when other scouts say they like him it is being ignored. So that is kind of a funny point.:laugh:

lol true. The Wings are just not very good at getting people upbeat about a lot of these guys. Even if what they say is total BS, it just has to be enthusiastic and unquestionably positive. I don't remember them even building Rasmussen up last year. Just going from memory, but it seemed like a lot of it boiled down to, "he's big and scores a lot down low." It's so deflating that it's funny.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
ironically "Helm with hands" is pretty much exactly what Larkin played like last year

fortunately he was better than that this year

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
When was anybody down on Larkin?

His sophomore slump yes, but after he was drafted the general consensus was favorable.

You joined in 2017 so I assume you werent posting here under a different name at the time? There was not a favourable consensus at all. Helm with hands had people having melt downs all over the place.

Also to be fair, old Helm with a pair of hands would be a very good player

Thats what I didnt get at the time. He was basically calling him a Helm with offensive talent and people didnt like that. Helm was a great PKer, hard worker, slightly physical and obviously really fast. You give him offensive talent and pick him at 15th, people should've been happy. Plenty werent though

Reactions: lidstromiscool

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You joined in 2017 so I assume you werent posting here under a different name at the time? There was not a favourable consensus at all. Helm with hands had people having melt downs all over the place.

Thats what I didnt get at the time. He was basically calling him a Helm with offensive talent and people didnt like that. Helm was a great PKer, hard worker, slightly physical and obviously really fast. You give him offensive talent and pick him at 15th, people should've been happy. Plenty werent though

for me that boils down to style of play mostly,Helm plays an extremely straightforward and obvious kind of game and even if you give him "hands" you have yourself a fast goalscorer that is easy to plan around and shut down

much like what we saw with Larkin last year when he played like just that

take a guy that's already thought of as having limited offensive upside and make comparisons like that and it's not a pretty thought

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

an offensively dynamic Darren Helm is no longer Darren Helm, though. And what exactly is the offense you're expecting from Darren Deluxe? 40 points? Maybe? This was the Wings highest pick since Marty LaPointe in 1991. I'd hazard to guess we have folks posting here who weren't even alive when LaPointe was drafted. And folks were really warming to the pick until the Wings make that comparison.

Pick a top6 center in the league who skates well and who is good but not great (so no, "he's our Crosby" malarkey) and throw that out there. Say something even slightly reassuring that the club didn't just draft a 45 point middle6 tweener with durability issues. And that's what the club seemed to be enthusiastic about drafting. Yeah, people aren't going to react well to that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
an offensively dynamic Darren Helm is no longer Darren Helm, though. And what exactly is the offense you're expecting from Darren Deluxe? 40 points? Maybe? This was the Wings highest pick since Marty LaPointe in 1991. I'd hazard to guess we have folks posting here who weren't even alive when LaPointe was drafted. And folks were really warming to the pick until the Wings make that comparison.

Pick a top6 center in the league who skates well and who is good but not great (so no, "he's our Crosby" malarkey) and throw that out there. Say something even slightly reassuring that the club didn't just draft a 45 point middle6 tweener with durability issues. And that's what the club seemed to be enthusiastic about drafting. Yeah, people aren't going to react well to that.

I think the point is too many people freaked out for like you said not knowing what an offensively dynamic Darren Helm is in the first place. Even in hindsight I can easily see why a wings scout would make that comparison, I can still see the similarities in their games. Its a classic overreaction that this board has too much about draft picks they've never watched play and listen to a quick comparison made at the draft by a guy who is super busy and giving a quick interview

Tyler Bertuzzi could've been taken in the 7th round or an UDFA, Rasmussen shouldnt have went close to where he did, a Helm with hands is a bad pick. Now all of a sudden Bertuzzi and Larkin look like great picks. I wonder if Rasmussen will be the same

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think its pretty clear the Helm with hands comment was more along the lines of :

Helm is great at everything, except doesn't have the hands to be a scorer.
(this is back when Helm was considered by our management to be an elite 3rd line C)

it means we have a fast scorer.

I kind of agree with our management not saying things like:

Rasmussen will be the next Getzlaf
Cholowski will be the next Pietrangelo.
that would be unwise.

Under-promise, over-deliver.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Wasn’t it a scout that made the Helm comparison?

Overall I hate how everyone needs a lazy 1:1 player comparison to make a judgement. Players are individuals. Players can have similar tools at 18 but one works harder to improve them and becomes much better. Or one has an ability to adapt and play different styles which makes him more effective. ”Helm with hands” was always essentiallly ”He has speed and good hands”. Says nothing of his IQ or creativity or a million other things. Ovechkin is Pulkkinen with better skating..

Reactions: Winger98

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I knew it was all small sample size, he's just showing us who he really is in 3 of these last 4 games.
:sarcasm:

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Selfishly I hope he plays great in Game 5 tomorrow but loses... I want to see him play for GR (He would play ASAP) in the 2nd Round if the Griffs win Game 5 on Monday.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Selfishly I hope he plays great in Game 5 tomorrow but loses... I want to see him play for GR (He would play ASAP) in the 2nd Round if the Griffs win Game 5 on Monday.

If he loses tomorrow, what are the odds he's able to drop in on Monday for game 5? My understanding is GR needs some forward help

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would think that is too quick of a turnaround to play on Monday in a Win or Go Home Game 5... Tough to throw the kid in there
Forward is a little different than defense though, I could see him getting thrown in over a guy like Elson, Nastasiuk or Esposito. Shine possibly also but hes their tough guy.physical presence and kinda provides something Rasmussen couldnt.

Like you said though, tough to just toss a kid in there but on the fourth line where he can just be told to go to the net at the very least I could possibly see it

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Forward is a little different than defense though, I could see him getting thrown in over a guy like Elson, Nastasiuk or Esposito. Shine possibly also but hes their tough guy.physical presence and kinda provides something Rasmussen couldnt.

Like you said though, tough to just toss a kid in there but on the fourth line where he can just be told to go to the net at the very least I could possibly see it
Yeah, at least in a lower line role. Rasmussen would be a massive upgrade over some of those borderline guys. And Rasmussen is really conscientious defensively, so you don't have to worry about him hurting you as much.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad