Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
To all those who are defending this pick, saying Wings fan will complain about any pick Holland makes, I'd like to point out that I made this post at 11:39PM last night:

Larkin was practically telegraphed to the fans with how many rumors there were about Detroit being in love with him. And there were some rumors about Svechnikov before the draft as well. Cholo was way out there, though.

The more common theme is that we've been drafting people that the collective fanbase has been disappointed in, so going off of that, I'll go with Ryan Poehling or Michael Rasmussen.

This was a pick that most people who had been following the draft wanted to avoid, while names like Necas, Valimaki, Vilardi, Liljegren, and Suzuki were all mentioned as possible players the collective would be happy with. This isn't some knee-jerk reaction. Many of us take great pleasure in following the draft and have informed ourselves accordingly.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The Holland apologists have driven me mad to the point that I struggle to even read the Detroit board anymore (thank you History, Entertainment, Main, and Polls sections for still keeping me entertained.)

With that being said, I'm not going to be up in arms about this. Let's revisit down the road. Hope he becomes a stud.

Right? So many strawmen and excuses to sort through to get to any honest debate.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
some positive comments

"He's playing with much more confidence this season. He's adapted to playing a bigger role and playing heavy minutes against opponents' top lines and defense. The game has slowed down for him a little bit and he's just that much more poised. He can take that extra bit of time and understands he can take that time to make plays and score goals."
- John Williams, NHL Central Scouting

"[Rasmussen] has good acceleration, mobility and strength so he covers a lot of ice and a lot of range and he's a very smart player, Put those things together and he gets a lot accomplished"
Tri-City head coach Mike Williamson

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Not a huge fan of the pick, but jeez some people around here acting like they actually know anything worth a damn about hockey, I'm at least willing to give the kid a year before deciding he's the biggest bust in history.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Let's face it, we need a lot of things. One top 10 pick in a meh draft isn't going to address them all. Net-front presence on the PP and big bodies driving the net in general is one of those things we desperately need. Hope this kid can do that for us. I'm also shaking my head at anyone mocking character as an important evaluation point. It's one of the most important ones. Anyway, looking forward to watching him play in a Wings jersey.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
some positive comments

"He's playing with much more confidence this season. He's adapted to playing a bigger role and playing heavy minutes against opponents' top lines and defense. The game has slowed down for him a little bit and he's just that much more poised. He can take that extra bit of time and understands he can take that time to make plays and score goals."
- John Williams, NHL Central Scouting

"[Rasmussen] has good acceleration, mobility and strength so he covers a lot of ice and a lot of range and he's a very smart player, Put those things together and he gets a lot accomplished"
Tri-City head coach Mike Williamson

In addition to this, you can go read up on him at the draft forum and you can see people who honestly watched and followed him say opposite things than the folks here who admit they are nothing more than part time "internet scouts".

Granted I only watched highlight videos since he's been drafted. I can't find anyone who watched him who doesn't like him. He seems to be the complete package in raw form.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Not a huge fan of the pick, but jeez some people around here acting like they actually know anything worth a damn about hockey, I'm at least willing to give the kid a year before deciding he's the biggest bust in history.

I don't think he'll bust in the sense that he won't make the NHL, I just think he's going to be depth player.

Thats not what a team should draft at 9.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Rasmussen

I love this pick.

Everything I have read and/or seen indicates that he rates high marks in the 4 s's of hockey (Skill/Smarts/Skating and obviously Size). Worries about his lack of ES scoring vs his PP stats are over rated. Goal tenders are going to hate playing against the Wings' with the likes of Mantha, Rasmussen and Bertuzzi and their net front presence.

P.S. Would love the Wings to grab 6'5" Victor Ejdsell from the Preds. Nyquist to the Preds for Ejdsell + Nash. 2017 3rd. The thought of Mantha, Rasmussen and Ejdsell on the same line would scare the hell out of me, if I were an opposition dman.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
Shocked to be 4 pages in and not see this question yet, So with his physical maturity, how long until we see him in the nhl? And is he going back to tri city next season?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Shocked to be 4 pages in and not see this question yet, So with his physical maturity, how long until we see him in the nhl? And is he going back to tri city next season?

I think he'll be one more year in tri city and then he'll play for us. He's very NHL ready.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

My guess (and only my guess) is he'll take the Mantha approach. He is raw and needs a few years to continue to develop.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Lol @ Zac Urbac. The guy hired by the Avs and helped them get a whopping 48 points?

Wow, talk about losing credibility. He has none. I'll listen to McKenzie over him.

McKenzie compared him to a batter skating Tomas Holmstrom...oh gee, pumped for this one.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Let's face it, we need a lot of things. One top 10 pick in a meh draft isn't going to address them all. Net-front presence on the PP and big bodies driving the net in general is one of those things we desperately need. Hope this kid can do that for us. I'm also shaking my head at anyone mocking character as an important evaluation point. It's one of the most important ones. Anyway, looking forward to watching him play in a Wings jersey.

Yea, this is the reasonable way to look at it. This is the type of player Babcock so desperately wanted that never came during those post-Cup years. Of course now they're missing the whole puzzle of pieces, but one pick at a time.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

I think it was mentioned in passing that he's likely to make a trip up to the big club sooner than most. Maybe as soon as the 2018-19 season?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
a comment before Ras was injured (from a fantasy hockey site)

March 2017 – Rasmussen is a prospect NHL scouts will be fighting for their team to draft. He is a big bodied center with NHL ready size; he skating is above average thanks to his long powerful stride. He has a high compete level and uses his size well in puck battles and to finish checks, but he could be a little more aggressive or mean. His offensive skills are elite as he owns good play making vision but is also an accomplished goal scorer. Scores a lot of goals in close to the net where he uses his size as a net presence, screen and can score on tips, rebounds and deflections.Rasmussen will have added value in multi cat leagues as he will contribute points, face off wins, hits and penalty minutes.

With his size, skating, skill and smarts he has all the makings of a first or second line NHL center. Peter Harling

Fantasy Outlook: B+

Power forward center with top six potential.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/michael-rasmussen/

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If these Necas and Lilgren kids were so great, then why did they fall so far?

I have a feeling people on the 'inside' have a better understanding about these kids than random message forum posters.

I remember how people were up in arms about Larkin, too. :laugh:

How​ do you reconcile this statement with your belief that you can build by drafting late? I,mean,why would the experts allow talent to last until the later half of the first?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The Holland apologists have driven me mad to the point that I struggle to even read the Detroit board anymore (thank you History, Entertainment, Main, and Polls sections for still keeping me entertained.)

With that being said, I'm not going to be up in arms about this. Let's revisit down the road. Hope he becomes a stud.

Same, business board is decent also.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
McKenzie compared him to a batter skating Tomas Holmstrom...oh gee, pumped for this one.

McKenzie? When was the last time that guy even played professional hockey. His opinion is worthless.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Also, McKeen thought he would have been capable of being selected first overall.

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prosp...atrick-michael-rasmussen-top-bumper-whl-crop/

Grant McCagg On November 26, 2016

Two centers have captured scouts' attention above all others - Brandon's Nolan Patrick and Tri City's Michael Rasmussen are both legitimate contenders to be selected first overall next June.

Rasmussen was another youngster that caught scouts' attention last season with his smarts and skills, but he has taken his game to a whole new level, leading all WHL players with 20 goals one-third of the way into the season. The 6-6 center possesses a strong skating stride, smooth hands and a pro release and shot that will allow him to score plenty of goals at the next level. There are now whispers that he may end up being the first player chosen in the draft. A 6-6 center with his goal-scoring abilities are a rare breed indeed. On top of that, he plays a solid two-way game and has superior vision and passing skills as well. Comparisons to Keith Primeau are far from overblown.

There's a chance he could be the steal of the draft.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The only thing certain tonight was that this forum was going to **** on this pick and Holland no matter what.

The outcome will be another Dylan "I'm Sorry" Larkin or I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

I don't have the slightest idea about any of these guys. So all I will do is continue to hope for the best.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The only thing certain tonight was that this forum was going to **** on this pick and Holland no matter what.

I don't have the slightest idea about any of these guys. So all I will do is continue to hope for the best.
I don't think so at all. This forum would have been ecstatic to get Vilardi.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That's absolutely bull ****ing ****.

People have been saying for months they didn't want Rasmussen.

Unlike folks that sign off on literally anything Ken Holland does, some people actually have an opinion on stuff BEFORE it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad