Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He doesn't seem like a dominate offensive player actually. His totals and PPG are pretty mundane for a first rounder. What people like are his style and size more than his totals.
More dominant than Justin Abdelkader.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Maybe because some of the stuff posted here now is pure bull**** that makes some people spazz out? When I joined here this board was so much more tame despite criticism of the team and it’s present/future. Posts at least had logic and fairness to them.

Rasmussen will be the way more superior player. Why is Abby even mentioned? One is a good prospect and the other happened to get on the team while it was stacked and used as a minor part and so happened to lead to a bad contract and permanent stay on the team.

The hate on the board has gotten so ridiculous. I would love to see some of the time machines some you have so I can see the future of Rasmussen.

More spazzing out.
I'm not the guy who compared Abby to Rasmussen.

Why don't you go find that post and spaz out on him.

I responded to the guy who said, Abby scored 40-50 so Rasmussen should do.
And the only reason Abby was ever a 40-50 point guy is because he played with pavel and Z.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
More dominant than Justin Abdelkader.

Hard to compare. Different leagues.
But whatever, they're not the same kinds of players. Abby is big, but he's not mammoth.

Here are the 6'6 forwards in the NHL.
Bjugstad
Boyle
Hanzal
McCarron
Brown
Greenway
Auger.

Only 3 of those guys have an NHL track record.

If you go to 6'5, there are 19 guys,
Wheeler. Laine. Bjugstad. Mantha, Hayes. Lowry, Hayes and Hanzal are the only ones with a real track record.

Of those guys, Wheeler, Bjugstad, Boyle and the Hayes brothers came up through college.

Hanzal came up through Czech.
Laine and Mantha are scoring wingers.

The only center who came up through junior is Lowry, and he was a 3rd round pick, not a top 10 pick,.

It's hard to find a comparable for Rasmussen.

But the one thing I see is that, until these playoffs, he really didn't do much to improve on his draft year.

Anyway, I thought he looked pretty good in the pre-season last year. I continue to be unimpressed by the things I'm seeing in the junior hockey video, though.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
More spazzing out.
I'm not the guy who compared Abby to Rasmussen.

Why don't you go find that post and spaz out on him.

I responded to the guy who said, Abby scored 40-50 so Rasmussen should do.
And the only reason Abby was ever a 40-50 point guy is because he played with pavel and Z.

Funny, the point of a centerman is to feed his wingers.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Who's going to be Abdelakder's Datsyuk?
He had about a ~40 point pace this year without either. But it doesn’t really matter; if Ras doesn’t have good players to play with his upside is meaningless. I just don’t like putting a low ceiling on a guy this early in his career. I highly doubt anyone predicted Larkin would get close to 50 assists in a season. An ability to adapt and change playstyle to suit situation is what often dictates successs in the NHL and we don’t yet know if Ras can do it.
It’s why so many guys can tear up juniors only to bust. No ability to adapt once their fancy moves no longer work on NHL D, they’re forced to actually play defense, they’re pushed around by stronger players, they’re only average in speed instead of the fastest etc. etc.
Adapt and overcome. It’s why I don’t go ga-ga over prospects that make a living off fancy dangles in juniors. I know 99% of them will be forced to change their game in pros. The 1% is Datsyuk/Kane/Gaudreau/McDavid..

Last edited:
Reactions: KJoe88

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It’s why I don’t go ga-ga over prospects that make a living off fancy dangles in juniors. I know 99% of them will be forced to change their game in pros. The 1% is Datsyuk/Kane/Gaudreau/McDavid..

That's just BS.

Look at the top 25 scorers in the NHL. McDavid, Giroux, Kucherov, Hall, Barzal, Gaudreau, Panarin, Kuznetsov, Pastrnak, Barkov.

All are great puckhandlers. Don't tell me it's not effective just because we don't have any prospects like that. There are more guys in the top 25 scoring with "fancy moves" than without. I think you would like those types of guys just fine if it is what was currently in our system.

An ability to adapt and change playstyle to suit situation is what often dictates successs in the NHL and we don’t yet know if Ras can do it.

This is a great point though, and I agree with this very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It seems like Pavels Dog is conflating Tomas Jurco with all skilled prospects who aren't necessarily "heavy".

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ah the Jurco effect, a few isolated clips and a montage of him in the street/basement and people lost their shit... until they realized that he didn't have the skill to translate that. It's not the same as McDavid or Matthews or Datsyuk making goalies and defenders look foolish at every level they played at.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
That's just BS.

Look at the top 25 scorers in the NHL. McDavid, Giroux, Kucherov, Hall, Barzal, Gaudreau, Panarin, Kuznetsov, Pastrnak, Barkov.

All are great puckhandlers. Don't tell me it's not effective just because we don't have any prospects like that. There are more guys in the top 25 scoring with "fancy moves" than without. I think you would like those types of guys just fine if it is what was currently in our system.

a few problems here:

1) The discourse going on here basically assumes Ras isn't a competent puckhandler which is untrue.

2) If all it took was fancy puck handling Robbie Schremp would be in the NHL. The list of these types is a lot longer than just schremp

3) There is more than one way to skin a cat: You list off a bunch of danglers as if they are the only top players in the league. Benn, Staal, Wheeler, Kopitar, Marchand etc. have all had fantastic carriers without having the specific playstyle of a Gaudreau

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
a few problems here:

1) The discourse going on here basically assumes Ras isn't a competent puckhandler which is untrue.

2) If all it took was fancy puck handling Robbie Schremp would be in the NHL.

3) There is more than one way to skin a cat: You list off a bunch of danglers as if they are the only top players in the league. Benn, Staal, Wheeler, Kopitar, Marchand etc. have all had fantastic carriers without having the specific playstyle of a Gaudreau

What sort of puck handler is he? Not trying to be an ass and not necessarily only asking you, Sirloin; I have just seen very little of him in game situations - essentially my viewing was limited to last pre-season. So many people have opinions on what his game is now and what his game will be in the NHL, so I'd really love to know more about the way he plays other than his talent as a net-front guy. Anyone who gets to watch him on a more regular basis would be great to hear from, I'd love to hear more about his game other than what is generally talked about here. Would also love to know how much his injuries affected him and impacted his numbers this season - I'm assuming he's fully recovered now, yes?

From watching him the three things I was able to say with any degree of certainty were:
- He plays at the top of the crease very well, great at tipping pucks.
- He skates quite well for a big man
- He is very good at shielding the puck and keeping it away from defenders in the offensive zone; only Z seemed better at it during the games I saw.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
a few problems here:

Don't see anyone saying he isn't "competent". The point is whether it is a "plus" skill or not.

2) If all it took was fancy puck handling Robbie Schremp would be in the NHL. The list of these types is a lot longer than just schremp

Extreme example, not even going to go into why this is wrong. But terrible skater and terrible work ethic, for starters. Obviously players with any skill set can fail, I never stated otherwise.

Definitely. ButI said more often than not. Did not say it was everyone. I see less of the type of guys you are listing than the type of guys I I listed among the top scorers. And even bigger guys like Kopitar and Malkin also have the "fancy moves".

*I will point out I didn't even mention Rasmussen's name in my post. I was honestly just talking more about a general concept.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just time to stop this nonsense. Is it too demanding for all Rasmussen-haters in here, to think a little bit outside the box of that one-dimensional thinking, that center in NHL has to creative and a playmaker? There are another ways to build effective lines in hockey. Screener center and offensive and creative wingers.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
currently
or how
Panarin - Anisimov - Kane
was structured.

Those are great lines, and they separate from this normal standard to give some more dynamic looks for the team. Another lines could be build differently. Nothing prevents that.

That's what Rasmussen career path with Wings will be. As a big center, he could carry some lower-drafted midget wingers, which midget centers couldn't carry. Rasmussen would have been most idealistic center-type for Nyquist and Tatar ever had, but I think both are gone far before until he will enter on his prime. But those type of players will fit with him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just time to stop this nonsense. Is it too demanding for all Rasmussen-haters in here, to think a little bit outside the box of that one-dimensional thinking, that center in NHL has to creative and a playmaker? There are another ways to build effective lines in hockey. Screener center and offensive and creative wingers.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
currently
or how
Panarin - Anisimov - Kane
was structured.

Those are great lines, and they separate from this normal standard to give some more dynamic looks for the team. Another lines could be build differently. Nothing prevents that.

That's what Rasmussen career path with Wings will be. As a big center, he could carry some lower-drafted midget wingers, which midget centers couldn't carry. Rasmussen would have been most idealistic center-type for Nyquist and Tatar ever had, but I think both are gone far before until he will enter on his prime. But those type of players will fit with him.

He will probably complement players we draft in the future very well, I don't disagree with that at all. At some point we are going to need those Giroux/Kane/Panarin types though, and right now we just don't really have anything like that.

All I was doing was pointing that out. People need to chill out in this thread a little bit.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I would agree posters need to ease up a bit on Ras.

He either becomes a top two centre or the pick deserved to be chastised.

Wait and see

No excuses
No whinning

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He had about a ~40 point pace this year without either. But it doesn’t really matter; if Ras doesn’t have good players to play with his upside is meaningless. I just don’t like putting a low ceiling on a guy this early in his career. I highly doubt anyone predicted Larkin would get close to 50 assists in a season. An ability to adapt and change playstyle to suit situation is what often dictates successs in the NHL and we don’t yet know if Ras can do it.
It’s why so many guys can tear up juniors only to bust. No ability to adapt once their fancy moves no longer work on NHL D, they’re forced to actually play defense, they’re pushed around by stronger players, they’re only average in speed instead of the fastest etc. etc.
Adapt and overcome. It’s why I don’t go ga-ga over prospects that make a living off fancy dangles in juniors. I know 99% of them will be forced to change their game in pros. The 1% is Datsyuk/Kane/Gaudreau/McDavid..

Jurco didn't skate well enough.
If Jurco could skate, he'd have been real good.
I still think he's got the ability to be a productive top 9 forward in the NHL. But his window to prove it is closing.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Ras puts up 9 points tonight he'll be at 4 ppg for the WHL playoffs.

So everyone should just relax.

Reactions: Frk It

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, because every center in the NHL is a set up man.

Yep, and the ones that arent set up men suck. Auston Matthews and his career high 29 assists, probably wouldnt even make the red wings, doesnt set up his wingers enough

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Brad Marchand does not fit the description of a "Brad Marchand type player"
Anders Lee does not fit the description of a "Anders Lee type player"

yet everyone is obsessed with player comparables.

Is he good at helping his team put the puck in the net and stopping the other team from putting the puck in his net?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yep, and the ones that arent set up men suck. Auston Matthews and his career high 29 assists, probably wouldnt even make the red wings, doesnt set up his wingers enough

To be fair I wonder how many first line centres this year and each of the last twenty years consistently put up more goals than assists?

My guess is that you will see Mathews' numbers change in the coming years

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
To be fair I wonder how many first line centres this year and each of the last twenty years consistently put up more goals than assists?

Goals are way harder to come by so I doubt there has been many at all. That doesnt mean hes less effective because he doesnt set his wingers up is my point, scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. I know Franzen did it quite a bit in Detroit.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat is my point. Making BS arguments to say that a centres job is to set up his wingers is stupid, so is saying that 3 or 4 skills are the most important in the league. The most important thing to make a player effective in the NHL is to make sure more goals end up in the other teams net compared to how many end up in yours. Theres plenty of ways to make that happen though

Reactions: NickH8

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

This season:
3 of the top 20 scoring centers put up more goals than assists.

6 in the top 50 scoring centers

1 in the top 50 was even

43 in the top 50 had more assists than goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->