Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Vilardi is 6'3 201lbs and Larkin is 6'1 198lbs

Yzerman was 5'11 185lbs and Fedorov was 6'1 200lbs

Datsyuk was 5"11 194lbs and Zetterberg was 6"0 197lbs

What do you mean we'd be devoid of size? That would be our biggest set of top 6 centers in decades in terms of both height and weight. And this is an era in which size matters the least.

Where are you getting Vilardi at 6'3? He's 6'2 according to eliteprospects.

And down the middle doesn't mean top-2 centres does it? We currently don't have a single Center in the system that that looks to become a top-9 center that's above 6'2, red wings front office even said part of the reason they went for Ras they wanted better size down the middle.

You also have to realize that you listed 4 red wings legends, dont you think that certain rules don't apply when you're able to have 2 elite centres down the middle?

You didn't even try to adress my point, to adress my point you really have to try to come up with a real argument why size down the middle doesn't offer much utility because that was really my point. I could easily just give you a list of teams with big a center who've won a cup, but that's just so increadible counter productive, i'd rather have a proper discussion.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Where are you getting Vilardi at 6'3? He's 6'2 according to eliteprospects.

And down the middle doesn't mean top-2 centres does it? We currently don't have a single Center in the system that that looks to become a top-9 center that's above 6'2, red wings front office even said part of the reason they went for Ras they wanted better size down the middle.

You also have to realize that you listed 4 red wings legends, dont you think that certain rules don't apply when you're able to have 2 elite centres down the middle?

You didn't even try to adress my point, to adress my point you really have to try to come up with a real argument why size down the middle doesn't offer much utility because that was really my point. I could easily just give you a list of teams with big a center who've won a cup, but that's just so increadible counter productive, i'd rather have a proper discussion.

OHLs website lists him as 6'3 207

Hockeydb lists him ad 6'3 201

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
OHLs website lists him as 6'3 207

Hockeydb lists him ad 6'3 201

Alright I guess Eliteprospect is just slow at updating that stuff.

But yeah sure, admittedly I did believe he was abit smaller. So you're saying we wouldn't have a size problem if we picked Vilardi instead? Well maybe you're right.

If Vilardi goes on to become a legit first line center with a 200-foot game, then he'll make a lot of teams look silly for passing on him including the wings, no doubt. If he goes on to become a 60p center, while Ras becomes a 50p center then I'd rather have Ras (well it's a toss up really). At this point we don't know how either of these players will end up, Vilardi has higher upside for sure though.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Upside hopefully is a getzlaf

Hold out a lot of hope for him

We need it

I can think of few players who will have the exact opposite goals to assist ratio that Rasmussen has than Getzlaf. Somewhat similar in how they hold on to the puck and skate, but they make their living different ways. He plays more like Anders Lee and Bjugstad

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think his ceiling is a top line winger, and probably would play his best hockey with a Datsyuk like play making center. As a center I see him his ceiling as a 2nd line center. I think its much more likely he's going to end up as a third line energy center featured on a team with a ton of scoring depth in the top 3 lines. Which would be great if they can get their hands on a top line center, and would go a long way towards being a contender.

Certainly plausible - though his PP ability would make him a 3 rd line centre who puts up closer to 2nd line points. At this point I'd be disappointed if he doesn't have the odd 50-60 point season, and I think if all goes well you could add 10-15 points to that

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
No, he's no where near Matthews in style or potential production. I see him more of a Mule/Homer hybrid, making hay below the dots, and in front of the goalie. Matthews on the other hand scores well from all areas on the ice and on the transition.

He could top out at something between your two opinions. His intelligence re how to use his strengths is pretty well developed, so he could be pretty effective from the get go, with room for improvement given his age

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I can think of few players who will have the exact opposite goals to assist ratio than Getzlaf. Somewhat similar in how they hold on to the puck and skate, but they make their living different ways. He plays more like Anders Lee and Bjugstad

Yeah, Getlaf is more of a playmaking, Joe Thornton-mode guy.

And Rasmussen seems more in the mold of Lee/Bjugstad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
40-50 point middle six winger. Good PP guy, can win some draws if need be. Awesome side dish, but not part of the main course.
Projecting point totals is near impossible but if Justin Abdelkader can have 40-50 point seasons I see no reason to think that’s Rasmussen’s ceiling. Bjugstad had 48 points this year and there are reasons to believe Rasmussen has higher upside than him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Projecting point totals is near impossible but if Justin Abdelkader can have 40-50 point seasons I see no reason to think that’s Rasmussen’s ceiling. Bjugstad had 48 points this year and there are reasons to believe Rasmussen has higher upside than him.

Who's going to be Abdelakder's Datsyuk?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I can think of few players who will have the exact opposite goals to assist ratio than Getzlaf. Somewhat similar in how they hold on to the puck and skate, but they make their living different ways. He plays more like Anders Lee and Bjugstad

Right bt we're strictly speaking upside.

I don' put much premium on goals in the CHL as quite frankly the degree of separation in talent among players coupled with the sole desire to be "seen" often inflates goal scoring ability.

I say Getzlaf because i think Ras's goal scoring will diminish but his playmaking hopefully heats up. That is his upside.

A franzenesque winger is his floor.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Right bt we're strictly speaking upside.

I don' put much premium on goals in the CHL as quite frankly the degree of separation in talent among players coupled with the sole desire to be "seen" often inflates goal scoring ability.

I say Getzlaf because i think Ras's goal scoring will diminish but his playmaking hopefully heats up. That is his upside.

A franzenesque winger is his floor.

I don't think there's any actual evidence for that beyond wishful thinking.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
In 2015-2016 Abdelkader put up 42 points and played with Datsyuk just 19% of the time.

Are you intentionally omitting something here?
Like, I don't know....
Abby playing 919 minutes with Zetterberg.
Or Abby playing 286 minutes with Z and Datsyuk.
And only 256 minutes without either?

So fine.
Which Hall of Famer do you see setting up Rasmussen?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why the f*** are we talking about Abby?

Holy f*** this forum has AIDS when it comes to Rasmussen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There are lots of reasons to believe lots of different things. I'm not going to bother digging up the data yet again, because some people think he will do very well, some don't, and this is likely one of those arguments where no amount of discussion will change the minds of those on either side.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Why the **** are we talking about Abby?

Holy **** this forum has AIDS when it comes to Rasmussen.

If you'd take the time to read instead of spazzing out, you'd see someone said if Abdelkader could score 40-50 points, so could Rasmussen.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you'd take the time to read instead of spazzing out, you'd see someone said if Abdelkader could score 40-50 points, so could Rasmussen.
I did read, somone said they see him as a 40-50 point winger. Someone made the comparison to Abby due to that projection. You incorrectly said who will be Abby's Datsyuk (instead of Rasmussen's Datsyuk), which is dumb because Rasmussen seems to be a more dominant offensive player.
The fact that we've relegated this conversation to Justin Abdelkader comparables is just AIDS.

Don't get on your high horse. I could've just quoted someone and said LOL! or this post is bull-shit.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

Maybe because some of the stuff posted here now is pure bull**** that makes some people spazz out? When I joined here this board was so much more tame despite criticism of the team and it’s present/future. Posts at least had logic and fairness to them.

Rasmussen will be the way more superior player. Why is Abby even mentioned? One is a good prospect and the other happened to get on the team while it was stacked and used as a minor part and so happened to lead to a bad contract and permanent stay on the team.

The hate on the board has gotten so ridiculous. I would love to see some of the time machines some you have so I can see the future of Rasmussen.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I did read, somone said they see him as a 40-50 point winger. Someone made the comparison to Abby due to that projection. You incorrectly said who will be Abby's Datsyuk (instead of Rasmussen's Datsyuk), which is dumb because Rasmussen seems to be a more dominant offensive player.
The fact that we've relegated this conversation to Justin Abdelkader comparables is just AIDS.

Don't get on your high horse. I could've just quoted someone and said LOL! or this post is bull-****.

He doesn't seem like a dominate offensive player actually. His totals and PPG are pretty mundane for a first rounder. What people like are his style and size more than his totals.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad