Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Drafting for size typically works. Players that can't score 5v5 but get the bulk of their scoring on the power play show their true high elite skill. This is a very good pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was one of Canada's best players at the Hlinka. To me he just seems like one of those guys who produces in Juniors because he's a man among boys. Kind of like Gauthier.

It's just tough because I really didn't think Vilardi would be an option. I really think he would have contended for #1 if he wasn't injured for some of the season.

I need to see Rasmussen make some progress as a playmaker.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He was one of Canada's best players at the Hlinka. To me he just seems like one of those guys who produces in Juniors because he's a man among boys. Kind of like Gauthier.

It's just tough because I really didn't think Vilardi would be an option. I really think he would have contended for #1 if he wasn't injured for some of the season.

I need to see Rasmussen make some progress as a playmaker.

Exactly. Bigger and stronger than most NHLers, playing against teenagers. Gauthier is a good comp quality wise.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Me thinks you have no clue what you're even talking about

Look man, I'm an internet scout or whatever just like everyone else on here. Half of my opinion is based on reading scouting reports and watching highlights But because i wasn't excited about the Wings this year I've spent a lot of time watching all of these guys. I spent a lot of my time watching CHL streams with terrible quality because I was really really excited for the draft. I hate Rasmussen. I admittedly wrote off Rasmussen very early and didn't watch as much of him as others. I thought there was no way we'd consider him where we were picking but every time I watched him I was very unimpressed. He genuinely has very little skill. He's a net front guy first and foremost. He's hard working. He's big.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
That reasoning does not match up with some of posts in this thread.

Some of the posts are ridiculous in all honesty. People who say this kid isn't skilled?? News to anyone who's watched him.

People are going to love the way this kid plays. He's hard nosed has the size, speed, tenacity, scoring ability, creates his own space, etc. He's always involved.

Reminds me more of Getzlaf than any kid I've seen in years and he is a better skater by far than Getzlaf was.

The guys who were left on the board all have more questions other than possibly Necas. Rasmussen could absolutely be the best player in the entire draft.

For whatever strange reason there's been a hate fest on HF about him.

I'd ask people to actually watch him play before forming your opinion. I think you'll be surprised. He and Mantha are going to have dominating shifts for years to come with the mismatches.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Some of the posts are ridiculous in all honesty. People who say this kid isn't skilled?? News to anyone who's watched him.

People are going to love the way this kid plays. He's hard nosed has the size, speed, tenacity, scoring ability, creates his own space, etc. He's always involved.

Reminds me more of Getzlaf than any kid I've seen in years and he is a better skater by far than Getzlaf was.

The guys who were left on the board all have more questions other than possibly Necas. Rasmussen could absolutely be the best player in the entire draft.

I'd ask people to actually watch him play before forming your opinion. I think you'll be surprised. He and Mantha are going to have dominating shifts for years to come with the mismatches.

Isn't Getzlaf an elite playmaker with elite vision and passing abililty?

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If these Necas and Lilgren kids were so great, then why did they fall so far?

I have a feeling people on the 'inside' have a better understanding about these kids than random message forum posters.

I remember how people were up in arms about Larkin, too. :laugh:

Same reason Kopitar and Fowler fall because scouts and GMs arent as smart as they think they are.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Isn't Getzlaf an elite playmaker with elite vision and passing abililty?

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

And some will absolutely argue this kid is that exact type player. I'll absolutely attest to that. Have you watched him play??

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

This team needed a high IQ skilled puck-carrying playmaker, and Rasmussen is not it. This team does NOT need more scorers with little playmaking and stickhandling ability.

This team needs a Zetterberg or Datsyuk type, not a net-front scorer. This team already has the market cornered on low-skill character guys who exclusively score dirty goals.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I don't hate the pick. I can't find anything negative about where he was drafted. He's a big center that isn't a cream puff. He's exactly what this team needs more of.

Certainly like most in this draft he is unpolished and needs to time to work on his game.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Hate the pick. Nik Antropov is a comparable I geuss at least for upside..... Antrppov was taken 10th. Not many 6'6 scoring centers in history of the game. Unless this kid is generational.... just seems like he'll be a a Bryan Boyle.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don't hate the pick. I can't find anything negative about where he was drafted. He's a big center that isn't a cream puff. He's exactly what this team needs more of.

Certainly like most in this draft he is unpolished and needs to time to work on his game.

It isnt 1990. The team needs offensive creativity not Brian Boyle.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
We need ****ing skill. Take a swing. Great base hit by a bunch of losers trying to make playoffs

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
And some will absolutely argue this kid is that exact type player. I'll absolutely attest to that. Have you watched him play??

You're doing a lot of talk about how others should "watch him play", but really though, have you?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The Holland apologists have driven me mad to the point that I struggle to even read the Detroit board anymore (thank you History, Entertainment, Main, and Polls sections for still keeping me entertained.)

With that being said, I'm not going to be up in arms about this. Let's revisit down the road. Hope he becomes a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad