Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Didnt he rank like top 5 at testing for skating? Something like that anyway.

IIRC it was backwards skating that he ranked first in I think...with is very strange from a huge forward. I think his other skating results were very middle of the road.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Don't know much about Rasmussen and didn't get much of a feel for how he plays based on the highlight vids available,
so I watched the top prospects game and made a compilation of his shifts. Take it for what it's worth...

Thanks for putting this together! At 1:27, Rasmussen actually looks decently fast, even though he has a long skating stride.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for putting this together! At 1:27, Rasmussen actually looks decently fast, even though he has a long skating stride.

Gets beat that same play on the backcheck.

Couple of decent passes in the first 3 minutes though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Interesting. I wonder if they'll give him a shot if he has a strong camp (can play 9 games before they have to send him back)

Someone made a joke when we drafted him that he was taken at 9th because our power play was bad this year, and he was drafted to literally fill a void NOW. I laughed, because it was funny, but that sort of thing isn't Holland's MO. If he makes the team out of camp, then Jesus Christ.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I still think they should give him 9 games.

Why though? He's not NHL ready, he clearly needs to develop his playmaking and even strength production. I don't really see the need for 9 games this year, especially when we barely have room for Bertuzzi and Svechnikov who are both NHL ready.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Because it can't hurt and it'll further show the fans that this team is willing to continue to see what the kids can do.

He'll be sent down for sure, but it'll be a nice way to open LCA.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Could see them keeping him around until the last round of cuts but he'll be gone by the start of the season

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I could see it going down this way. I think they'll probably put precedents on Turgeon and Svechnikov, however.

Yeah, it's too bad that a guy like Svech, who has nearly twice the PPG in the CHL and a good pro season under his belt might get "precedents".

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I could see it going down this way. I think they'll probably put precedents on Turgeon and Svechnikov, however.

Yeah, it's too bad that a guy like Svech, who has nearly twice the PPG in the CHL and a good pro season under his belt might get precedents.

"Precedence" is the word you want.

I think giving Rasmussen a couple NHL games - not necessarily 9 - wouldn't hurt. If you've got a fragile personality who isn't ready, it's probably not a good idea, but if Rasmussen has the work ethic and character that we're told he does, then giving him a couple NHL games to see how the big boys play could give him some additional insight into what it takes to make it to the NHL.

chris05

May 23, 2013
I would definitely have him on the roster next year. Larkin was a dud the entire year and played at the NHL level. A new standard has been set and you have to applaud the wings for this new type of thinking.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I think everyone should just chill and see what he can do in the prospects tournament and main camp first, before "giving" him any Wings games next season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Larkin needs to start this upcoming season at center, which should fill all of our top 3 center spots.

Rasmussen needs to go back to Tri-City, where he was just named captain, and play 20+ minutes a night and work on diversifying his game further.

Then we can talk about him pushing for a spot next year.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Larkin needs to start this upcoming season at center, which should fill all of our top 3 center spots.

Rasmussen needs to go back to Tri-City, where he was just named captain, and play 20+ minutes a night and work on diversifying his game further.

Then we can talk about him pushing for a spot next year.

Yup.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think everyone should just chill and see what he can do in the prospects tournament and main camp first, before "giving" him any Wings games next season.
Agreed, only if he has a huge camp is it even worth discussing giving him the 9 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->