Prospect Info: At 96th Maksim Zhukov

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He's a good start to building a strong goalie pipeline and here's a small bit from a write-up I did of him.

It was a big decision for Maksim Zhukov to come over to North America for his draft year. Staying in Russia meant less exposure but he’d at least not have to worry about playing good and transitioning to a new ice surface. Instead Zhukov took the plunge ending up in the USHL following fellow Russian goalie Mikhail Berdin looking to show off his potential to the majority of scouts. It was successful as he’s worked his way into being a Top 5 goalie in the upcoming 2017 NHL Draft. Zhukov’s play style is a successful blend of quickness while getting his large frame around the net and in front of pucks. He has strong legs and plays just on the edge of being in control of how fast he’s going. I like how he’s able to quickly use his edges when he’s on his knees allowing him to quickly shut down chances in close. It’s being able to play this way that lead to Zhukov being named Top Goalie and to the All-Star team of the U18 WHC.

As mentioned above Zhukov does play on the edge of control in order to maximize just how quick he is but that does have drawbacks. Loss of footwork control does happen to Zhukov which causes him to slide out of position and ends up with him being behind the play. There is also the amount of focus that Zhukov puts into ensuring he’s the quickest goalie on the ice he becomes unable to focus fully on the shot. This leads to him just getting in front of the first shot with no concern for where the puck ends up. This ends up with Zhukov struggling in his rebound control in which he allows more dangerous rebounds than the average goalie especially on high danger area shots.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Welcome to Vegas Mr. Zhukov! Now that is a goalie name! :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Is he going to College since he came over to the USHL?

He's uncommitted when I checked immediately after the pick, pretty sure I heard someone mention Northeastern on the radio. Good chance I'm mixing him up with someone else though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->