Prospect Info: At 34th Overall the Golden Knights Select D Nicolas Hague

Anarchy Joe

Jun 30, 2013
Like the pick gonna have a team of all LHD though all our defencemen old and young are leftys

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Funny enough, Brannstrom was the second smallest player in the draft, and with our very next pick, we get the biggest player in the draft haha.

He's a better offensively Ben Harpur (if anyone is familiar with the Sens player)

Hulking defenseman that has plus skating for his size, and isnt afraid to skate the puck or start the break out.

Most likely a bottom pairing guy, but the potential is there for a very solid second pairing defenseman.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I love the big blueliners that can clear the crease. Welcome to Vegas Nicolas! Inspired pick IMO.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Really feels like we got four first rounders with this pick. Some had Hague ranked higher than Brannstrom. In fact he was higher on Bob McKenzie's final ranking.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Great pick. A few years away before he plays in the nhl but huge potential

Yeah big defensemen can take a long time to get comfortable, tend to take longer perhaps more accurately. But if there's one thing this guy has over most other guys his size it's good feet. And I like his 'tude too.

Got a feeling this guy might arrive at the big club quicker than expected.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Basically a low end 1st round pick, which would've made it 4 first rounders for Vegas this year.

He was projected as a first rounder according to Bobby Mac and ISS (hockeyprospects had him as a 2nd rounder though).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hope he's not the next Jared Cowen.:eek:

The last thing an expansion franchise needs is to sign a big defenseman to a big contract on hopes that he will continue to develop, only to watch him flatline and be bought out.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Hope he's not the next Jared Cowen.:eek:

The last thing an expansion franchise needs is to sign a big defenseman to a big contract on hopes that he will continue to develop, only to watch him flatline and be bought out.
I see and understand the comparison with Cowen or even Tinordi. But Hague last season with Mississauga was complete domination, of course it was a man playing against kids.

Cowen last season with Spokane in WHL was good, but he needed to be polished. In Cowen situation the bad management from the Sens completely killed the kid development. They almost directly send him to the big show when he needed further development. Still mind blowing that despite his early struggles, he only played 13 games in AHL, when everyone in Ottawa said that he needed time in minor.

That's why I like what Vegas is doing with Hague, they take their time, they don't rush the kid even if he's already a growing man. They don't get fooled by his numbers in OHL and let him face vets and learn pro hockey in AHL.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I see and understand the comparison with Cowen or even Tinordi. But Hague last season with Mississauga was complete domination, of course it was a man playing against kids.

Cowen last season with Spokane in WHL was good, but he needed to be polished. In Cowen situation the bad management from the Sens completely killed the kid development. They almost directly send him to the big show when he needed further development. Still mind blowing that despite his early struggles, he only played 13 games in AHL, when everyone in Ottawa said that he needed time in minor.

That's why I like what Vegas is doing with Hague, they take their time, they don't rush the kid even if he's already a growing man. They don't get fooled by his numbers in OHL and let him face vets and learn pro hockey in AHL.

Thats only partially true in regards to Cowen. He had 2 serious injuries to his knee and / or hips, and even when he was playing, he was never 100% outside of his rookie year. He lost all mobility from those injuries, and was never above average in the IQ department to make up for it as the dead puck era was over.

Now, I'm not defending Ottawa here. After Gonchar left (who he had an amazing rookie year playing along side) Cowen had way too much responsibility too early. He needed more seasoning, but nope, hes the 2nd pairing anchor....Its the same thing Ottawa is doing now with Cody Ceci. Everyone hates Ceci, but he hasnt exactly been put in a position to succeed.

If Hague got to play with Theodore / McNabb / or even Schmidt, he would do well I think. Still, I think he needs at least 1/2 a season in the minors.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Thats only partially true in regards to Cowen. He had 2 serious injuries to his knee and / or hips, and even when he was playing, he was never 100% outside of his rookie year. He lost all mobility from those injuries, and was never above average in the IQ department to make up for it as the dead puck era was over.

Now, I'm not defending Ottawa here. After Gonchar left (who he had an amazing rookie year playing along side) Cowen had way too much responsibility too early. He needed more seasoning, but nope, hes the 2nd pairing anchor....Its the same thing Ottawa is doing now with Cody Ceci. Everyone hates Ceci, but he hasnt exactly been put in a position to succeed.

If Hague got to play with Theodore / McNabb / or even Schmidt, he would do well I think. Still, I think he needs at least 1/2 a season in the minors.
Yes obviously injuries killed Cowen, I don't even know if he's retired or not? Hopefully they won't burn Brannstrom...

I think Hague looks pretty mature already, weirdly i think he could get even bigger, if he doesn't lose mobility thought. I don't think pairing him with McNabb would great, as they're two identical players. I could zee him with Theodore.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I have been a massive fan of this player since his pre-OHL days. He seems the kind of big, lanky defender who’ll be a solid NHL guy for a few years and then just explode into a legit top-pairing guy.

Anyhow, I see he’s starting tonight’s game on the first pair with Pietrangelo. I understand VGK is going through some blueline injury issues, but do you guys think he will stick? Play top-4 this season? Get powerplay opportunities? I’m strongly considering picking him up in fantasy and would greatly appreciate any advice. Cheers!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I have been a massive fan of this player since his pre-OHL days. He seems the kind of big, lanky defender who’ll be a solid NHL guy for a few years and then just explode into a legit top-pairing guy.

Anyhow, I see he’s starting tonight’s game on the first pair with Pietrangelo. I understand VGK is going through some blueline injury issues, but do you guys think he will stick? Play top-4 this season? Get powerplay opportunities? I’m strongly considering picking him up in fantasy and would greatly appreciate any advice. Cheers!
Two problems, the first of which he might never fix:

!. Skating. He is slow, and has taken to cheating the offensive blue line to avoid getting walked. Times when he could take a step forward to keep the puck in, he is backing up for fear that he gets blown by.

2. His turnovers are egregious and high danger. Couple that with his inability to skate, and you get opponent rushes with no defenders.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Mcnabb kind of sucks so I could see a world where Hague could take his spot in the top 4 if he is great here with Petro. Fully healthy Hague won't get any PP time.

Reactions: Dominance

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Two problems, the first of which he might never fix:

!. Skating. He is slow, and has taken to cheating the offensive blue line to avoid getting walked. Times when he could take a step forward to keep the puck in, he is backing up for fear that he gets blown by.

2. His turnovers are egregious and high danger. Couple that with his inability to skate, and you get opponent rushes with no defenders.
I second this

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I second this
I think he has improved greatly since last year. He's still slow, but he is learning to compensate. His hockey sense is improving. I think we have a number of problems, he isn't really one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->