Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
There are no CBA restrictions to Tolvanen playing in Nashville this year (that I have found), although he would have to sign an NHL SPC and he's yet to do that. Unless his contract is more than a 1 year contract, Jokerit would not need to void the contract so long as he fully completes it.

The rub, of course, is that the KHL regular season goes into April. And then there's the playoffs.

If Tolvanen is free from his responsibilities with Jokerit, and Nashville is still playing on a deep run, it would not shock me to see him sign an SPC and join the Black Aces in Nashville. I don't expect to see him play at all in a Nashville uniform this year.

Except his contract is 2 years, although year 2 has the player's option in it.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Except his contract is 2 years, although year 2 has the player's option in it.

That's interesting, but I'd suspect that Tolvanen would quickly void that second year and immediately be available from that standpoint.

I believe the KHL regular season ends at the beginning of March unless I read it wrong.

You may be right. When looking at their official site, I thought it ended at the beginning of March too. But I've read other sites that seemed to indicate April. Perhaps the latter included their playoffs and I didn't fully realize that.

Barring a ton of injuries, I still don't think he will play this year in Nashville.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
That's interesting, but I'd suspect that Tolvanen would quickly void that second year and immediately be available from that standpoint.

You may be right. When looking at their official site, I thought it ended at the beginning of March too. But I've read other sites that seemed to indicate April. Perhaps the latter included their playoffs and I didn't fully realize that.

Barring a ton of injuries, I still don't think he will play this year in Nashville.
regular season for KHL ends march 1st. playoffs start march 3rd and end April 26th. once jokerit gets O'Neill back, i see no reason they don't win at least a round in the playoffs. so i would guess his season would be done around the end of march.

it's probably best he just finish out over there and maybe practice with the team once his season is over but wait till next year to have the goal of making the team. would be a lot of games and travel for a kid. no need to rush his development when we are playing so well.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There are no CBA restrictions to Tolvanen playing in Nashville this year (that I have found), although he would have to sign an NHL SPC and he's yet to do that. Unless his contract is more than a 1 year contract, Jokerit would not need to void the contract so long as he fully completes it.

The rub, of course, is that the KHL regular season goes into April. And then there's the playoffs.

If Tolvanen is free from his responsibilities with Jokerit, and Nashville is still playing on a deep run, it would not shock me to see him sign an SPC and join the Black Aces in Nashville. I don't expect to see him play at all in a Nashville uniform this year.
I thought their last regular season game was March 1

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
regular season for KHL ends march 1st. playoffs start march 3rd and end April 26th. once jokerit gets O'Neill back, i see no reason they don't win at least a round in the playoffs. so i would guess his season would be done around the end of march.

it's probably best he just finish out over there and maybe practice with the team once his season is over but wait till next year to have the goal of making the team. would be a lot of games and travel for a kid. no need to rush his development when we are playing so well.

Agreed, which is why I wouldn't be shocked to see him join the Black Aces in Nashville and take in the ride from that perspective.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't expect him at all, but I thought the question was more interesting earlier in the year when it looked like we could really use a 2nd line RW.

Now with Smith ignited by Turris, it really lessens the need to think about Tolvanen for this year. If he did somehow come over, he'd be on the third line, and I suspect that's where he starts next season which should be good for his continued development.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
There was an article on Tolvanen recently on the Preds section of the NHL app. Paul Fenton speaks highly on him saying, to make it short, “his future is bright with us, whether it’s this year, next year, or the year after that.”
Does that mean it’s possible for him to join us this season? I was under the impression he wouldn’t be able to most likely. Are there any scenarios where he could this season?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There was an article on Tolvanen recently on the Preds section of the NHL app. Paul Fenton speaks highly on him saying, to make it short, “his future is bright with us, whether it’s this year, next year, or the year after that.”
Does that mean it’s possible for him to join us this season? I was under the impression he wouldn’t be able to most likely. Are there any scenarios where he could this season?
Have you read this thread?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'm pretty sure if he signs his ELC he could join us after his KHL season is finished. Whether we decide to do that is an open Question and of course in part depends on how far Jokerit goes in the playoffs as well as our situation

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Seems to me like his confidence is low. He can't catch a break, nothing's going in.

E: He just got hit to the head. Hoping he's OK. Ugly hit.

E2: He's back on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: FierceFalcon

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah Tolvanen didn't miss more than one or so shifts.. he has had some good chances today but someone seems to block his shots at the last moment.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Lost his center the 2nd best player O’Neill to injury for a month and had to play with scrubs. Things will start to look better once O’Neill and Tolvanen are reunited.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Wish Fabbro could get healthy in time we'd have 3 players there because I think Harper is in for USA.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Lost his center the 2nd best player O’Neill to injury for a month and had to play with scrubs. Things will start to look better once O’Neill and Tolvanen are reunited.
He has not played with scrubs, Joensuu is not good this season, but Norman is far from a scrub player.

He seems to be missing the confidence he had earlier in the season.

And one thing i've noticed so far this season from him is that he can be a bit inconsistent, and his best effort seems to be missing sometimes.

IMO he could use another season in the KHL, rounding out his game and to get him to put some consistent effort out there.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well and if he is putting up those numbers this season I'm not sure another year in the KHL does much for his development. I fully expect him to be over here next season in a Preds uniform.

May not happen, but that's what I think happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad