Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He should have had a second assist but a ref mistake disallowed a good goal.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
jokerit wins 2-0. 1 assist, 3 SOG. i think it's safe to say at this point we have a lot to be excited about with this kid. jokerit is now 16-1-1

The way he handles pressure is unbelievable.. He is so calm and collective. His hockey IQ is almost the same level as Sebastian Aho's.. He is very underrated passer, as he makes clutch passes almost at every game. And his shot.. It's not that far from Patty's.... It's scary really how good he is already.

And today he even went and defended Brian O'Neill after he was treated badly.

I am utterly overjoyed about his gameplay, and I'm not the only one :D

Reactions: Enoch

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He should have had a second assist but a ref mistake disallowed a good goal.

Yeah it was huge mistake by the refs.
Yes i was on that Jokerit vs UFA game ( my first live KHL game ever).

Puck was clearly over the goal line so disallowing that goal was totally weird.
But in Russia winds different winds than in Finland.

Tolvanen also had few scoring chances by herself but he didn't have luck to finish them.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I took four semesters of Arabic in college and got three As and a B without ever actually learning the language.

I learned Shukran and Minfatlak and nothing towards attractive ladies when I was in Morocco in the 90's with my better half.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
That would make sense, since they're both romance languages, IOW derived from Latin (Rome) as opposed to Germanic. English is Germanic in nature but borrows a lot from other languages.

merda (l) = merde (fr) = mierde (sp)
scitte (ger)=our term

You see the relativity.

Derived from Latin might be too strong. Roman culture was a big part of it and the language contributed a lot, especially in the vocabulary. But overall, linguistically, it's more nuanced than that. That's the beauty of it.

Roman Latin was a major influence even after Rome gradually collapsed, but the original popular languages are a big part too. French is very different from Spanish. Gauls, Celts, Moors, Germanics, go figure in the Romance language countries.

English is very Germanic and after the Anglo-Saxon period before Old English very much got cozy and isolated. The borrowings were mostly forced. William the Conqueror established (then) French as royal court lingo in the noughties, then Renaissance Latin unfortunately affected grammar as we know it, including vocabulary. [But the rest of the world would pay £googleplex to get to go back in time and kill William Caxton.]

Sidetracks aside, it's mierda in Spanish, and scheisse in German. You were thinking skit in Swedish? It's paska in our beautific non-indo-european local talk... I don't think the latecomer slavic languages borrowed that. ok enough lol

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I learned Shukran and Minfatlak and nothing towards attractive ladies when I was in Morocco in the 90's with my better half.

I could've learned شكرا from the first level in a Splinter Cell game for about $4,000 less than I spent to look impressive to a stranger saying it, yet here we are.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I could've learned شكرا from the first level in a Splinter Cell game for about $4,000 less than I spent to look impressive to a stranger saying it, yet here we are.
Was that in the 90's? The first proper 3dMark was 2000

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Derived from Latin might be too strong.

Sidetracks aside, it's mierda in Spanish, and scheisse in German. You were thinking skit in Swedish? It's paska in our beautific non-indo-european local talk... I don't think the latecomer slavic languages borrowed that. ok enough lol
I was just using an etymology dictionary for merde:

Word Origin and History for merde
n.
also merd, "dung," late 15c., from French merde "feces, excrement, dirt" (13c.), from Latin merda "dung, ordure, excrement," of unknown origin. Naturalized in English through 17c., but subsequently lost and since mid-19c. (and especially since World War I) generally treated as a French word when used in English.

I missed that it was Old English rather than Germanic:

Old English scitte ‘diarrhea,’ of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schijten, German scheissen (verb). The term was originally neutral and used without vulgar connotation.

I was in college approximately 40 years ago--I remembered the general idea--ha!

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I was in college approximately 40 years ago--I remembered the general idea--ha!

I can still smell the, um, pile of cack. Metallurgigal terms.

Nice talking to you. There'd be less misunderstandings if people did more Linguistics, but how does that happen?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I can still smell the, um, pile of cack. Metallurgigal terms.

Nice talking to you. There'd be less misunderstandings if people did more Linguistics, but how does that happen?

My son took linguistics because I encouraged him to. He loved it--used it to learn about language but also used the technical part of it. He teaches English in Japan and used the information about the positioning of the tongue to teach them how to make sounds they are not used to making. I thought that was pretty creative!

Reactions: Torque

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Yeah, my bad Spanish phrase isn't about merde. Its a (very) crude remark when directed at a female. Id never, ever say it in english. But I had a Cuban roommate my senior year of undergrad, so...

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'd think we would have to be desperate to burn a year of his ELC for that short if a time. If he could come over and practice with the team without counting as a season, maybe

I don't think it would burn a year of ELC. I've been following Filip Chytil with the Rangers. He was expected to get 9 games with the Rangers and then back to the Czech league. But the Rangers sent him to the AHL instead. Apparently he can play up to 40 games there (going off memory so maybe that number is slightly off).

The ELC will slide in that case. But what playing here does is count as a pro season towards UFA status. I'm not sure how it would affect Tolvanen since he wouldn't come anywhere close to 40 games in NHL/AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->