Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
S'all good. My list isn't public haha. My list is fairly close to CA's though, since I was one of the 5 that made that list.

Vesalainen okay as a pick at 24?

I loved him at the u 18, and his shot metrics in the pros were very impressive.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
For all the people bringing up character issues, ill remind you that they said the same exact thing about Laine last year. Does anyone have a problem with Laine's character now? .........

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The inabilities to get deals done seem like it's from him being to cheap and always trying to make to good of a deal for the team. That's like hitting my head against a brick wall and feeling sorry for myself. You have to give to get. And Chevy does not want to give.

Perhaps. Have to wonder if being #1 on NTC lists might factor in.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What really caught my attention though was some of the underlying stats surrounding his time in the Finnish Liiga. Many operated under the assumption that Vesalainen�s stint in Liiga this season was largely a disappointment � myself included. Yet digging deeper into the fancy stats that Liiga posts on their website paints a picture of bad luck more than anything. Vesalainen�s Corsi-For percentage in Liiga was a whopping 60.8 percent. Granted, that�s only in nine games, but he managed to accumulate a shot differential of +43 in that short time (+121/-78), averaging 16:31 of ice time, while also averaging an even 3.0 shots per game, which is also impressive. Vesalainen finally scored on his 27th and final shot on goal.

The explanation for only notching a single goal probably lies somewhere between his 3.7% personal shooting percentage, his 2.5% on-ice shooting percentage and the fact that he got just 59 second of power play time. It�s likely that Vesalainen deserved much better results during his time in Finland, but alas after that ninth game his time there was up, as he headed to the World Junior camp.

I like.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So far so good. Got nice value at #24 and more than likely have a future NHLer. Like the pick. If we stayed at #13 likely we have a defenseman, but no more likely to be an impact player then the player we selected but in a position of greater need. Still need to address goaltending and best case scenario add a LHD.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
The inabilities to get deals done seem like it's from him being to cheap and always trying to make to good of a deal for the team. That's like hitting my head against a brick wall and feeling sorry for myself. You have to give to get. And Chevy does not want to give.

This narrative is tiresome. You have no idea what deals have been attempted. In fact, Chevy himself said they were working on something impactful, but it fell through. There are lots of moving parts in NHL deals.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk

He might also be hampered by the fact that Winnipeg seems to be on every player's no trade list. Chevy might have the hardest GM job in the league.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
After watching some highlights, it looks like his game is made for the NHL. He has a powerful stride, is very successful fighting for pucks, likes to hit and has a very good offensive game. Speaking of his offence, I wouldn't say he is a dynamic player but he is definitely a smart one. Finds the open ice well, makes smart passes and has a good shot. His vision is definitely one of his best assets. Could be a James Neal type player at best.

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't have a video for this year because I'm working closely with Mark Edwards/Hockey Prospect... but here's what I made before February.

Now that he's a Jets pick I'll be making a 2016-17 highlight video.

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
For all the people bringing up character issues, ill remind you that they said the same exact thing about Laine last year. Does anyone have a problem with Laine's character now? .........

If you want to be negative, the difference is, that Laine's behavioural issues were handled and dealt with. Mostly because he was not allowed to bail out and get that 'clean slate, new beginning in the new surroundings' crap. Vesalainen more or less has always bailed what I have heard from.

But he is also a young kid and life will teach him. And hopefully he will not be allowed to just move on to next place, when things don't go as he wish from now on.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If you want to be negative, the difference is, that Laine's behavioural issues were handled and dealt with. Mostly because he was not allowed to bail out and get that 'clean slate, new beginning in the new surroundings' crap. Vesalainen more or less has always bailed what I have heard from.

But he is also a young kid and life will teach him. And hopefully he will not be allowed to just move on to next place, when things don't go as he wish from now on.

I think going to a tougher league shows some positive character. He's a kid that is confident and I think playing on the same team as Laine will be good for him. A lot of these kids are like this because they want to make the NHL, but they adjust once they're there.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't have a video for this year because I'm working closely with Mark Edwards/Hockey Prospect... but here's what I made before February.

Now that he's a Jets pick I'll be making a 2016-17 highlight video.

Can't wait! Great videos as always. The first one has some great plays by Vessy.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
So far so good. Got nice value at #24 and more than likely have a future NHLer. Like the pick. If we stayed at #13 likely we have a defenseman, but no more likely to be an impact player then the player we selected but in a position of greater need. Still need to address goaltending and best case scenario add a LHD.

Pretty sad when we can say best case scenario is getting a player we need to improve our team. It should be a givin. Not a if but a when.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I like the pick. Had him 17 on my list. He reminds me of Armia but I think he's a better skater. This will be a guy in a year or two where we say how did he fall all the way to us at 24 much like we said about Connor falling. He's a safe pick IMO and who cares if he's a winger, take BPA! Stock pile talent. Trades will happen to fill organizational need we can never have enough talent at any position. I like where Pronman had him! Hoping this kid can make dev camp.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Mark Edwards"

I'm not going to include exact quotes, but several Scouts told me that his interview was their least favourite at this years NHL Combine".

Mark dropped him due to what appear to be possible character issues.

Really talented but I have concerns about that.....hope people are wrong? Perhaps our Fin friends can expand?

That's just how Finns talk, they're very stoic and to-the-point, they can seem disinterested in any conversation :laugh:

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
I like the pick. Had him 17 on my list. He reminds me of Armia but I think he's a better skater. This will be a guy in a year or two where we say how did he fall all the way to us at 24 much like we said about Connor falling. He's a safe pick IMO and who cares if he's a winger, take BPA! Stock pile talent. Trades will happen to fill organizational need we can never have enough talent at any position. I like where Pronman had him! Hoping this kid can make dev camp.

Where are these trades? I don't see any. I bet not one trade happens this calendar year

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think they wanted this kid all along and chevy was stressing if they should move up a couple of spots to take him or just wait for those 2 picks to get chosen.

Didn't you also think Chevy had some strategy with the XD draft that would be revealed at the entry draft? Or was that 50 other posters?

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
I think going to a tougher league shows some positive character. He's a kid that is confident and I think playing on the same team as Laine will be good for him. A lot of these kids are like this because they want to make the NHL, but they adjust once they're there.

Yeah, but burning bridges while doing so doesn't. Nor does publicly telling how bad those former teams/their coaches were/treated him either.

And let's face it: there would had been enough for Vesalainen to work on in the HIFK too. Staying didn't seem to hurt Heiskanen that much, nor was Vesalainen too good to Liiga, when he fled to Sweden (nor too good to SHL, when he came back to Liiga and HPK.)

But again, young kid, life will teach him. Being arrogant and not taking direction well at 18 certainly isn't end of the world nor does it mean there would be something fundamentally wrong in him or his character. Just hope Jets takes character building into account when considering how to develop him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad