Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Great to see him putting up the points. .7 PPG is a very solid target from him, compares well with guys like Teravainen. If he continues like this and goes over like .8-.9 PPG we might have something really special. Hoping he can keep this run going. Maybe I will now start using my Ruutu subscription again.

And please no to the "Vaseline" nickname, that's just gross.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Great to see him putting up the points. .7 PPG is a very solid target from him, compares well with guys like Teravainen. If he continues like this and goes over like .8-.9 PPG we might have something really special. Hoping he can keep this run going. Maybe I will now start using my Ruutu subscription again.

Whats wrong with Vaseline?

His signature move will be "sneaking up from the backdoor and score!"

WigWam

May 22, 2015

Ok let´s just call him "Tom of finland" if vaseline is not ok.....

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Happy to see him do well. I thought I'd follow him more closely this season, but then Tolvanen happened and I needed to save time for the Jets as well. Vesalainen was really good at the end of last year and if he can bring some of that jr domination into FEL, there is a real chance he ends up being a keeper.

Reactions: Ippenator

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't see much of Vesalainen last season, but his performance at the U-18 was eye opening. At the time I mused that he might be a good option for the Jets at #13. I think he has high potential, and if he puts it together could be a high impact player for the Jets down the line. I'm interested to see how he stacks up in the U-20 WJHC this year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Im hopeful that Vesalainen turns into a poor man’s Andrew Ladd. Size, strength, hard on the forecheck. Maybe a bit better or faster skater but likely not a 30 goal scorer either. That is missing from our lineup. But paying Ladd $5.5 mill over 7 years wasn’t the answer either so I hope Vesalainen can come close to filling that role or hole in the lineup.

Even if he turns into the Chicago Blackhawks cup winning version of Andrew Ladd that would be a very nice addition to this team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Does he have a chance of being part of the U20 team this year?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Age wise or team wise?

Has 2 more years of eligibility and HPK only has a couple of games during the tournament time. I would think they would allow him to play.

Well yes they would release him to play in that tourney obviously. I was asking if he's playing well enough to make the team.

Tournament is in Buffalo this year

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He made the U20 team last year as a 17 year old so yes he should be there as an 18 year old.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Well yes they would release him to play in that tourney obviously. I was asking if he's playing well enough to make the team.

He should be one of their leaders on the team this year based on last years U20 and U18 tournaments alone.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Does he have a chance of being part of the U20 team this year?

He is a lock to make the team. Should be very good team too. Välimäki, Heiskanen, Juolevi, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Ikonen, Heponiemi, Luukkonen, and possibly Puljujärvi and Kuokkanen

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He is a lock to make the team. Should be very good team too. Välimäki, Heiskanen, Juolevi, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Ikonen, Heponiemi, Luukkonen, and possibly Puljujärvi and Kuokkanen

Not sure how much of the tourney I'll be able to watch. Going away after Christmas. But glad to hear it

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He'd definitely be selected. He was the best forward on any team in the U-18 tournament and an easy choice for the he U-20 team, especially with his good play in Liiga this season so far.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
On the third line today, 1 SOG in 12 and a half minutes of icetime.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
1+1 now. Great move to set up the tying goal on pp

edit. I guess not then. It got overturned for some weird reason...? That's a really shit call if you ask me

Last edited by a moderator:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
The goal wasn't on perfectly so a goal got denied, I think? But the goal wasn't kicked out any time close to the goal, so basically HPK wasted 1,5min of pp time with out having any chance of scoring because the goal wasnt on. That's f***ing dumb. The shot wasnt even close to the post so it would have been in anyways. HPK fans must be furious

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Geez, I assumed he'd be a multi-year project. I wonder if there's any chance he's ready for a 3rd line role by next year if he can maintain or even improve upon this pace?

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Roslovic - Vesalainen
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Petan/Lemieux

That would allow for 3 scoring lines and a hybrid 4th line that could chew up PK time and be good defensively while still being able to contribute on the scoresheet from time to time.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Geez, I assumed he'd be a multi-year project. I wonder if there's any chance he's ready for a 3rd line role by next year if he can maintain or even improve upon this pace?

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Roslovic - Vesalainen
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Petan/Lemieux

That would allow for 3 scoring lines and a hybrid 4th line that could chew up PK time and be good defensively while still being able to contribute on the scoresheet from time to time.

I would love if he could step right in but I think he's definitely going to spend time in the AHL

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I didnt mind the pick at the time but find myself really liking it now.

Organizational needs are finicky things and tend to change often . Just last season we thought we needed a lot of d. Well fast forward to now and with Morrissey and Trouba continuing to establish themselves as top pairing guys, Poolman looking like a potential 2nd pairing dmen and Niku with a strong start in NA defense looks to actually be rounding unto form nicely.

JoMo Trouba
××× Poolman
Niku ××××

Couple that with some very promising play from some of our other prospects like Stanley, Samberg, Kovacevic and Gawke and it's not as pressing imo.

Meanwhile our lack of bottom 6 depth is shinning through as Petan, Dano etc are having difficulty adapting.

The team has a lot of more finesse and solid two way oriented forwar but that adding a big fast and skilled power forward will add a valuable dimension to the team.

A future third line of Perrault- Roslovic - Vaselinen could give opposimg teams fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad