Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Just read an article about KV on newspaper this morning. He seems to get more confidence and is really getting hang of things now. Last 4 games 4+1 and today 0+3. :popcorn:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We call him Vesalaine.
I think his friends call him Krisu

:laugh: Still 5 syllables but i wouldn't expect any less. Does Vesa mean something like little, lesser, junior, etc? :laugh:

Krisu doesn't fit a typical NA way of shortening names but I could learn to use that.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am going to call him Kevin. My friend had a dog named Kevin once and I liked it. So in my screwed up brain this somehow works.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I am going to call him Kevin. My friend had a dog named Kevin once and I liked it. So in my screwed up brain this somehow works.
That was Jyrki Jokipakka's nickname, he invented it by himself because Starbucks' employees couldn't get his actual name right. He may have been a fringe NHLer, but that nickname was amongst the best in the league.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just noticed you can't spell Vesalainen without Laine. I can see it now, the "Laine" line centered by Linus Linseman (I made that last name up BTW)

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
:laugh: Still 5 syllables but i wouldn't expect any less. Does Vesa mean something like little, lesser, junior, etc? :laugh:

Krisu doesn't fit a typical NA way of shortening names but I could learn to use that.

Ve-sa-lai-nen (or Ve-sa-lai-ne as it could be said at Tampere) has 4 syllables, not 5. And come on, you have already practiced the last two ;-)

I'm not really sure about the full etymology of Vesalainen (Vesa is just like Trillian said, young tree, sapling, offspring, child, son), but I would guess it could be about "little sapling".

Great to hear that Vesalainen has finally found his game. I honestly haven't followed his play this season even though I have the Ruutu package so that I could watch all of his games. Since I have watched all the Jets' games so far and about 1/3 of the games of my favourite team, Tappara, I don't really have had any time to watch HPK's games.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh:

If KV turns out as well as some here have suggested Chevy's XD move becomes pure genius in hindsight. :laugh:
I think talent wise he is up there with some of the hoped for D-man at #13, he just wasn't seen as a position of need. Lots can change over time however. Either way really nice to see him start revving it up.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I just noticed you can't spell Vesalainen without Laine. I can see it now, the "Laine" line centered by Linus Linseman (I made that last name up BTW)

OT, but did you know that your favorite player also played his "breakthrough season" in FEL Tappara? Back in 1988-89. I was very young then but I remember nevertheless something. He made 67 points in only 44 games, and that's still the second highest point total ever made by a Tappara player. Teppo Numminen from Tappara did made it into Jets 1.0 at that same 88-89 season. Oh the memories...

sorry for OT

Reactions: Ippenator

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
:laugh: Needs something. Kristian Vesalainen has 18 letters and at least 8 syllables.

What do the Finns call him for short?

Krisu is the usual nickname for Kristians in Finland, as someone mentioned, but I'll probably just wait for his teammates to decide his nickname. Or maybe he'll earn his nickname in his rookie season, Like Hatrik Laine and Bambi

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ve-sa-lai-nen (or Ve-sa-lai-ne as it could be said at Tampere) has 4 syllables, not 5. And come on, you have already practiced the last two ;-)

I'm not really sure about the full etymology of Vesalainen (Vesa is just like Trillian said, young tree, sapling, offspring, child, son), but I would guess it could be about "little sapling".

Great to hear that Vesalainen has finally found his game. I honestly haven't followed his play this season even though I have the Ruutu package so that I could watch all of his games. Since I have watched all the Jets' games so far and about 1/3 of the games of my favourite team, Tappara, I don't really have had any time to watch HPK's games.

Ve-sa-la-i-ne I count 5. I know that I is slid into the la but there is just enough of it pronounced to count. Are you trying to minimize Finnish generosity with letters and syllables? :laugh:

I expect some ups and downs in his scoring but he is looking good so far.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ve-Sa-Lai-Nen is 4 syllables. "i" isn't a separate syllable.

I think that a good nickname would certainly be something obvious like "Krisu Vesku". No need to re-invent the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad