Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's really good. I don't think he's nearly strong enough. But everything else he does is really impressive. Thinks the game like an NHL player and has NHL skating too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think 100% of players that get drafted need to get stronger to come into the NHL, well except maybe manchild Ekblad. Valimaki is lanky for sure, but he has a nice frame that he will grow into.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Given his size, that's somewhat concerning.

He looks lanky strong to me though. I have a similar body type to Juuso I think. It will just take him a few years to put on 15 pounds without getting slower. But it's not uncommon and I'd say he's stronger then Kulak, Kylington, or Andersson were in their draft years. I wouldn't be worried about his size/strength in the least. Plus the game is moving towards a smaller type of defencemen unless there is the odd Seth Jones, Colton Parayko, Ryan Suter.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Serious question though- I concur that if he's only marginally better than Kulak, Kylington, or Wotherspoon he will not make the team. However, if he proves to be head and shoulders above all of them (certainly has the potential to be...) how could we justify keeping him off the roster? Kulak and Wotherspoon have both gotten extended looks and frankly I have a hard time believing either of them have anything more to show us. Kylington could make some great strides this off season but he has question marks that Vali just doesn't have. I think he could surprise us!!
Andersson is great but I think that Gulu's aversion to playing dmen out of place will likely keep him in the AHL unless we have an injury.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Just not sure why you would expect him to be head and shoulders above those guys.

Because Kulak and Wotherspoon have both been given NHL stints already and neither was noteworthy, at all. In spite of potential mental lapses, I would even throw Kylington in ahead of those two because he has tangible skills that are superior to them (skating and puck control).

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Because Kulak and Wotherspoon have both been given NHL stints already and neither was noteworthy, at all. In spite of potential mental lapses, I would even throw Kylington in ahead of those two because he has tangible skills that are superior to them (skating and puck control).

There are plenty of "tangible skills" in which Kulak is (at least currently) superior to Kylington. In the case of reading plays, breaking out of his own zone and positioning he's clearly the better and more polished defender. He's also more physical, which is valuable.

Wotherspoon is better positioning-wise but I definitely favour Kylington over him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Kulak was noteworthy in his play with the puck and his offensive instincts. He's a good skater, too. Wotherspoon is not noteworthy, you're right. But you don't need your bottom-pairing guys to be noteworthy. You just need them to not cost the team.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
(I know this has nothing to do with Valimaki)...

Am I the only one that thinks Wotherspoon has kind of got screwed over on this team? I feel like he has always been a decent 6/7 defenseman, but management always signed people like Grossman or even Bartkowski to play over him. Just never really quite understood that.

EDIT: and we're having a conversation about defenseman in the other thread :laugh:... Mods, you should move my comment.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is he? Have you seen him play?

He's extremely dynamic. If things go smoothly he'll be a better-skating Klingberg.

I've always thought that Liljegren is super overrated because he's a Leaf prospect.

Nah.

He's supposed to be an offensive Dman but his stats say something else. But that's all i can say without seeing him play.

If you're talking about last season, you need some context - he was an 18yo defenseman in a mens league. Contrast that with, for example, Valimaki who was a 19yo defenseman in a boys league. The high-end skill and skating are evident.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He outscored Kylington by a whopping 5 points in their respective 18/19 year old AHL seasons (and only had 1 goal), and Kylington played on a shit team whereas Liljegren played on the Calder Champs. Kylington also outscored him in their draft year in all three leagues they played in.

Why is Liljegren rated so highly and Ollie isn't? Ollie is just as good a skater and dynamic, if not more so. Leafs bias and nothing more. I'd rather have Vali, Ollie and Rasmus over Liljegren.

Had Vali not been on a CHL team he would have been in the AHL as well (he got drafted out of the CHL so couldn't go to the AHL), he's too good for the WHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
JPeep, I agree. I honestly won’t be surprised will Kylington makes the team in October. I have a feeling he’s gonna have a monster camp.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean...I'll take your word for it. Maybe i'll catch a few of his games next season.

Not the greatest idea, taking the word.
There's some posters on this forum, where you can take their opinions and player evaluations with a major grain of salt. This would be one of those situations.

Liljegren is an good defensive prospect, akin to anyone else picked in the middle first round. He had a solid D+1 season in the AHL, where he played as a bottom pair offensive Dman. His statistics and play don't put him much further ahead than a guy like Oliver Kylington at his age.

He's a great little prospect, but the logo on his jersey means more than anything. If the roles were reversed, Juuso would be considered the better of the two.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm ok with Valimaki flying under the radar and developing without major hype to distract him...

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He outscored Kylington by a whopping 5 points in their respective 18/19 year old AHL seasons (and only had 1 goal), and Kylington played on a **** team whereas Liljegren played on the Calder Champs. Kylington also outscored him in their draft year in all three leagues they played in.

Why is Liljegren rated so highly and Ollie isn't? Ollie is just as good a skater and dynamic, if not more so. Leafs bias and nothing more. I'd rather have Vali, Ollie and Rasmus over Liljegren.

Had Vali not been on a CHL team he would have been in the AHL as well (he got drafted out of the CHL so couldn't go to the AHL), he's too good for the WHL.

This all has more to do with Oliver Kylington being mad underrated, not Liljegren being overrated.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I haven't seen him at this camp but I feel that Valimaki is such a good prospect that I'd like to see him with top four minutes right away.

Hanifin - Valimaki
Kulak - Hamonic

I know there is zero chance this happens though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->